Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Laundry List of problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laundry List of problems...

Hey guys, I have a laundry list of problems i need to fix in my car and was wondering if there are easier ways or tips on fixing

- light Rust on trunk (clear coat peeling)
    - medium Rust on the inside lining of the trunk (The part that is connected to the body)
    -Automatic window (rear left) wont work, others getting weak.
    -Automatic seat belts wont slide up and down.
    -Auto locks wont work
    -Compressor (Cant turn AC on unless actually driving, or else belt will come off)
    -Dent on front passenger fender.
    -right brake light not working (when you press brake)
    -Refinishing interior and exterior door trim

Im planning to get a new paint job in a few months by Maaco ive heard they paint whole car for under $300. I know its not the best but I dont want to spend $1000 which will be more then the car what do you think?

Thanks A lot guys!

^MRT^

Maaco will paint it for that price... but you'll want to get the bodywork done as well. Either by them, yourself, or someone else. If you don't do proper prep and bodywork, the paint will peel off very quickly. Expect to pay $500 for their "$250" job. I had rust cut and welded, and it cost me nearly $700... had it done twice, and the repair didn't take. The paint wasn't bad, but the bodywork sucked. All Maaco shops are different, though... research before you commit. Make sure they do good work.

Replace the trunk lid. Replace the fender. Replace or paint the trim. It's easier than trying to repair it, and will be cheaper as well.

Determine if your brake light is due to a wiring issue, or if the bulb is just blown. Fix whatever needs fixing.

The AC compressor is either failing,and is too difficult to turn... or you simply need to replace the belt. Try the belt first.

The locks may be due to a fuse or relay. Your best bet is to get a manual that shows where those parts are. That, or the switch itself is bad. Grab some junkyard parts and do some testing.

The seat belts may be covered under recall by the dealer. If not, replace them with junkyard parts, or convert to manual seatbelts from a 92-93.

Comment

Originally posted by AmznAzn View Post
      Hey guys, I have a laundry list of problems i need to fix in my car and was wondering if there are easier ways or tips on fixing
      - light Rust on trunk (clear coat peeling)

This may need to be cut out if its worse underneath

I suggest:

flaking/rubbing off all the rust.
      Put some rust converter/anti rust and a coat of etch primer.
      Body filler if needed (then sand flush)
      Spray filler primer and then sand again.
      Paint it (get some mixed in a pressure pack can) and
      then put some clear coats on (blended to the rest of the body work).

That way the rust will not develop further (or at least in a much much slower rate) till you can fix it more properly (if needed).

- medium Rust on the inside lining of the trunk (The part that is connected to the body)

As above.

If severe and you dont want to cut and weld (but theres a hole) use fibre glass.

-Automatic window (rear left) wont work, others getting weak.

Lubricate it before you burn out the motors. Use silicone. Check the can that it actually says safe or recommended for automotive seals and weather strips. It will not only lubricate but condition the rubbers to be a little more moist (it may be dry, lost its flexibility, cracked and causing too much grip. Clean the tracks and guides if you can by removing the door panel)

-Automatic seat belts wont slide up and down.

As mentioned by Deeveregote above or
      replace with one from the junk yard or
      if you have a local electrician that can recondition electric motors then give that a try (possible its only a carbon brush - if you dont burn the motor out before hand)

-Auto locks wont work

If not an electrical problem then you can get them from the JY.
      Its called "central locking actuator". Not 100% sure but I think parts from other Hondas of that year or accords in the following generation will also work.
      You can also use after market ones (commonly used by alarm installers).

-Compressor (Cant turn AC on unless actually driving, or else belt will come off)

Perhaps the clutch inside is becoming faulty or the compressor needs oil

I heard some compressors also need oil as lubricant. Have it checked or grab one from the JY and just replace it.
      Last edited by JDMDriver; 09-23-2010, 06:24 AM.
      Rides:

Accord
      92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
      96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
      88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
      95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
      92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
      91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
      91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

for the rust inside the trunk you can also try POR-15. its a rust killing paint/coating that i have seen used. its available at the auto parts store or order onlie

as to everything else ,deev and jdm have given you the best plan to follow
        http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Thx Everyone!

^MRT^

Comment

In the future, please keep your thread title relevant to the problem, to help future members when they search for answers.

Comment

Unless you've got mad hobby money, I would skip getting the car painted. Get the brake lights working, get the automatic seatbelts working if it is a safety issue (often it's not because you can still use the seatbelts safely by manually unplugging and plugging them at the top) then deal with the fender and rust. Get the important windows opening on command and call it a day. After that's all done then maybe I'd think about a paint job but actually not me, my car is 18 years old I'm not gonna drop cash on a paint job. Put that money away for your next car would be my approach.

Now if you're really a tuner (I'm not, this is just my daily driver though i love it) then that's different.
              Last edited by batever; 09-25-2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Unless you've got mad hobby money, I would skip getting the car painted. Get the brake lights working, get the automatic seatbelts working if it is a safety issue (often it's not because you can still use the seatbelts safely by manually unplugging and plugging them at the top) then deal with the fender and rust. Get the important windows opening on command and call it a day.

Before you pay a lot of money for cosmetics or even rust work, I'd pull the bottom plastic mouldings down off the siderails and see what kind of shape they are in so you have a comprehensive sense of where the body is in terms of rust . Look in the sticky that shows basic maintenance; I've posted a couple paragraphs about how to get that off easily and without breaking any of the body clips.

After that's all done then maybe I'd think about a paint job but actually not me, my car is 18 years old I'm not gonna drop cash on a paint job unless it's because I did a rust repair on part of the car. Put that money away for your next car would be my approach. Now if you're really a tuner and you've got the cash to spend on it (I'm not, this is just my daily driver that I'm trying to steward through its last next 5 years or so, though i love it) then that's different.

Comment

Working...
                X