Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H22 Tune Up , Break-In .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22 Tune Up , Break-In .

My H22 has finally arrived (will post pics tomorrow) . The engine is said to have 25-35k miles on it . Since its been sitting for who knows how long , I will go ahead and change the timing belt but my questions is should I also go ahead and the change the water pump , and complete valve cover gasket or should they still be fine ?? Also , I read somewhere that you should break your engine in before driving it at high RPMs ?? Well right after I get it in , I'm taking a road trip and I really would love to drive the CB . On the road , I usually do about 90mph . Would this be too high of a constant RPM after just dropping the engine in ?

Originally posted by mjsstanley View Post
    My H22 has finally arrived (will post pics tomorrow) . The engine is said to have 25-35k miles on it . Since its been sitting for who knows how long , I will go ahead and change the timing belt but my questions is should I also go ahead and the change the water pump , and complete valve cover gasket or should they still be fine ?? Also , I read somewhere that you should break your engine in before driving it at high RPMs ?? Well right after I get it in , I'm taking a road trip and I really would love to drive the CB . On the road , I usually do about 90mph . Would this be too high of a constant RPM after just dropping the engine in ?

theres many ways to go about this. for the water pump id say do it just because youll be in that area anyways , valve cover gasket it something you can do easily anytime but if you want to now you can , and for the whole part of breaking it in there a so many back and forth threads about how to go about it. the way i did it was i was actually pushing the car alot to allow the gaskets/seals and things to sit right from being pushed alot. i personally dont think that would be too high thatll put you up at about 4-4500 rpms.

Comment

when ever you do a timing belt it is best to do it along with the waterpump.
      It's a used engine so you dont really need to break it in... it is most likely been broken in many time.
      Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

Change the rear main seal as well... and any other seals and gaskets that you can get to. It's MUCH easier to do most of that with the engine out of the car!

If the engine has been sitting for a long time (which is very likely... it probably hasn't been started in 10-12 years or more...) then the chances are very good that the rubber parts have worn out! Replace whatever you can.

As for "breaking in"... it's already broken in. You only need to break in a newly built engine. However, you'll want to take some precautions when starting it, so the pistons aren't scraping on the dry cylinder walls (I would imagine this would be especially bad on FRM sleeves!)
        A friend of mine ran through the procedure of pourin oil into the head with the valve cover off, and turning the engine by hand... I need to ask him to go through that again. It wasn't complicated, but I want to make sure I do it right with my own engine (which has been sitting for over 2 years...)

Comment

Working...
        X