Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Tein basic coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tein basic coilovers?

so i have a 91 accord and im getting the tein basic coilovers. im wondering if i will run into any issues such as camber being off tire wear etc. or will everything be "straight" after instalation. are there any components to the coilovers that anyone would suggest? j/w thanks

Originally posted by wed3k
    are you serious? thats like blaming the rubber because you didn't get the right size for your dick.

You will need an alignment after you install the coilovers, without a doubt.

Negative camber increases as you lower the car. Keep the drop mild, and you might be alright. Go low, and you'll want a camber kit to correct it... or you'll end up destroying the insides of your tires very quickly. The only camber kit brands I would trust are Ingalls and SPC. There are MANY brands on the market, some that are much cheaper... and those can break. In fact, I nearly lost control of my car at 65mph in rush-hour traffic because of a broken cheap camber kit... so don't cheap out there!

Also, when installing the suspension, inspect all bushings and ball joints. Anything that's damaged, replace it. ESPECIALLY ball joints. If you have a torn boot, replace the joint.

Since you're getting adjustable coilovers, keep in mind that you really should get an alignment any time you adjust the height. Firestone (and possibly some other places) offers a lifetime alignment package... a one-time charge of about $200, and you can get your wheels aligned any time you want, as often as you want, for as long as you own that car. I have it for mine. Be advised though... some places don't want to work on lowered vehicles (I got rejected by one Firestone before I found one that would do it... they also did it wrong, and ruined my rear tires... so again... be careful!)

Comment

cool thanks im getting a new front left ball joint, and cv axle already, and the install is going to go down in a shop not a backyard! so as far as the whole "drop" what is a realistic amount to go down? and this is from "stock ride height" like 1 1/2 inches 2 inches? i dont want to literally have to stop and creep over every little bump in the road cuz im gonna rip my bumper off. lol but i do want it to look noticable. any suggestions?

are you serious? thats like blaming the rubber because you didn't get the right size for your dick.

Comment

Many people say 2" or less doesn't require camber adjustment (you will still have negative camber, just not so much that it will create serious problems.)

Personally, I like a drop a little less than 2"... I had springs on my car that were 1.8" in front, and I think 1.5" in the rear. Perfect stance, and enough clearance to get over speed bumps without having to "crabwalk".

Have you purchased the coilovers yet? Personally, I'd feel a set of Koni Yellow shocks and Nuspeed or H&R Sport springs would be better. Most people get coilovers because they want to adjust their height regularly (something I really can't understand...)

Comment

right i was thinking 2 inches would be the right amount. i always figured that coilovers where the way to go. plus this unfortunatly is my winter car so living in chicago doesnt exactly give me the best winters lol. so id like to have the option to raise it up for the winter. but if i go with the 2" drop will i honestly be able to get away with not installing a camber kit? like i wont go wearing out my tires in one summer right? if its noticable like that then id forsure get it but if not then save the money

Comment

When you lower a car at all, you introduce negative camber... so there WILL be more wear than usual on the insides... but it's usually not a terrible amount when you're under 2". You could always get a camber kit just to be safe.

I've driven my car with the current 2.2" drop in up to 2 feet of snow here in NJ... though you probably get it worse than we do.

Be sure that the Basics can raise the car to stock height... some coilovers won't go that high. The Basics are definitely the coilovers I'd choose for a street car... but I'm on springs and Koni shocks (H&R Race springs now... I want to go back to H&R Sports.... a little less of a drop.)

You could always keep your stock stuff onhand, and buy a new set of tophats... then when winter comes, just slap in the stock bits

Comment

this is true! i think for the money the teins are what im looking at i like your idea of keaping the old stuff! sometimes the obvious isnt all so obvious! lol

Comment

Swapping suspensions can be a pain, though... I wouldn't want to do it twice a year...

Check to see what the Basics can do. If they can go to stock height, then your idea definitely makes sense.

Comment

cool thanks for the help deev!!

Comment

IMHO, as for first suspension mod, i'd stay away from entry level coilover systems that hook you in just by the brand name.

I would get springs/shocks and go from there.
                    Tein is overpriced for what you get.

For looks & qaulity of material it's great but don't expect performance out of anything called "basics"

HTH

Charlie Moua

Comment

They're one of the only full coilover systems that aren't modeled after parts that are intended to be used on a racetrack. Most coilover systems on the market for our cars have insanely high spring rates. Driving around with a full race suspension on public roads is actually kinda dumb...

It makes more sense to stay away from overpriced coilover setups that market themselves as "better" because they're modeled after race-spec units.

The Tein Basic coilovers are about the same price, or less, than a Koni Yellow / Spring setup (though as you see above, that is still my preference.)

Comment

Working...
                      X