Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

stuttering/missing when first starting car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stuttering/missing when first starting car

When I first start my car it does that "subby" running sound. Where it sounds like its missing and stuttering. Or like its running on three cylinders. Than after a few seconds the idle will surge jumping up about 200 rpms a few times. Than it will begin to idle normal. And it drives completely normal.

Any ideas on what my issue may be?

Oh, before questions. All the news
    Headgasket
    New Head (milled flat, valves checked, checked for cracks)
    New autolite spark plugs
    New wires
    Fresh gas (thought maybe it was my last gas so ran it empty and put new in from a different gas station)

Thanks for the assistance,
    Bucky
    You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
    Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

whats happening to you sounds just like what my buddy was goin threw today. he had just put in brand new cheap spark plugs and wires and then his car was running on 1 cylinder. he then went and got ngk spark plugs and wires and it ran perfect after that. so im thinking it could be the spark plugs and wires you have. but im not 100% sure thats it so hopefully someone else will have another suggestion or more advice.

Comment

Yeh i'll try new plugs. Thanks
      You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
      Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

Autolite plugs kinda suck for our cars, from what I've heard.

Running the tank empty may have allowed debris to get into the lines. That's never a good idea! If you ever have bad gas, put in some premium gas, and maybe even a bottle of octane booster.

Other than that... make sure that:
        -your plug wires are in the correct order
        -your cap and rotor are new and in good condition (i assume they are)
        -your ignition timing is correct
        -your valve timing is correct (could you have installed the timing belt improperly?)

Is your CEL on?

Comment

Well it just began doing this after I changed my oil/spark plugs. I was figuring it was the plugs but I was not sure since they are new

And nope no cel no nothing car runs like a champ after it gets done acting like a woman when I first start it LOL

Comment

Give her a week. If she's still bleeding, you have a problem!

I mean...

If changing the plugs was the only thing you did before this started, then yeah... try some NGK plugs, properly gapped (speaking of gap... did you check the gap for these?) Maybe even replace your wires (again, NGK... or Sumitomo)

Comment

Well Im not sure what brand wires they were I got them from honda . My friend works there and got me his discount.

And i'll double check the gap. if its off i'll fix it and see were its at. Probably will just get another set of NGK that's what I got last time. Shouldn't have ventured away from what works I geuss lol

Comment

If they're from Honda, they SHOULD be Sumitomo.

And yeah, get NGK plugs. Don't mess with a good thing! There are no real gains to be had from any ignition "upgrades" anyway.

Comment

Alright It still does it.
                  Last edited by buckysaccord93; 03-22-2011, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Alright I dont understand it continues to do it even after I put the old ngk plugs back in. (which werent even 15k miles old). And I never did it with those plugs in. So it has to be another issue?

Comment

check your cap and rotor, your coil, and your firing order

mine was doing that after i changed plugs and wires and i looked at the cap and rotor and the only thing that was making them touch to make spark was the corrosion that had been built up.

also the coil(ignitor) i had a problem with it to

THUG LIFE!!!!!!

Comment

Alright will do, I dont know if this pertains to the issue or not but my car cranks for a little before starting. not like minutes but its not super fast

Comment

Distributor checks out good. Could it be my distributer could be advanced to far? (turn to far forward) for the new plugs?

Comment

Alright I ran my Cel codes. And this is what I got 41 and 14. Well I know what the 41 is from a previous thread. And now know that that cannot be apart of this problem. And 14 is IACV. Could this be my problem on start up?

also I get a code 15 for my TCU. Which is kick down switch circuit shorted. I have no idea about that one! LOL

So any help is awesome

ALSO. The car smells like its running rich, And it smokes alittle when I first start it and its doing the stuttering.

I assume the richness is probably from the need of a new O2 sensor. And maybe the smoke too?
                            Last edited by buckysaccord93; 03-24-2011, 07:25 PM.

Comment

so you had CELs and expected the car to run right? I would fix those 100% so you have no CELs and then see if its still doing it. The CEL is on for a reason and that could have an affect on other sensors in the system, causing your weird symptoms

member's ride thread
                              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                              91 Accord SE 176k
                              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                              X