Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Need to replace my upper ball joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to replace my upper ball joints

my cars been making a squeaking noise when i turn the wheels and sometimes even when I'm driving slow down certain times, this all started when its started to get cold out. (i live in Chicago). anyways i checked my ball joints and the lower ones seem fine although the upper ones are torn all the way around. i have read thread about people recommending tasauto control arms and such and would like to get those in the future when i upgrade my suspension to koni yellows and g/c springs....

but for now do you guys think i can make due with just simply replacing the ball joint itself with napa upper ball joints? I understand about not cheaping out on suspension part but i go to collage and my fund are very limited

btw i have a 93 accord sedan no major upgrades yet

you can replace it. The reason why people say go with the arm becasue it is easy.

However, do you plan to drop your car? If you are then perhaps now is time to buy a balljoint camber kit. They run roughly 150 and replaces that balljoint.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

If your on a budget, check to see if your upper ball joints are bad by jacking up your car and pulling and pushing the top of your wheel back and forth, if they wiggle then your ball joints are bad. Its easiest to replace the whole control arm as stated above. I recently finished doing this job on my car. I went with
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pair-...Q5fAccessories
      $54.99
      Last edited by 92 OEM; 11-17-2010, 02:30 AM.

Comment

thanks accordztech. and yes i do plan on lowering the car and i was looking into getting the whole control arm from tasauto which include the poly. bushings and adjustable ball joints. all this i will most likely definitely do this upcoming spring/summer so so if i can get away with using some ball joints for 40 dollars a pair at napa, enough to last me at least 6 month ill probably do that. i just cant stand that squeak.
        Last edited by Rayz92; 11-17-2010, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 92 OEM View Post
          To check to see if your upper ball joints are bad jack up your car and pull and push the top of your wheel back and forth, if they wiggle then your ball joints are bad. Its easiest and best to replace the whole control arm. I recently finished doing this job on my car. I went with
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pair-...Q5fAccessories

but many people dont have very good things to say about ebay supension parts.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolsGold69 View Post
            thanks accordztech. and yes i do plan on lowering the car and i was looking into getting the whole control arm from tasauto which include the poly. bushings and adjustable ball joints. all this i will most likely definitely do this upcoming spring/summer so so if i can get away with using some ball joints for 40 dollars a pair at napa, enough to last me at least 6 month ill probably do that. i just cant stand that squeak.
            http://www.bbn-performance.com/chassistech.html
            wat?

Comment

those would be a nice alternative to the tasauto ones and less expensive. what are your experience with them?

Comment

Originally posted by FoolsGold69 View Post
                those would be a nice alternative to the tasauto ones and less expensive. what are your experience with them?
                I have them in my hand, putting them on friday
                wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                  I have them in my hand, putting them on friday
                  Nice ive decided to just replace the ball joint for now. definitely let me now how those upper control arms work for you once you get them installed may consider buying those when i lower my ride in the summer

Comment

Honda does not sell the joint separately. It comes in the arm.
                    It is pressed into the arm. Removing it may weaken the metal that holds it (which is fairly thin.)

It is not a good idea to replace the joint only. Do so at your own risk. Remember, if that joint fails, it will fail at speed, and you will crash.

Comment

definitely safer to do whole arm!!!
                      Oh and don't forget to make sure you get that alignment afterwards!!!
                      I AM KOONCE THE LEGEND!!!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        Honda does not sell the joint separately. It comes in the arm.
                        It is pressed into the arm. Removing it may weaken the metal that holds it (which is fairly thin.)

It is not a good idea to replace the joint only. Do so at your own risk. Remember, if that joint fails, it will fail at speed, and you will crash.
                        I have the ingalls camber balljoint kit with no issues, I think for an idiot who wacks the shit out of the hole there may be an issue but not one who presss it out properly
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

True, but the condition of the arm also comes into play. It's a 20 year old piece of metal, and a very thin band holdng that joint in. If it stretches even a little during removal, and a stock replacment joint is used (aftermarket, not OEM, because you can't get OEM...) then it may come loose when pushed hard.

The full arms aren't very expensive.

Comment

The other option if the joint itself is not loose is to just replace the boots. These can be purchased separately from Honda.
                            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                            X