Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Suspension Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Question

1) Just wondering if that part is a front lower control arm, or what is it called?
    2) The ball at the top of that part, is that the balljoint that stays in the upper control arm? Will the balljoint come with all new upper control arm's?
    Current:
    2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
    1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
    1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

yes that is the upper balljoint.

Comment

looks like you are going to need to replace it and the upper control arm. the upper ball joint connects the spendle and upper control arm in simple terms. pretty simple to replace if it is together but like that i'm not sure if you will be able to use a seperating fork or not. may have to get the ball joint pressed out the spendle. the control arm you will be able to loosen the 17mm nuts, if factory, on the strut tower inside the engine bay.

Comment

So if the ball at the top is the balljoint, what is the other control arm where the balljoint is attached to? Or would that be included when buying a upper control arm set?

I'm thinking it's this: but can some someone please confirm?
        http://tasauto.com/Product/Detail.as...nq=0&p=1&sz=50
        Last edited by CB7Nub; 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM.
        Current:

Past:

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

no thats the lower. and yes 9 times out of 10 the upper control arm includes the upper ball joint... don't go cheap when buying it. tasauto has them mixed felling on them... i would advised oe honda replacement

*members have mixed feelings on them* sorry

tasauto.com
          Part #2851449 right side
          Part #2851459 left side

Comment

Please tell me that didn't happen while you were driving!

I would buy the upper control arms directly from Honda, honestly. That upper ball joint is nothing you want to mess around with using cheap parts! Honda arms should come with the ball joint in place already.

Another option, if you plan on lowering your car, is the TASauto adjustable upper control arm set. I have them on my car, and they're great. Pricey, though... worth it... but still pricey.

Comment

No I haha it happened in accident back in October with my wagon.
              The TAS adjustable upper control arm set is SO expensive plus the adjustable ball joint is out of stock.

So wait a minute, the part I'm pointing at with the red arrow is it TAS #2851459 or TAS #6351367?
              Last edited by CB7Nub; 04-01-2011, 09:38 AM.
              Current:

Past:

Comment

Well, the specific part that you're pointing to is the cover for the end of the ball joint, where the castle nut and cotter pin go.

It does appear to be the lower control arm otherwise, yes.
                I find it odd that the TAS picture shows the ball of the ball joint... That's not a part of it!

Comment

I spoke to Honda and showed them this and it's actually a steering knuckle where everything connects to. (I guess it goes behind the rotor or something) It's $190 new from Honda, there is no aftermarket ANYWHERE for it though. Would you trust any used steering knuckle? I can get it for 85 bucks or less.
                  Current:

Past:

Comment

Honestly my friend when it comes to matters of steering and suspension, rarely do you want to go used, people tend to learn their lesson the hard way. To be quite frank the hard away is a bitch if your on a highway doing anything over 50 mph. Also going used you do not know how hard its been driven on, so if you can swing it I say go just go new unless you know what your doing when it comes to picking used part. Good Luck And drive safe my friend

Comment

Well said, I guess I'm going to pull $200 out of my ass now.
                      Aftermarket companies make steering knuckle pl0x naoww.
                      Current:

Past:

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Nub View Post
                        I spoke to Honda and showed them this and it's actually a steering knuckle where everything connects to. (I guess it goes behind the rotor or something) It's $190 new from Honda, there is no aftermarket ANYWHERE for it though. Would you trust any used steering knuckle? I can get it for 85 bucks or less.
                        You don't need a knuckle. You just need the upper control arm, #5&6 in the below picture.

#2,17,12, and 21 are what is in your picture.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...tcgry5=KNUCKLE

Remove those two bolts (#12), then the 17 mm (#17) under the cover (#2), then find a way to pop that ball out and put the new arm in.

If you don't want to spend $150 on one you can just get a cheap ones at autozone... ($60) I've been rocking them for 1.5 years with no problems other than one boot is torn from using a pickle fork. I think they are lifetime warranty also.
                        Last edited by EJX_Michael; 04-02-2011, 02:39 AM.

Comment

I'm pretty sure my knuckle is bent though, I'll re-check on Sunday.
                          Hopefully not.

Has anyone had experiences with this?

My bushings were going anyways (rattle when quick acceleration) and the wagon has over 417k (kilometers) so this is a good idea as I don't think the arm's and shit has ever been replaced.
                          Current:

Past:

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Nub View Post
                            I'm pretty sure my knuckle is bent though, I'll re-check on Sunday.
                            Hopefully not.

Has anyone had experiences with this?

My bushings were going anyways (rattle when quick acceleration) and the wagon has over 417k (kilometers) so this is a good idea as I don't think the arm's and shit has ever been replaced.
                            Well, if its bent, yeah replace it. I think a used one would be fine though. Once you remove the hub and lower ball joint its just a piece of molded steel... You will most likely want to replace the lower ball joint while you're at it. (#4 ^)

Comment

honestly i have never seen the knuckle bend......it always just snaps. or cracks. and i agree a used one is just fine cause its all just metal. just check for cracks!

Comment

Working...
                              X