Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

My car is randomly backfiring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car is randomly backfiring.

Ok so I just bought my first cb7 not too long ago and it's time I start working on it. For starters I've recently changed the alternator, main relay, and battery terminals, because it wouldn't start. While we did that I took off the power steering and the cruise control because neither of them worked to begin with. Now it's backfiring randomly. The other day I was stopped at a redlight and it started idling really bad eventually it shut off. Also when I drive it from work to my house(probably 20miles) it's billowing smoke by the time i get home. And my little "Maintenance Required" light has went from loud green to like hot red. It has 240,000 miles on it. Does anyone wanna take a crack at what might be wrong with it? I could really use some help.

That maintenance required thing is only a mileage counter. It has no idea what's going on in your engine. Ignore it.

A backfire is due to an unburned fuel mixture being released through the exhaust valves and igniting in the exhaust system (the catalytic converter usually gets hot enough to accomplish this.)

Check your spark plugs for oil. Chances are, at least one is completely fouled, causing the fuel mixture to go unburned. Also check the condition of your spark plug wires. Other than that, be sure your ignition timing is set correctly.

The catalytic converter itself may be damaged or clogged. That may need to be replaced as well.

Comment

ok I'll do that now what about the smoking and the idling...when ever it's in park it idles up and down non-stop.

Comment

Search for threads made by HondaFan81. He made two threads, one for setting your base idle, and one for setting your base ignition timing. Follow both of them. If that idle fix doesn't help, then you may need to replace your IACV and/or FITV.

What color is the smoke? Black is excess fuel, which is most likely since you're backfiring. Blue is oil, which is also likely if your spark plugs are covered in oil. White would be coolant, and indicates a blown head gasket. That would be the worst case.

Comment

it's definitely white...

Comment

Does it smell sweet?

Comment

probably has a blown head gasket that probly why the owner sold it.....

Comment

yeah it is kind of a sweet smell and I figure it comes from somewhere deep in the engine because it comes up through the hood and down out of the bottom of the engine.

Comment

Yeah, that's a blown head gasket. When that happens, coolant gets into the engine. It can do some serious damage if left as it is. You're going to have to get it fixed ASAP, or plan on replacing that engine (as well as your o2 sensor and catalytic converter)

Sadly, doing that job is neither cheap, nor easy... BUT you can do a hell of a lot of refreshing of the engine in the process!

Comment

If you got the time and tools its cheap and easy
                    wat?

Comment

yea, ive had honda heads off in 2 hours. it's pretty easy, just make sure you mark the timing belt.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

For a beginner, it's a pretty involved task.

Comment

Very simple process bud at beginner lvl shouldnt take you more than a few hours if youve got the tools(10mm,12mm,14mm and a pair off chanel locks for your hoses)<--think that about cover the tools needed.Me well im known for my quickness on swaps and mostly everything else besides wirring.But i have all the tq specs needed for you also get your head shaved and decked b4 slaping a new HG on.Also id suggest a OEM 3 layer metal HG.

02 Crv
                          02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                          92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                          Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Shaved and decked (decking is done to the block)... no. Not unless they are warped. If the head is warped, it should be milled as little as possible to return the surface to a perfectly flat condition. That's it.

It's not a very difficult process, but it's fairly involved. It's not something I would take lightly the first time doing it. Get a good manual (www.helminc.com is the place to find the best one... the real Honda factory manual) and follow it closely. Torque specs and bolt loosening/tightening order is VERY important.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              Shaved and decked (decking is done to the block)... no. Not unless they are warped. If the head is warped, it should be milled as little as possible to return the surface to a perfectly flat condition. That's it.

It's not a very difficult process, but it's fairly involved. It's not something I would take lightly the first time doing it. Get a good manual (www.helminc.com is the place to find the best one... the real Honda factory manual) and follow it closely. Torque specs and bolt loosening/tightening order is VERY important.
                              No id allways get the head shaved if i blew a HG or did a head swap and the head can be checked for warpage aswell as pressure tested.Ive allways done it everyone ik in the honda game has allways done it.You dont think that extra heat wont warp it?Id go the safe route a get it atleast shaved a bit.

02 Crv
                              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Working...
                              X