Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Skreeching Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skreeching Belt

I just replaced my altenator the other day and now when I start my car up the belt sckreeches loud for about 10 seconds then goes away. Anyone know why so I can stop getting crazy looks from people! lol I was thinking the belt is either to tight or to loose. Thanks!!!
    SwaggerJacker

Just try tightening it. DO NOT use any belt dressing, oil, nothing.

Comment

How tight should I make it? I made it so there is just a little play but not much. I do not want to over tighten it to where it make break.
      SwaggerJacker

Comment

I would just tighten it until the belt stops squealing. If it keeps squealing, it may be another issue. Just don't over tighten it. I'm not exactly sure how much play there should be in a belt, in terms of a technical measurement. I'd say probably less than a quarter inch??

Comment

I just thought it was weird how it goes away after about 10 seconds or so after starting it up. I guess I'll just try yo tighten it up tomorrow and see how it goes. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.I'll check back tomorrow before I go mess with it.Thanks nine deuce
          SwaggerJacker

Comment

No problem.

I forgot to ask, is it cold where you live, by chance? Reason I ask is, tightening it may not solve the problem. If the belt is cold, its stiff and doesn't really roll with the pullies, then after a few seconds, it warms up and is more flexible.

Quick edit. I just saw where you're from, it's probably not cold... but just wanted to make sure??

Comment

My Chilton's guide says that there should be about 1/4" of play that you can move in the belt for every 7 inches of belt between pulleys.

I had some loud screeching too with new belts and tightening it up to that spec fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by D1sclaimer View Post
                My Chilton's guide says that there should be about 1/4" of play that you can move in the belt for every 7 inches of belt
                At what force? Use the OE manual and a good belt tension gauge. I believe it's about 12mm @ 10lbs on the alt and 10mm @10lbs on th pwr str.

Comment

I've always used this as a guide on the belts, just twist the belt with your fingers from it's longest point and it should turn about 45degr. You don't need much force to do this. If it still squeels then try to tighten it abit more. I also had my belt squeeling like you said, 5-10s and stops. I've never used any exact measures on the belt and never have I snaped it in pieces. Ofcourse if you got the exact values for it and don't feel comfortable doing this then do it with the right values. Btw, are you sure it's alternator and not the P/S belt?

Comment

I have not changed my location but I'm in Sacramento and it is cold! I know its my altenator belt because I do not have p/s I will just try to tighten it a bit and see what happens. I'm pretty sure thats what it is. I'll post a update once I cure the prob.
                    SwaggerJacker

Comment

Update: All is fixed! Just tightened up the belt a few turns and no more skreeching Thanks all!
                      SwaggerJacker

Comment

Perfect. I was just coming home from school today, the nut that holds the pulley on my power steering pump decided to fall off, the pulley is all cock-eyed and rubbing against my power steering module or whatever that is under my hood, had a nice little spark show from metal on metal. Suhweeet!

Comment

that sucks dude! fortunatly i don't have p/s
                          SwaggerJacker

Comment

Keep in mind that a new belt will stretch some after initial installation and operation, so having to go back and tighten a relatively new belt is not uncommon.
                            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                            X