Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Replacing bearings in head? Also oil pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing bearings in head? Also oil pump question

Hey guys
    I have a 1991 Honda Accord LX that is giving me some problems...

The shaft in my cylinder head is seized up (I think it's called the cam shaft?). I believe this happened soon after I started it, when I heard a metal on metal grinding sound. (It stopped when I put in 2 or 3 quarts of oil). Right now, underneath the valve cover, the spot where the shaft comes into the head (I think that's where the bearings are?) is blackened and dry, not copper-colored and oily like the rest of the valve springs etc. This makes me think that my bearings seized up from getting too hot from lack of oil.

My question is:

Is there anything I should know before I take the head apart and change those bearings?

Also: It doesn't seem to me that if the car was only 2-3 quarts low, that it would make that bad of a grinding sound when I started it. (Although it had been sitting for a while)
    Is there any possibility of the oil pump going out? (Do these cars even have an oil pump?) How would I test it? Where is it?

Thank you much. I really appreciate it.

Originally posted by 45below View Post
    Hey guys

The shaft in my cylinder head is seized up (I think it's called the cam shaft?). I believe this happened soon after I started it, when I heard a metal on metal grinding sound. (It stopped when I put in 2 or 3 quarts of oil). Right now, underneath the valve cover, the spot where the shaft comes into the head (I think that's where the bearings are?) is blackened and dry, not copper-colored and oily like the rest of the valve springs etc. This makes me think that my bearings seized up from getting too hot from lack of oil.

My question is:

Is there anything I should know before I take the head apart and change those bearings?

:

Also: It doesn't seem to me that if the car was only 2-3 quarts low, that it would make that bad of a grinding sound when I started it. (Although it had been sitting for a while)
    Is there any possibility of the oil pump going out? (Do these cars even have an oil pump?) How would I test it? Where is it?

F-motors cylinder heads have bearings??
    www.PreludePower.com
    BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

Originally posted by 45below View Post
      Hey guys

My question is:

You can't change the bearings in the head. They are part of the head themselves. The same thing actually just happened to my car.

Does your head kinda look like this?

If so, you will definitely be needing a new head.

The CB7 does have an oil pump. It is located under the timing cover, timing belts, and connected to the crankshaft. There really isn't a way to test the oil pump other than to see if oil is flowing. If your cam has seized, I doubt you are getting oil flow. You should get a Haynes repair manual if you don't have one. It explains a lot.

I'm thinking my oil pump went out, but only having 148k miles I'm not sure. Because I know that I probably roasted all of the bearings in the motor from oil starvation, so I'm just swapping a new motor in.

It is possible that your oil pan may have gotten damaged somehow thus making the oil pickup, which rests in the bottom of the pan, not pick up oil. Take a look under your car and see if the black pan at the bottom of the motor has any large dents in it.

If the motor has damage from lack of oil, it may just be easier to get a different motor rather than trying to fix the one you have in it.

Good luck!
      Last edited by EJX_Michael; 10-07-2010, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUBB2 View Post
        F-motors cylinder heads have bearings??
        No they don't, but congratulations on pointing out to the OP (who is obviously a beginner) that he hasn't pulled a honda head apart before.
        And on top of that you diddn't even give him ANY useful advice . . .

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

The cam runs directly on bearing surfaces in the head, so if they are damaged, you have to change the head as EJX said, probably the cam as well. Even if the pan was low on oil, the head has oil wells that retain a pool of oil under the lobes and adjacent to the bearings so that there is oil there on start up. Are you sure the noise was from the cam itself? From your description, the cam still turned after putting oil in? Have you actually pulled the cam to look at the bearing surfaces? Got a picture of the area you're calling blackened and dry (not the area where the cam seal goes is it)?
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
            No they don't, but congratulations on pointing out to the OP (who is obviously a beginner) that he hasn't pulled a honda head apart before.
            And on top of that you diddn't even give him ANY useful advice . . .
            Unless he was unsure himself...

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Unless he was unsure himself...
              True, and I just happened to be a a bad mood last night.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I don't blame you... I'm in a bad mood most nights. And most mornings. It just so happens I'm in one of my rare good moods (even though I DID shut down my decal sales once again...)

Comment

I apologize for being sarcastic and yes i do know that we do not have head bearings. To the OP, it sounds like a new motor is the most cost-effecient thing to do here considering the likely damage.
                  www.PreludePower.com
                  BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

notice any oil lights coming on the dash when the sound happened? or id check if the oil pressure light even works at key up.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                    X