Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

can we use Engine Oil 10W40 in a Manual Transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can we use Engine Oil 10W40 in a Manual Transmission?

i need some help, Honda MTF is not available here,,a Honda Expert here told me to put 10w40 Engine Oil Castrol in my Manual Transmission,,,, shud i do that?caz i will be driving my car around 4000Km in the next two days, and my transmission is hard to shift the first and second gear,and grinding sound is there while releasing the clutch,,,what shud i do please?

On the back of the owners manual it was 10w 30 motor oil

Comment

so that means that we can Put Castrol 10w40 Engine oil in the MANUAL TRANMISSION of my car?and no harm will be done?

Comment

Originally posted by saqi44 View Post
        so that means that we can Put Castrol 10w40 Engine oil in the MANUAL TRANMISSION of my car?and no harm will be done?
        Wont know for sure... but if you would like to find out then do it anyway.
        I recommend OEM Honda Manual transmission Fluid but if I have to use one I would use the 10W30 before 10W40.
        Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

i m just confused with only one thing, ENGINE OIL? the oil which we use in engine can b used in our transmissions??? i need to change the oil,,so that means i can put Castrol Engine Oil 10w30 in my transmission?

Comment

He's only asking because mtf isn't available. You can get mtf by all means get it
            Life's a garden. Dig it.

Comment

I put 10W 30 in my transmission, it worked perfectly fine and for the duration i owned that car in working order no harm was done

some members here will also tell you to try GM syncromesh but i have not personally used it.

Comment

Drove around with 5w-30 for a few days till I could get some MTF. No problems.
                wat?

Comment

Engine oil is fine in the 5 speed transmissions. Check your owners manual (or download the factory manual) and use the recommended weight for your region's climate (especially since you live in Saudi Arabia so it's kind of hard to reccomend the right oil).

Comment

Originally posted by saqi44 View Post
                    i m just confused with only one thing, ENGINE OIL? the oil which we use in engine can b used in our transmissions??? i need to change the oil,,so that means i can put Castrol Engine Oil 10w30 in my transmission?
                    Engine oil is okay my friend!! yes 10W30 work okay in a Honda transmission.
                    But if you can get the Honda MTF fluid it work better.
                    Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                      I put 10W 30 in my transmission, it worked perfectly fine and for the duration i owned that car in working order no harm was done

some members here will also tell you to try GM syncromesh but i have not personally used it.
                      same here, no problems either.

op, i'd definitely stick with 10w30 though

Click picture to see my mrt
                      Instagram: sikz6

Comment

I have experienced grinding with motor oil, which went away when I used GM Synchromesh (similar reports have been made about the new Honda Synthetic MTF.... but I haven't tried that myself.)

Comment

so nice of you all ,, i went to the dealership of Honda in the morning when i was on my way to my workshop, they said that Motor oil would do perfectly fine, and MANUAL GEAR TRANSMISSION oil 90W120 is not recommended for Hondas, so he told me to flush the gear with 10W40 and to refill it again ,,,, thats what i did, the car is smooth but the shifting still makes the noise, i guess the fork inside is not good,,, just will b leaving in an hour and will drive 4000 till tomorrow,,,see what happens,,, thanx all,,,i was confused till morning but now that i have read ur expertise,,,all is well

Comment

Glad to see solved that.
                            I'm using Mobil 10W-40 last 10000km and it works perfect so don't worry.
                            This is HONDA!

Comment

Its recommended that you use 10w-30 motor oil and i was told to mix it with a lil bit of gear oil to increase thickness of the weight cause just motor oil alone is to thin.

Comment

Working...
                              X