Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Boosted auto?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boosted auto?

Anyone running a boosted F22 with an auto transmission?

Not many.
    The only boosted auto I know offhand is blazen_accord, who has a boosted H22.

Auto is more difficult to tune, and our auto transmissions generally don't hold up very well to the torque increase (especially since the majority of them have been abused... people just don't think to change their ATF on a regular basis!)

It can be done, but most people convert to manual and then boost.

Comment

Thats what I figured but was wondering if there was any performance upgrades for the automatic.

Im new too boost what makes it harder to tune being automatic vs manual?

Comment

Originally posted by BBCorvette18Pun View Post
        Thats what I figured but was wondering if there was any performance upgrades for the automatic.

Im new too boost what makes it harder to tune being automatic vs manual?
        check out level10 , thats where i found some beefy parts.

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

The ECU cuts the fuel delivery when the transmission shifts, and that can be tricky to get right. Run too lean, and you could do serious damage to your engine. It can be done, but it's a headache. With manual, the ECU has nothing to with shifting. You come off the gas, shift, and get back on the gas.

If you're new to turbo, I suggest you do EXTENSIVE research before you buy a single part. There's a lot to learn, and it's a lot cheaper to learn by reading... than by learning from your mistakes as you go! (blazen_accord, mentioned above... he's learned a LOT from his mistakes. That guy has blown up quite a few engines... )
          Aside from this site, I suggest picking up a couple books: Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, and Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima. Both will give you a decent understanding of turbo builds (and Honda engines in general, with the Kojima book.)

There are performance upgrades. Check into a company called Level10, from NJ. They're very experienced with Honda automatics, and could probably build a very storng automatic for turbo use. Of course, such things are pricey.

Comment

Yea I'm a long way aways from trying to do a turbo setup just thinking about different possible routes to go when my current motor decides it doesn't want to run anymore lol.

Comment

ehhhhh i would boost after converting if i were you

Comment

Thats the thing I don't want to convert to a manual

Comment

it doesnt matter if your boosting an auto or manual, booth can take the torque, but the question is which will perform better? a lot off people think you should only boost a manual but really their just under estimating the auto tranny. and there are more mistreated manual trannys out there than autos because some people just dont know how to shift or handle their manual causing damage to your tranny, whereas an auto does the shifting for you so u cant even miss gear or worse, just have good clean tranny fluid at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by pike0825 View Post
                    it doesnt matter if your boosting an auto or manual, booth can take the torque, but the question is which will perform better? a lot off people think you should only boost a manual but really their just under estimating the auto tranny. and there are more mistreated manual trannys out there than autos because some people just dont know how to shift or handle their manual causing damage to your tranny, whereas an auto does the shifting for you so u cant even miss gear or worse, just have good clean tranny fluid at all times.
                    Ladies and gentlemen, we have an expert!

Since you know so much, shall we discuss ECU tuning for an auto?

Comment

im not saying i know it all but ive seen a lot of people talk bad about an automatic, and i bet half of the people with manuals have already done horrible wear and tear on their tranny because they think they are shifting like " champs " the point i would like to make is that just because you have a manual and u do your own shifts doesn't mean you have it better than an automatic. if u think so they you got it all wrong. as for ECU tunning with autos i recommend buying a good performance chip to trick your ECU and allow it to get a bigger air/ fuel ration whenever you hit the gas. good investment and it works!!!!

Comment

yeah, deev is right. you really are an expert!
                        im going to go get some generic performance chip right now so my engine will work better. gotta bump up that air/fuel ration!

actually, automatics have many more parts that can take abuse and wear out compared to manuals. since the engine is applying power steadily as the transmission is shifting, these parts are getting worn out even with normal driving. add the huge increase in torque that a turbo setup produces, and things wear even more quickly.
                        you see, with a manual transmission, you are not normally pressing the gas during a shift. with an auto, you are. the only internal parts that will get worn in a manual transmission (unless you are shifting like a tard and grinding gears) are the synchronizers. the synchronizers are not subject to a full torque load, because as i said above, you aren't acclerating into a shift. the only thing that will take a beating is the clutch, and a stock clutch will perish very quickly with turbo.
                        both automatics and manuals need regular fluid changes. both of them seem to be neglected in this area in most cases. people just dont change their transmission fluid. however the automatics have all those extra wear parts inside that suffer for it.

and for that chip
                        i hope nobody takes your dumbass advice, and i hope you learn a thing or two before you take that advice yourself. if you want to go turbo, you need to tune the ecu for your particular setup. anything else is considered a basemap, good only for getting the car running to be tuned. tuning for an automatic is difficult, as mentioned in this thread already (some of us actually read what was posted before we chime in... it makes us look smart!)

Comment

hey dani you are just the kind of person i like to address this message for.

first of all your a ***got.( just because you posted a picture of your weak ass car sitting in the grass next to your daddys shed )

second. i bet your just that kind of bad shifting ***g i was talking about. your tranny is crap with you behing the wheel. the advantages of having an auto is that the ecu does the perfect( and safe ) shifting for you rather than your dumb ass self.

third. air/ fuel ration is Wat makes your car perform better you dumb ass. do us all a favor and get a damn bycicle where non of this matter, you tool. you know nothing

Comment

then educate me. please.
                            i would love to know more about this 'air/fuel ration' of yours. thats a new concept to me

also, that car belongs to the owner of this site. i was making fun of him with that picture. i'm sure he will love the insults about his car, though. that, plus the flaming and other offensive words will probably result in you getting banned. it was nice knowing you pal! (here is where you should maybe drop some knowledge to show that you might be worth keeping around. its easy to get banned around here if you dont know anything but how to flame people using the vocabulary of a homophobic 7th grader.)

Comment

tuning really becomes a problem on 92-93
                              the car wont shift out of park, and the tranny will fall in limp mode, shifting very late at half throttle

but........

ive found that its, not the same on a 90-91, why? dont know
                              but last week my girls ecu took a shit, the only thing i had was a chipped p28
                              tried it and it worked fine, nice shifting, shifts out of park. got it tuned 3 days later and love it, no more sluggish 1-3 acceleration 452 miles to the tank
                              and the car feels a little faster, my concern was MPG being that SHE is the one that drives the car the most its finally solved

if you want to tune your 92-93, youll need a obd1-obd1 extension harness
                              it was the only way d112crzy could get 3 92-93 autos to stop shifting prematurely
                              Originally posted by deevergote
                              Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Working...
                              X