Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H22A4 Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22A4 Head

I found a local seller that has an H22A4 head he wants to part with, has about 64k miles on it. It was in a civic I believe, but he pulled it about 3 months ago to throw in a b16 of some sort, I think the block is toast on the H22A4 which is why I'm wondering if he busted the engine, how do I know the head is in good shape? He's asking $300 for it, he said it's been hot tanked and semi-ported through the exhaust port.

When I spoke with him on the phone he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Head isn't complete, no intake manifold, but he does have other parts, like the transmission that is in good shape. Is this a good deal or not? I think I'd rather get a complete H22A engine...but if it's a good deal, shit it's local I could grab it after work and not pay for shipping and all that.
    '93 LX Coupe

just give it a good visual...worse comes worse it needs to be rebuilt.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

$300 is ok... not a steal, but not a bad price. Two questions I would ask before buying are:

1) How was the motor blown? If it was a broken timing belt, the head may have sustained damage. Unlikely, though, if you can't see it in pictures. If a piston meets a valve, it's obvious!

2) Who did the porting, and what experience do they have? A bad port job can make a head perform far worse than stock. If some redneck just went at it with a dremel, it could be crap. If it was done by a shop, I'd ask for the contact info and give them a call... see if they have any history with Honda heads.

If everything checks out, it's not a bad deal. You could always rebuild if it needs it (unless that porting job is a trainwreck), but $300 for a head that needs a rebuild is a bit pricey.
      Keep an eye out for an H22A block. Fine one that's clean, get some new internals (Mahle makes pistons that are compatible with the H22A's FRM sleeves... they're not dirt cheap, but they're pretty reasonably priced) and you could have yourself a nice mild build.

Comment

you can get complete virgin h22 heads for 250 all day. hell i got a complete motor for 125 with a spun rod.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

You have to remember it is also based on the location. You might not find such good deals in more rural areas although I have never been to Washington state so I couldnt say. Also there is a lot of snow in that area so cars don't last so long there which is another factor to consider, could you find it easily in a junkyard since the car would easily rot away yet the aluminum engine would be fine? Could you find it cheaper in a junkyard? Is there a large Honda "scene" there?

For around here that is more on the expensive side but we also have more Honda people in this state than most other states.
          Last edited by Cobalt; 12-17-2010, 08:34 PM.
          Call me Travis.
          2006 Cobalt LS/SC ~ "Burt the Bloody Bumble Bee"
          1992 Accord LX ~ "Smoothie"
          1991 CRX Si ~ Hellion
          1989 GMC S15 ~ Oldie

Comment

I got an H22A head for $200 shipped from a member on here a few years ago.

Comment

Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

From what I can tell, and pictures don't tell all, it looks to be in really good condition based on what I know from honda engines(which is b16s and our f22s). There is a small honda "scene" here, but it's not huge by any means, and i've been to all the junkyards within a 50 mile radius and I've found only one prelude, and it wasn't an h22.

if i want an engine i'd have to go get it from spokane or seattle, both at least 2 and a half hours away, and i don't have a truck...just my cb7. so 300 sounds about right and i wouldn't have to deal with shipping / pickup. i'll keep an eye out, and if it's still available in a couple weeks after the holidays and i haven't found anything else i'll offer him 200 for it. can't hurt to have an extra head around anyway if i find something later, right?
              '93 LX Coupe

Comment

and actually, the area that i live in southeastern washington, is very dry, it's a desert actually. so it's much like california in that way, i have yet to see any rusted out cancer infested hondas local in all my life here. it's a good locale to find parts, that is, if you can find them
                '93 LX Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by jakeafton View Post
                  and actually, the area that i live in southeastern washington, is very dry, it's a desert actually. so it's much like california in that way, i have yet to see any rusted out cancer infested hondas local in all my life here. it's a good locale to find parts, that is, if you can find them
                  Well in that case my snow statement is invalid.
                  Call me Travis.
                  2006 Cobalt LS/SC ~ "Burt the Bloody Bumble Bee"
                  1992 Accord LX ~ "Smoothie"
                  1991 CRX Si ~ Hellion
                  1989 GMC S15 ~ Oldie

Comment

Working...
                  X