Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Toe Adjustment question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toe Adjustment question.

Hey guys, having a few problems but recently i installed new Tie rod ends to finish up the front end with new hardware, but after i finished i lowered it and the steering wheel is all crooked turning right. I got it back to within 10 degrees from being straight but when i hold the wheel straight down the road it slowly moves left. so my question(s) is/are if i adjust the tie rod ends a few turns to the left (left side few turns out, Right side few turns in) would that bring it closer to driving straight with the steering wheel being straight? Is there any tips or tricks to getting the steering wheel straight and making sure toe is even on both sides?

Turbo Setup: 100%

dont back yard this...take it to the men who are trained to do this...do it right end of story....befor u start buring threw tires....

my new turbo build

Comment

toe IMO isn't all that hard when you have the right mind set. i just want the car to track straight when the steering wheel is straight. yea i could take it in but i want to learn something before i do. all i wanted to know is if what i asked could be done to make it track straighter. Plus only been like this about half a day and been driven around the block a few times. would like to try to get it straight, before i fork over money for people to even look at whats wrong.

Comment

you can turn the tie rods then lock them down and go for ride. do that until it tracks straight. sounds like you got it close but need to fine tune it. make small adjustments.
        COUPE K24

Comment

You need the proper tools to align the toe correctly. Eyeballing it and going by feel will work to a point... perhaps where you can get it to track straight... but you'll still eat through tires very quickly. The best tip I can offer are these :1) get the proper tools, and learn how to use them, or 2) take it to someone that has the proper tools, and knows how to use them.

There's no other trick to it.

Comment

wouldn't using like 2x4 or something straight and even setup against a constant part of the tire or rim, then measure the front of the tire and back of the tire and get your toe and adjust from there work to get you by? Im fine with the tire wear for now since they need replacing here soon. I'm trying to go by for a few days til i replace my tires, and i can do the alignment all in one shot. sorry if i sound kind of dumb, and defiant to listen to anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by 5spd92 View Post
              toe IMO isn't all that hard when you have the right mind set. i just want the car to track straight when the steering wheel is straight. yea i could take it in but i want to learn something before i do. all i wanted to know is if what i asked could be done to make it track straighter. Plus only been like this about half a day and been driven around the block a few times. would like to try to get it straight, before i fork over money for people to even look at whats wrong.
              even if u align the front it will still be off track with the rears...it wont drive straight it will drive cockeyed...ull burn though tires every 3 months or so..

my new turbo build

Comment

Take the car to an alignment shop where they use computers to align your steering, not light that is projected to a diagram on a wall.
                I been there, done that, multiple times, and in the end, i found computer alignment to be the best.
                i eyeballed, i did by feel, but still lost alot of tires.

Bet is a shop, period.

MRT

Comment

wouldn't using like 2x4 or something straight and even setup against a constant part of the tire or rim, then measure the front of the tire and back of the tire and get your toe and adjust from there work to get you by? Im fine with the tire wear for now since they need replacing here soon. I'm trying to go by for a few days til i replace my tires, and i can do the alignment all in one shot. sorry if i sound kind of dumb, and defiant to listen to anybody.
                  you can probably get it close, but it will always be off and it will always pull to either side.
                  there are actual tools you can buy to get your toe spot on. don't cheap out and just buy them if you want to do this yourself.
                  don't forget to do the rear too.
                  or you can take it to an alignment shop and explain to them that you want your toe zero'd.
                  they will not warranty the alignment.
                  they won't correct camber, unless you have the adjustable parts (and if you do they won't warranty the labor on those parts unless you purchase through them), and they'll more than likely charge you a little more.

Comment

OK, for adjustment was tools or shop is clarified, what should i do if no one in town can adjust it since the cb is so low?

Comment

most shops can do it. they just charge more due to the liability of it being lowered. also, they cant adjust camber if you dont have a camber kit. they can really only do f/r toe and front caster.
                      COUPE K24

Comment

OK, for adjustment was tools or shop is clarified, what should i do if no one in town can adjust it since the cb is so low?
                        Take the front bumper off, lol.

Did it twice for mines.

Then the last place i took it to, they used 2x4's and laid it on the floor and drove over them to get onto the machine.

MRT

Comment

Hmm makes me wonder about Tires Tires Tires then, charged me 30 bucks just to tell me its to low. but maybe i could get a discount for knowing the owner of the shop. as for the front bumper dont have one so i guess thats a plus. Wouldnt our little plastic wheel well shrouds get in the way? and whats the normal estimated cost for an alignment?

Comment

Hmm makes me wonder about Tires Tires Tires then, charged me 30 bucks just to tell me its to low. but maybe i could get a discount for knowing the owner of the shop. as for the front bumper dont have one so i guess thats a plus. Wouldnt our little plastic wheel well shrouds get in the way? and whats the normal estimated cost for an alignment?
                            I dont have any plastic for my wheel wells, or under the car. (no salt on the road where i am from)

Price depends on the shop itself.

The lowest i found here locally was Napa service center who only charged $64.95 for all 4 wheels. No tax.

MRT

Comment

yea around here at wheel works its usually 100 bucks.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X