Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How affective is changing intake temperatures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How affective is changing intake temperatures?

My question is,

How helpful is a large decrease in intake air temperature?

And also what affects does cooler air have on your performance?

Also what else does cooler intake temperature help?

Basically what I am asking is. Say you have a stock intake box. than you switch to a cold air. Which sucks are from outside of the engine bay more efficiently than a OEM box. How great of a affect does this have one you Engine?

I have searched this and I have a good understanding of what im going to be doing but I would like some more insight on this topic.

I already have a short ram on my car. I am not searching for the reason of buying one. Just general research for my knowledge.

I thank anyone that gives useful insight/knowledge ahead of time
    Thank you,
    Steve (bucky)
    You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
    Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Cold air is more dense, therefore it increases hp. I've read that for every 10 degrees you drop the intake temp, you gain roughly 1 hp

Comment

Ten to one is average, I believe. Humidity and altitude also play a part. If you watch guys at the track, you'll see them putting bags of ice on their intakes and top mount intercoolers right up until they're next.

Comment

its a fight

some say,
        too cold is bad, too heat is worse

heatwrap header, plastic CAI, coolant bypass, lower t-stat vent hood will proably drop a few degrees

removing the t-stat is not an option
        Originally posted by deevergote
        Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Yeah im working on this project and I know the tubing I have designed and made will definitely decrease temperatures. But the problem comes with the filter part. No matter what it's going to be a fight to get that to stop grabbing hot air.
          You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
          Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

cai is probably the best way. Or if you run your ac all the tim run a intake tube into your car LOL super cold air!
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
              cai is probably the best way. Or if you run your ac all the time run a intake tube into your car LOL super cold air!
              I believe I remember reading something similar to this. I think they somehow ran a some duct work from like an ac vent to the intake tube for colder air.

Comment

I did a study in my van with and without a CAI setup. The temps were lower but not that much lower than engine bay temperature area.

but its better than nothing, I didnt have any airflow going into the area inside the bumper so thats probably what would help
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Well for a project I am working on a intake tube that will reduce air temperature. But it will be very minuscule compared to what it will be once I figure out a way to actually have it drawing in cooler air

Comment

run as many phenolic gaskets as you can. engines get hot.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I also remember reading in a magazine back in the day, this guy did a test on intake tubes. He had one he spent a couple hundred dollars on, I believe it was an AEM, did some runs at the track, then he had one that he spent a total of less than 5 dollars on, it consisted of some PVC pipe and a 2 liter Mt. Dew bottle, the one that was less than 5 dollars showed more gains than the expensive one

Comment

Working...
                      X