Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Faulty ECU ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy crap... Yeah, that company is taking you for a ride! Especially since the chip with the proper program should have come with the ECU in the first place. That's like if you called a pizza shop and asked for a large pizza... but didn't say what you wanted on it... so they send you a box with dry bread in it.

They're basically selling you something for $60 that you paid for with the ECU initially. The chip itself costs no more than $2, and shipping it, even overnight, wouldn't be more than $20. It's tiny, and weighs nothing at all. Essentially, you're paying $40 for a part that they didn't include because they don't care enough about their customer to say "hey, what engine is this for?"

What company was it? It sucks that they're dicking you around, but hopefully we can discourage anyone else from going to them in the future! That is TERRIBLE business practice (and that's coming from the guy that takes 2 months to send out a pair of decals... )

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      Holy crap... Yeah, that company is taking you for a ride! Especially since the chip with the proper program should have come with the ECU in the first place. That's like if you called a pizza shop and asked for a large pizza... but didn't say what you wanted on it... so they send you a box with dry bread in it.

They're basically selling you something for $60 that you paid for with the ECU initially. The chip itself costs no more than $2, and shipping it, even overnight, wouldn't be more than $20. It's tiny, and weighs nothing at all. Essentially, you're paying $40 for a part that they didn't include because they don't care enough about their customer to say "hey, what engine is this for?"

What company was it? It sucks that they're dicking you around, but hopefully we can discourage anyone else from going to them in the future! That is TERRIBLE business practice (and that's coming from the guy that takes 2 months to send out a pair of decals... )
      Advanced Ignition ; NEVER buy from them . Pheareable seems to be the reputable company for ECUs , tuning , conversion harnesses and etc .

Comment

Yeah, I've never even heard of them. Phearable has a good reputation... but honestly, I see no need to ever buy a chipped ECU from any overpriced company. You can do the chipping yourself easily enough, and the tuning should be done for your specific motor anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by mjsstanley View Post
          Woww I paid $175 for that ECU and now to get the chip over-nighted is $60 . This entire swap has just been a nightmare for me .
          Wow I do chipped OBD1 VTEC ECU's, with a base map for $180+ shipping. They should cover the shipping cost for the new chip becuase they forgot to ask what ROM you wanted burnt to your original chip...

To blame you becuase of lack of info is just poor customer service. They should have come back and asked you before the ECU shipped. I would never send out a blank chip unless the person specifically asked for a blank chip. Even though tuning is always required with a basemap, no matter what! I still like to give the customer something to get their car started prior to putting it on a dyno.

If you can solder and read directions you can save big time. As long as you shop around for better pricing and not buy the first thing that comes along. There are even cheaper ways to buy the chipping components than buying a kit.
          Last edited by GhostAccord; 04-15-2011, 09:30 AM.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

That's true, as long as you know the components you need to buy... but $25 for a kit is cheap enough to make the convenience worthwhile, IMO!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              That's true, as long as you know the components you need to buy... but $25 for a kit is cheap enough to make the convenience worthwhile, IMO!
              True enough!

OP,

Is this the place that is taking you for a ride? Advanced Ignition Tuning services

They state right on their front page that their ECU's are backed by a 90 day warranty. Were is the warranty here? I would have sent it back on their dime and said that it didn't work. Unless it's been over 90 days....then I guess you would be SOL! They should still have picked up the shipping on that chip. Bad business!
              Last edited by GhostAccord; 04-15-2011, 09:40 AM.
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I don't understand why they're charging $60 to slap a basemap on a chip and stick it in an envelope that can't cost more than $1.20. I'm not an ECU tuner in any way, but I have a friend with a chip burner, and I know where to buy chips. I also know where to download a basemap (hell, I have the tune made for my own engine on my computer, thanks to the awesome MRX )

Hell, I could do it and charge $15 for the whole thing. $5 for the chip, packaging, and shipping, $10 for my time, and the gas it would take to drive to my friend's house (who I haven't seen since November, so I'd actually be happy to make the trip to see him!)
                I wouldn't unless I had my own car running to test it, though. It wouldn't be fair of me to send a chip that I couldn't verify to work 100%.

Comment

Yupp thats them . It hasn't been 90 days and I am trying to get it back to them BUT they every email they send back to me is something that COULD be wrong ! I'm like no , I know for a fact its YOUR ECU because 1) with the ECU they sent me , the car has no power , wont rev pass 4k RPM , and the CEL is SOLID , can't flash a code out of it 2) a guy with a chipped P28 in his Prelude put his ECU in my CB and it ran fine , hit VTEC at about 5500 RPM no problem 3) with my PT3 in , there is no CEL , car drives but runs lean and doesn't wanna idle . Sooo I guess when they're done going over every possible thing that could be wrong with the car and not the ECU , they'll take it back .

And Deev : I bought the ECU of that guy for $50 , runs fine but car wont hit VTEC . He said it hit VTEC just fine in his Civic before he took it out so I'm guessing the guys who sent me the chip left the VTEC engagement point blank or they goofed up and set it wayy too high ?? CEL shift point works fine (7000 RPM) . I don't know what else to do but buy another chip , I'm done with this company .

Comment

So you bought the ECU itself from an individual, and not the company?

Comment

No the first P28 I bought was from that Advanced Ignition company but I really needed my car for a road trip last night and since the company was taking forever to respond to my emails about sending it back , I got on craigslist and found a guy that was selling one locally . That's the one that's in the car now , runs fine just wont hit VTEC . I contacted the company this morning and they said the VTEC is set to engage at 4800 RPM on the chip so I'm guessing that the ECU's VTEC doesn't work . So I'm sending the other ECU back to Advanced Ignition to have them send me another one . Hopefully after I put the chip in , EVERYTHiNG will work fine and I'll just have two ECUs (one with no VTEC) .

Comment

Working...
                      X