Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

MSD Ignition Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSD Ignition Questions

so installed my MSD Ignition yesterday, everything works fine and installed it with the help of the DIY. Anyways, my questions is... how better is the coil that MSD or ACCEL makes versus the stock HONDA? and... I read somewhere that i can make a slightly bigger gap in my spark plugs since i have stronger pulses, does anyone know what the gap should be or is this even true? thanks in advance

It's really not any better in any way, until you're making over 500hp. Honestly, it's a waste of time and money to upgrade the ignition system on these cars.

The gap thing may be true... I've never heard that. Why would you want to do that, though?

Comment

i put on the MSD ignition cuz i got it for cheap on Craigslist! i got it for $20 bucks and shot right for it. after i installed the MSD i did feel a faster pull, of course it doesnt give you more HP but i honestly felt it get to higher RPMs faster,it kinda felt lighter too. iono maybe just my feeling... any idea how i can figure the gap increase? Does the gap give u more power? or why would it be beneficial?

Comment

Originally posted by 415Riderz View Post
        i put on the MSD ignition cuz i got it for cheap on Craigslist! i got it for $20 bucks and shot right for it. after i installed the MSD i did feel a faster pull, of course it doesnt give you more HP but i honestly felt it get to higher RPMs faster,it kinda felt lighter too. iono maybe just my feeling... any idea how i can figure the gap increase? Does the gap give u more power? or why would it be beneficial?
        A combination of mental thought and a butt dyno may make you think it's faster, I felt that way when I installed my type R wiper blades.

Comment

Having a larger gap and still igniting the combustion can make a little bit more power. The theory behind it is since the gap is bigger and as long as it is sparking and not blowing out, you will have a larger spark and more efficient.

I haven't messed with MSD stuff, but on my M&W setup, I still run a small gap, but thats with a decent amount of boost.

Comment

Originally posted by 415Riderz View Post
            Ok, for $20... I get it. I bought an MSD setup for the same reason. Never installed it, though... I figured I'd use it to trade for a part I'll actually use.

How fast the RPM climb has nothing to do with the spark... and you'd need to make significantly more power for that to be noticeable otherwise. The only other way you can change the rate at which the RPM climb would be to change your transmission gearing.
            You also made nothing lighter... in fact, you most likely added a tiny bit of weight!

The plug gap won't make a significant difference. If what D1sclaimer says is true, you will get MAYBE 1-2hp out of it. Probably at the cost of fuel economy.

Comment

Thanks you guys for all the answers and tips, but i havejust one more question... By adding an MSD is there mpg gains?

Comment

Over a properly functioning stock ignition system? Probably not. If you see any gains at all, it's only because the MSD stuff is in better condition than the parts it replaced (or the parts it assists.)

Comment

Working...
                X