Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Rough Idle. Ignition Problem? Bad Tank of gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough Idle. Ignition Problem? Bad Tank of gas?

OK gentlemen,

Finally got the ol Honda up and running again after my fight and utter loss with the storm drain curb. Now last night (after running great for a solid 2 weeks and the whole day) i start it up to leave from my friend's house and it starts and idle very rough. I don't think much about it, figuring once I put it in reverse and drive a few feet it'll clear its throat so to speak. Well it didn't. To the point I pulled back in my friend's driveway and popped the hood. The engine was shaking more than normal (not violent, but still), but the most noticeable problem was the sound of the engine. It sounded like it was only running on 3 cylinders. Best way I can describe it is it sounded like my engine was running an extreme camshaft profile. I've uploaded a video of it to youtube to help understand. The other thing is when I drove it home (only about 7 miles or so) occasionally it would return to normal, smooth operating circumstances. Then it would go back to sounding "cammed"

This all leads me to believe it's an ignition problem, a bad tank of gas (being I just filled up saturday afternoon) or a combination of both. Any suggestions, ideas, anything. We're going to do a complete tune-up regardless as it needs it (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) and treat the gas (fuel injector cleaner and heet-for any water in the gas from the possible bad tank).

Here's the video link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-7Z3On568&hd=1
    Be sure to watch in HD to get the full sound at the end of the video.

Thanks in advance guys!

EDIT: I forgot, also smelled EXTREMELY rich. This is mainly what led me to believe it may be ignition related, and the cylinder that's not firing is just getting gas dumped in it. No CEL either.

EDIT 2: Updated video. Lets you hear the possible misfire more clearly
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2YjX7pHoFU
    Last edited by kellogg_racing_; 04-05-2011, 04:48 PM.

Please learn to type!!
    CHECK IT! My ride thread...
    http://www.myspace.com/stephenwaltonphotography
    Originally posted by deevergote
    You'll need to spend real money on parts with real engineering to see any real gains. Anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant, or trying to sell you something.

check for an engine code. i had a rough idle and it sorta went away. but it still wasnt right, and i noticed when i started the engine light flashed like telling me i had a code so i checked and it was the dizzy cylinder position sensor. replaced it and its solid now.
    Accord SE

93se
    Members Ride
    Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
    Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

It's not throwing codes, like I said. I already checked.

Please learn to type!!
      You'll need to spend real money on parts with real engineering to see any real gains. Anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant, or trying to sell you something.

Comment

Also might be something with the emissions? (Like EGR Valve) Please help guys...

Please learn to type!!

Comment

I recommend new spark plugs and spark plug wires -- just a basic tune up. It's good to do even if it doesn't solve the issue.

Bad or worn spark plug wires can do this. It's happened to me and it's happened to a friend of mine (1 year old wires). The car will idle rough and want to shut off after you rev it up. Sometimes it would run perfectly fine.

Lack of wire insulation will create ignition problems. Sometimes, you will even have arcing/grounding -- losing power. Let the car run, get a spray bottle, and mist over/around the plugs by the valve cover to see/hear any sparks jumping (may not be noticable). Mine sparked by the small breather hose from my valve cover to the intake pipe. The plug was grounding onto the small hose clamp (sparking) before reaching the spark plug.

Then consider cleaning out carbon deposits (EGR valve, Use Seafoam through the manifold, idle air control valve etc.)
          Last edited by sin2k5; 04-06-2011, 08:14 PM.

Member's Ride Thread | DMV Summer Meet 2011
          Q: Why is your pants around your ankles? Answer

Comment

Bump. Today we disconnected the cat and started it; still ran like before. Took EGR Valve off and cleaned it, still ran as it did before. Did an EGR Vacuum test (where you manually open the EGR valve and see if the car stalls) and the car showed to response to the EGR valve opening, despite our confimation of its physical operation while it was off (the valve opens and closes with response to vacuum like normal). We are at a loss. We doubt it's anything ignition now, because it only acts up once it is warmed up (IE: emissions are allowed to operate). Please help...

Please learn to type!!

Comment

Did you clean the EGR ports as well, or just the valve?

Does your CEL work? I once had a 3 day exchange with a guy on here about how he had no codes whatsoever... and it was because his CEL bulb had been removed by the previous owner. He was throwing 5 codes when he replaced the bulb! I know it sounds stupid... but I have to ask.

If the problem occurs after the car has warmed up, then it's possible that it's an ECU or sensor issue. The "warm up" phase is when the ECU is running in open loop mode. Basically, it is running off of pre-programmed tables, and not sensor feedback. Once the engine reaches operating temperature, the ECU switches to closed loop mode, in which it uses sensor feedback to adjust the air/fuel mixture.

I would try another ECU, and see if that changes anything... or throws a code.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Did you clean the EGR ports as well, or just the valve?
                Yes, both on the valve and on the manifold runners.

The CEL light bulb makes sense for sure; however, when you first turn the ignition on and all the instrument panel lights light up, it does too. So I know the bulb is good. I have read though, that you can still get a code even if the check engine light does not stay on? We were going to check codes despite the no CEL during operation.

I was just reading another member's "running rich / rough idle" thread and he mentioned the MAP. Are there procedures for checking that? I need the voltage chart for comparing to a vacuum gauge...
                Last edited by kellogg_racing_; 04-09-2011, 01:10 PM.

Please learn to type!!

Comment

My dad and I have checked so many things and unplugging them and see if it makes a difference. We're almost positive it's a fuel problem (from being rich) so I'm going to map out the whole ecu pinout, find a description for each pin, and make a list of elements that relate to fuel in anyway and make a list of them and check them. After that, I'll look at ignition if we still cannot find anything...in the mean time everyone please keep the suggestions coming! If nothing else, it keeps me thinking!

Please learn to type!!

Comment

Working...
                  X