Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Ticking after valve adjustment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ticking after valve adjustment.

So I just replaced my 93 lx upper and lower tube seals; a lot of oil had leaked into the spark plug wells.

I adjusted the valves, and it's a good thing I did because they were generally way undersized. Initial start up revealed two things:

1) There's a cloud of smoke coming from my exhaust pipe now. Like burning oil smoke. I think is this because the oil that was trapped in the wells dropped into the cylinder when I removed the spark plug. This should go away and I'll probably add more oil.

2) A tick. A quite noticeable tick that gets drowned out above 2500-3000rpm.

Any reason why there would now be this loud tick? Should I re adjust the valves?

what are you setting them to?
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

.010" for intake and .012" for exhaust.

Comment

i usually do them to .009 and .011 but maybe one loosened up? on some valves they wear the tip out in the center so while the feeler gauge may read right, it will have more clearance but usually honda valves dont wear the tips out.
        I <3 G60.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
          i usually do them to .009 and .011 but maybe one loosened up? on some valves they wear the tip out in the center so while the feeler gauge may read right, it will have more clearance but usually honda valves dont wear the tips out.
          I'm gonna go ahead and adjust them again. My research tells me that I can run tighter tolerances anyways as a result of my using synthetic oil. This time it'll be .009 and .011

Comment

Adjusted valves and the engine runs tick-free

Comment

run tighter tolerances as in everything except valve lash. valve lash fucks with valve timing and that doesnt matter whether you run 0-20 or gear oil.
              I <3 G60.

Comment

I know this is probably a dumb question, but did you do the adjustment while the car was cold?
                www.PreludePower.com
                BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

THe car had been sitting for 5 hours since driven on a 40 degree day, so it was cold. What really happened is that the number two was loosened because I didn't torque the lock nut enough. Guess the moral of the story for me is not to do work when I'm tired, frustrated, and impatient

Between that, cleaning my AEM air filter, and new sway bar end links, the car runs great

Comment

My cb does the same. Next time it dose it again im gust going to run the poop out of it till it wont run any more the do the H22 swap.

Comment

Working...
                    X