Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H22A Everyday Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22A Everyday Driving

I have some questions about the JDM H22A for everyday driving.

All questions relate to a STOCK F22a and H22a.

1) I know the powerband is higher than a F22A, for the H22A to go up to it's redline is it faster than a F22A pulling up to the redline? Basically will the rev's go up to the redline faster than a pull in a F22A?
    2) I know in my F22A6 when I reach about 2500 RPM the torque you can feel, how will this feel in the H22A? Low end torque F22A vs H22A. (I've always heard SOHC Honda motors will have more torque in the low end then a DOHC motor)
    3) Butterfly valves/IAB (w/e you call it) on a F22A6 vs VTEC. For me the IAB system works great, in a H22A how is the kick into VTEC in comparison? The IAB kick is very torque'y.
    4) Sound, to me the F22 motor is one of my favorite sounding Honda 4 cylinder motors. Depending on your setup it can sound somewhat like a muscle car, especially when idling. How does the H22a compare to this?
    5) Does the OEM P13 ECU have a rev limiter for the H22a? If so how is it setup?

6) Side question:
    H22a aftermarket parts, what major compaines other than Bisimoto, Skunk2, make parts for this motor? I know there is a lot but I forget most of them.

That's all for now.
    Last edited by CB7Nub; 03-27-2011, 12:57 AM.
    Current:
    2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
    1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
    1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Originally posted by CB7Nub View Post
    I have some questions about the JDM H22A for everyday driving.

All questions relate to a STOCK F22a and H22a.

1) I know the powerband is higher than a F22A, for the H22A to go up to it's redline is it faster than a F22A pulling up to the redline? Basically will the rev's go up to the redline faster than a pull in a F22A?
    In my opinion, yes. I went from an auto though. Something I notice is the H likes to be revved more in each gear. Getting it below 2500 RPM will most likely cause bogging if you don't downshift.Yes,

2) I know in my F22A6 when I reach about 2500 RPM the torque you can feel, how will this feel in the H22A? Low end torque F22A vs H22A. (I've always heard SOHC Honda motors will have more torque in the low end then a DOHC motor)
    Its honestly crazy. You feel torque everywhere above 3500.

3) Butterfly valves/IAB (w/e you call it) on a F22A6 vs VTEC. For me the IAB system works great, in a H22A how is the kick into VTEC in comparison? The IAB kick is very torque'y.
    On a chipped p06, It is like the feel of the IAB system times 5. Words cannot describe how awesome a good vtec crossover is.

4) Sound, to me the F22 motor is one of my favorite sounding Honda 4 cylinder motors. Depending on your setup it can sound somewhat like a muscle car, especially when idling. How does the H22a compare to this?
    About the same IMO. The H22 does have a slightly different note, but I think its more or less the intake.

5) Does the OEM P13 ECU have a rev limiter for the H22a? If so how is it setup?
    Fuel Cut at 7600 RPM

6) Side question:
    H22a aftermarket parts, what major compaines other than Bisimoto, Skunk2, make parts for this motor? I know there is a lot but I forget most of them.

That's all for now.
    ^^

Comment

The H22 is more powerful, so yes, it will accelerate more quickly. The RPMs will rise at the same rate in relation to the speed of the car in each gear, unless you swap over a shorter-geared transmission. The engine may be more powerful, but the gear ratios are static.

The H22 has an IAB system as well.

The VTEC crossover is usually felt noticeably when it's at the factory 5200 RPM setting. Technically, for the best performance, it should be lower... and not felt. BUT, that kick in the pants sold lots of Preludes, so Honda kept it high! Personally, I enjoy the kick, even if my 1/4 mile time is a tenth of a second slower because of it.

Comment

Thanks guys, I was thinking the H22a was more SOMEWHAT similar to a B series or something where it only makes power in like 5000+ RPM.
        So on the H22a would you have a IAB kick then another VTEC kick? 0.o
        How is the gas mileage vs a stock F22A?
        Current:

Past:

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          The H22 has an IAB system as well.
          This is true. And from first hand experience I can tell you that whether or not it is working properly will make a 20hp difference. When I had my car dyno'd after the swap, it made 163whp. Something didn't seem right so the shop owner checked the vacuum hose for the IAB's. The IAB controller wasn't working right so as a temporary fix he attached the vacuum line to the intake manifold. Next run it pulled 182whp, and the final pull was 185.

I also wanted to bring up "kick into VTEC." What you are feeling is a momentary dip in the powerband right before the VTEC crossover point. A good tune, or simply by lowering the crossover point will eliminate that "kick" and you'll notice that it just pulls and pulls all the way to 7000 RPM's. You want a nice smooth powerband. If you rode in my car, and many other member's cars on here you would probably notice that you don't feel the kick anymore. You can still hear the difference when VTEC engages.

My old P13 redline was proably 7600, although I never ran it that high. I do know that it cut the fuel supply at 118mph... I'm now running a P72 ecu from a USDM Integra chipped with the Hondata s100.

There are several more big name manufacturers that make parts for the H motors. Brian Crower, Wiseco, Mahle, MFactory, are a few examples.

I'm running a DC Sports 4-2-1 header, Flowmaster Hushpower II shorty in place of my cat, and a DC Sports catback exhaust. I absolutely love the sound. It's quiet at low rpm's and sounds so smooth and high performance when you get on it.
          Last edited by wherm; 03-27-2011, 04:42 PM.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Thanks guys, I was thinking the H22a was more SOMEWHAT similar to a B series or something where it only makes power in like 5000+ RPM. The H22A has always been reffered to as Honda's Torque Monster. My friends with built B18's always commented on how much more torque they could feel when they drove my car.

So on the H22a would you have a IAB kick then another VTEC kick? In theory, yes. After my vacuum line was hooked to the Intake Manifold I could hear the IAB's open, then feel VTEC.

How is the gas mileage vs a stock F22A? Depending on how you drive it, my setup now yields 80whp more than stock and my gas mileage is still 33mpg unless I'm autocrossing it. It's never been under 26, even on a serious track day

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

I never noticed my IAB system... then again, the idiots that installed my engine may not have hooked it up.

The H22A is a 2.2L engine, just like the F22A. Why wouldn't it make power down low?
              The H22A feels much like the F22A below the VTEC range. Then VTEC kicks in, and it pulls even harder right where the F22A would normally die off.

Comment

not to sound like a idiot but where is the hose that connects to the I.A.B. And where is it located?

Comment

Originally posted by cb7k-9 unit View Post
                  not to sound like a idiot but where is the hose that connects to the I.A.B. And where is it located?
                  It's on the driver's side of the intake manifold; its like a little diaphragm with rubber hoses coming out of the top + bottom.

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Thanks guys, now I have all the H22a information I need.
                    For some reason I think I overpraise the F22a, or maybe I was just going on Bisimoto too much.

Edit: I asked this before but I cannot find the post.
                    If I get a Apexi WS2 or a custom 2.25" exhaust will it bolt right up to the H22a exhaust manifold/header? (I guess I would use a aftermarket cat like Magnaflow or something)
                    Last edited by CB7Nub; 03-29-2011, 11:48 AM.
                    Current:

Past:

Comment

I think it will bolt up.

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Nub View Post
                        6) Side question:
                        In Japan brands you have Mugen (Honda's performance business line), (Spoon,) Jun (a little bit more expensive than Skunk2), Fujitsubo, and many others companies just for catbacks and exhaust manifolds
                        -Sorry if my english is bad, i try to improve it and do my best to be understood
                        -Soon, you will come back to live...

Bought from: Jack Lee ,Tommi ,408cb7 , xkjnboix

Comment

haha this is a funny thread. i have a stock cb7 and a jdm h22a cd5, and man the difference is like day n night. lets just say its like putting a itr motor into a civic. running 14's while getting 27+ mpg on the highway.

Comment

Working...
                          X