Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

battery light flickers on and off while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery light flickers on and off while driving

my car: 92 honda accord lx, auto, f22a1 motor.

electrical mods: 2 12ich subs, with 1200 watt amp, 2 farrat capacitor, ( al the wiring was done by my cousin and i to the best of our knowledge. subs sound great so i suppose we connected it properly)

issue: my battery ligth ( charging ligth ) flickers on and off while im driving and mostly with the sound on high.

Check ur battery connections.

'93 Black LX {DD/Project}

Comment

More than likely your alt. is crapping out. had same problem couldn't fgure it out searched on here and that was the general answer so I put in a new alt and it fixed light issue.

Comment

^agreed. Or alternator cannot keep up with current being taken from battery. But since you have a cap then its most likley your alternator dying

Comment

thanks for the suggestions. i haven't done anything about it yet tho. this light has been flickering for a while now. someone also suggested to me that one of those optima gel batteries will help, but i believe its the alternator too even tho it checked out OK along with the battery at auto zone and advance auto parts.

any suggestions on what amp or volts alt i should get and is it a though job?

Comment

When it starts flickering, it's usually the brushes inside the alternator. They wear out over time and lose contact with the shaft. Every time it loses contact, the light comes on. When it's barely touching, it'll flicker alot. You can change them with the alternator still in the car but if it's your first time, I'd take the alternator out.

Hmm....I just looked up the catalog....have no idea why but in the US, Honda won't sell you just the brushes (I live in Canada so I can buy them). But it's part number 31105-PR7-A01 and goes for about $20. I found Rockauto has an aftermarket one for $28. It's AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5A1152.

But before running out and buying anything, make sure all the battery posts and clamps are clean, all the ground wires are good. Those can also cause charging problems that make it look like the alt is bad.

Comment

it all makes sense but what do you think is easier, replacing the alt. or brushes inside?

i will take a look at all my connection because there is a lot of modifications done with the connections/ wiring ( relocated battery to the trunk and have sub woofers sound system hooked up by myself and a cousin )

by the way: can you use a 4 gauge sound system wire as your positve terminal cable? or is that a special type of wire that your suppose to use?

Comment

Out of curiosity, whats the mileage of the car?

I can't comment on the stereo stuff or the battery relocation as only you would know the draw to power the system and also how the battery relocation was done.

But if it is your stereo drawing too much power, then a higher rated alt would be a better bet and you'd get new brushes with it as well. Can't really comment on the 4 gauge wire question either but the only difference I usually see is it has a nicer shielding on it. Should be fine to use as a power cable if that's all you have.

Comment

car has 165k. f22a1 engine has 99K miles on it. ( i got a replacement a while ago ) . yeah i will get on that new alt. what voltage should i get?

Comment

150 amp & up

look at this link: http://www.zena.net/htdocs/alternators/AutoSound.shtml

you will be able to find all what you need know!
                    Last edited by JoshM; 05-03-2011, 09:20 PM. Reason: merged

Comment

Working...
                    X