Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

starting fluid doesn't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting fluid doesn't work

what does it mean if starting fluid doesn't wont turn the engine over? thought the fuel pump was shot, but if the fuel pump was the prob. wouldn't starting fluid make it turn over. the pump isn't coming on at all ,would the pgm-fi main relay prevent it from coming on at all? if so where under the dash is it.

My philosophy is, that if you need to go through that much trouble to get a EFI car started; you're not digging down deep enough.
    It also my personal opinion, that, starter fluid is fail. Unless you're using it for a smaller carbed engine such as two stroke.

There are many threads probably related to your specific issue, but I'll throw out the basics here.

Spark?
    Fuel? Listen for the pump to prime. So it isn't? then you most likely have a bad main relay. Although I've worked on many of these that had a bad pump, and/or.

Your main relay also controls more than just the fuel pump. It also controls power to the injectors, ignition, and ECU. Think of it as a high-lo switch of sorts. It does quite a bit; hence the reason why they go out so often (also these are old cars). You should hear a total of 4 clicks.

You said the fuel pump isn't coming on at all. Any CEL's? Any oddities that did not occur previously? Did you just buy the car with a bad pump, or did it just recently go out.

It's under the dash, Driver's side. Pretty much straight up from the center of the column and the dash panel that surrounds it. You have to move your cruise control unit and a couple other goodies around to access it; but it is there. And once again, I'll additionally put it out there that techauto.awardspace.com will become your best friend.

Good luck.

life is good.

Comment

i had just done an engine swap, and the engine ran fine until yesterday (1 day total). started it fine yesterday to move it out of my way. started fine, ran fine shut it off restarted it started fine, ran fine, let it idle for 5 mins. went to move it back to my driveway and it just died on me and hasn't started since. died in gear while moving ( slowley).

Comment

Originally posted by 00rx7 View Post
        i had just done an engine swap, and the engine ran fine until yesterday (1 day total). started it fine yesterday to move it out of my way. started fine, ran fine shut it off restarted it started fine, ran fine, let it idle for 5 mins. went to move it back to my driveway and it just died on me and hasn't started since. died in gear while moving ( slowley).
        Did you check the timing belt? You have spark? Did you check all your grounds..? Mainly the thermostat ground.

Comment

I'd say, since you just swapped go back over everything- I know it's a PITA but just to make sure. Them try the MR. Even go to the boneyard and grab one for cheap if you can. New aftermarket ones are damn pricey for what they are- not to mention Mitsuba's new.

This happened to me too man, which is why I speak from experience. On two of my CB's as of late. Driving along one day from a relatively long trip and boom. Car shut off. It would always restart in the beginning but then it just got worse and would stall in traffic, on the freeway, hell-anywhere really. Then it came to the point where it wouldn't start at all; but I had fuel yet no spark. Then other times it would sputter but stay running. I thought @ first it was an ignition issue (granted this was before I was a mechanic and was 16 and didn't know any better). So like a dumbass went around replacing the ignitor since the tach would drop almost instantly I swore up and down that was the problem.

Well needless to say, I learned the expensive way. You could even just re-solder your current one to keep the cost down even moar! Once you locate that little bastard, pop it apart and check the board and circuitry. I wish I had a good enough camera to zoom so I could show you an old one that appeared at first glance functional, but had been heated up and no longer made a solid connection. They're very sensitive.

Also I've seen a wiring fluke to the pump, but I truly hope for your sanity's sake it's not an issue such as that. So if you haven't yet, go back and check all wiring, grounds, connectors, the harnesses anything having to do with fuel pump power, signal, not necessarily delivery but you catch my drift.

life is good.

Comment

i've been under the since it got light.i started tearing the underside of the dash apart .i have found a few relays under there, and just want to make sure i have found the right one before i go pulling it out and apart to check. can anyone post some pics of it's location or even a good pic of an old main relay? thanks 00rx7

Comment

i found it and replaced it. still no fuel pump. i guess that means replace the fuel pump? woo hoo

Comment

If you're sure the pump isn't turning on, and the relay is good... then yes, it is most likely bad. Just to be sure, pull a spark plug, crank the engine, and smell for fuel. It's the easiest way to determine if there is fuel flowing. Replacing the fuel pump is a pain in the ass, so you want to be absolutely sure you need to before you start tearing things apart!

Comment

Working...
                X