Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

installing shortshifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing shortshifter

I dont know how to install my obx adapter shortshifter on my cb7, can anyone help me, diy tips thanks.

There's really no need for a DIY.

Remove the shift cable that allows you to move into gear.
    Place adapter where you disconnected the cable.
    Place the cable in the adapter.

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

My pics when installed:

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Does doing it this way cause any long term problems?
        Like, will it affect anything over time?

Comment

nope

92 cb7 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176886

91 cb9 wagon

Comment

Originally posted by nate'sCB7 View Post
            Does doing it this way cause any long term problems?
            Like, will it affect anything over time?
            Some people report harsh/notchy shifts.
            I had no issue with it at all, but it was only installed for about 6 months.

Only reason I took it out was because I got an actual short shifter, not adapter.

1999 BMW M3
            2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
            2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
            2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

I had notchy shifting, which led to grinding my gears. It went away when I returned it to stock. A short shifter is putting the shifter cables in a constant state of "partial shift". Perhaps it's not harmful, but my experiences showed otherwise.

I also had an adapter... mine was Neuspeed (which is what OBX ripped off of, since they're nothing more than a copycat company.... albeit a good one.) My adapter kept falling off, no matter how much I tightened it. You might want to put some loctite on that hex bolt that keeps it in place.

Comment

I did the short shifter deal also. It caused me problems. I had to replace the entire shift cables. I reverted back to stock because it didnt make my car faster

Comment

stay stock unless u up grade clutch

Comment

did any of you even change the trans fluid? i ran a short shifter for some time and the transmission felt the same after 60k miles after it was returned to stock.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by charles.scarlet View Post
                      stay stock unless u up grade clutch
                      The short shifter has absolutely nothing to do with the clutch's holding power. In fact, keeping an upgraded clutch in a partial-shift state would possibly cause accelerated wear.

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                      did any of you even change the trans fluid? i ran a short shifter for some time and the transmission felt the same after 60k miles after it was returned to stock.
                      I did, yes. GM Syncromesh fluid, as well as a new clutch/flywheel/pressureplate. Notchy as hell, until I put it back to stock... then smooth as butter.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        A short shifter is putting the shifter cables in a constant state of "partial shift".
                        Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        In fact, keeping an upgraded clutch in a partial-shift state would possibly cause accelerated wear.
                        Care to explain specifically what the shifter has to do with where the clutch fork settles?
                        My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Take your shifter. Push on it without depressing the clutch pedal. Feel the resistance. You can feel the vibration of the clutch. That is because you're pushing on the cable.
                          Now, a short shifter shortens the length of the cable's travel. Essentially, it's like you are ALWAYS pushing a bit on that lever.

Comment

agreed..^^^

my yeamans DIY short shifter.. well.. i guess im a bit of a brute.. cause it broke off.. the welded point that he added(higher than stock.. luck for me the stock point was still there..

so while be stranding in a parking lot.. i said fuck it..and put it back to stock..

O.M.G.. the butter shifts.. lol.. it felt so nice to drive again..

idk all the reasons behind it.. but ill loose the .5 of a second because my shifts take a little longer.. for a much smoother driving experience

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Having to try 3 times to slam mine into gear wasn't saving me any time! I also did a 3rd gear redline to 2nd gear shift once... most of the H22-equipped staff has... I'm the ONLY one fortunate enough not to have blown up! That's when it went back to stock!

Maple also broke a modified stock shifter. I think he snapped the Fushigi one (two, actually... I think.) Yeamans shifter was basically just a copy of the Fushigi one... not that there was much to copy. It did nothing different than an adapter, but instead of bolting a piece on, a new mounting point was welded on. Nothing fancy.

Comment

Working...
                              X