Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

symptoms of timing belt slipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

symptoms of timing belt slipping?

i drove my cb7 to the shop today, it'd the furthest she's been since we got her running last week. i noticed some oil dripping on the ground on the driver's side, just dime sized amounts. they say i need main seal, rear seal, crank seal(whatever that is haven't looked yet) and they say that my timing belt is slipping because oil is getting in there. we just changed the valve cover gasket, the belt had oil on it, i guess this isn't normal?

if my car is leaking from so many places why isn't there more oil on the ground and why is the oil level relatively the same?

thanks ya'll

Newest addition to the family...

The timing belt has teeth. It shouldn't slip. Ever.

If oil is getting on your belt, it will eventually snap. Fix that leak (cam seal, most likely) and replace that belt ASAP.

Comment

i hate the people at that shop! they got me all upset for nothing!
      thanks D!

Comment

I wouldn't say for nothing... Being in danger of snapping is worse than slipping.

I mean, it CAN jump a tooth, but it shouldn't if the tensioner is working properly, and the belt was installed correctly. The car will idle badly if that happens. It throws the cam timing way off.

Comment

if you ever have a timing belt break on you, the car will stop dead in its tracks.if you turn the ignition on it will spin very fast sounding. they suggest changing your timing belt every 100k miles .the longer you drive on the stock one the more likely it will break.

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

car is quiet and sits well at idle. i will have someone else replace the cam seal and see what happens.
            I noticed that the power steering pulley is wobbling a little, i don't know if that can be tightened.
            if i sound anxious or rushed to get things fixed, it's b/c my civic is acting as our main car for right now and we could use a good back-up. i'm sure the cb will hold up in town for me but i don't want to make matters worse.

Comment

pulley needs tightening , if it don't get better , replace the pulley or do a P.S. delete . its not bad without it .

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

Originally posted by stretch JDM View Post
                pulley needs tightening , if it don't get better , replace the pulley or do a P.S. delete . its not bad without it .
                P.S. Delete....love it!

Comment

...except that the PS has absolutely nothing to do with the timing belt... and no pullies need to be tightened. The timing belt has a tensioner, which I mentioned previously.

If oil is getting on your belt, it could be a day old and still need to be changed. The oil compromises the integrity of the rubber. It WILL snap if oil gets on it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow... but it will happen. Fix the leak, change the belt.

Comment

sometimes the balance shaft seal can start backing out. that is bad. it will start leaking like crazy right before it falls out. see this thread. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=16228

if it were me, i'd would change the timing belt asap.

of course it could be the cam seal leaking as well. it will get the timing belt oily if the leak gets bad enough. and like stated an oil saturated belt will break. later.
                    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

getting the parts this week and a friend of my husband's is going to show me what to do. he looked at it today and said that i will need a main seal, oil pan gasket, and another seal somewhere in the general area(maybe a balance shaft seal?) timing belt will get replaced. I will be buying that seal retainer and having it installed!

Comment

Working...
                      X