Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

timing issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing issue

what should my timing be set, with blu conn. tripped cel on and all? have a full msd ignition now runs good but not like it should, it now set at BTDC 15 btw, please help

I really can't figure out what it is that you're asking...

However, that MSD ignition system is pretty much worthless. It just complicates things. The stock igniton system is fine up to 500hp.

Comment

I believe the OP is saying that the plug used to check CELs (cant remember the technical name for the life of me) is jumpered, and the CEL is solid. The engine needs to be at running temp, didnt see it mentioned so i figure it never hurts to throw it in. Just off the top of my head I think 15* is right on the money.

Comment

so what r u trying to do i have The stock igniton coil on my h22 and it runs fine to me

92 cb7 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176886

91 cb9 wagon

Comment

Yes, 15 degrees is where it is supposed to be. 13-17 is the acceptable range.

Comment

thanx what i thought and yea the ignition system works great in fact better response quicker starting and better mpg ive ran msd on everything ive owned but my CEL wont stay solid it keeps throwin codes thats my problem but tryin to find a P28 ecu right now cuz have a few mods and running a little rich in fact but thanx for the input guys

Comment

You don't want the CEL to stay solid. It's throwing codes because something is wrong. Read the codes and fix the problems.

Why does everyone seem to think that when the CEL goes on, they need a new ECU...

You're going to need to do a proper tune on a P28. You cannot run your engine with a Stock Civic ECU. You're barely capable of typing a coherent sentence, so I find it hard to believe that you're able to tune an ECU yourself...

Comment

Because of the way the ECU controls the timing the MSD ignition is a step in the wrong way. Think of it just like buying all lexan windows in a bone stock daily driver. If you know the car is running rich AND your CEL is on then your not going to fix anything by changing the timing. Masking the issue and fixing it are completly different things. Sure when your brakes start to squeal you can coat it in lube, but your brakes arent magically healed, simply quiet. Start by pulling those codes, because your car will tell you whats wrong with it, or atleast provide a good jumping off point.

Comment

I think he's trying to say that the CEL doesn't stay solid when the blue connector is shorted while trying to set/check the timing, it keeps flashing a code(s).
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

If thats the case then here is a great DIY on setting it;

cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=146242

I <3 DIYs

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                      I think he's trying to say that the CEL doesn't stay solid when the blue connector is shorted while trying to set/check the timing, it keeps flashing a code(s).
                      Yes, and he says so as if he wants it to stay solid (which is a bad ECU.) If it's flashing a code, that means it is reporting a problem. He needs to pull the codes and fix the problems... not replace his ECU with one from a Civic.

People need to stop throwing "upgrades" at their cars when they haven't even repaired the problems.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        Yes, and he says so as if he wants it to stay solid (which is a bad ECU.) If it's flashing a code, that means it is reporting a problem. He needs to pull the codes and fix the problems... not replace his ECU with one from a Civic.
                        I don't mean to be argumentative, but if there are no codes stored, I believe the CEL is supposed to stay on when the service check connector (SCC) is shorted (page 11-31 of the 93 Accord Manual). There is also a note indicating that the CEL will not come on (without the SCC jumped) when there is a malfunction in the A/T FI signal or electrical load detector circuits, but these codes will display if the SCC is jumped.

If the CEL is on with the engine running (without the SCC jumped) and stays on steady (no code is displayed) after jumping the SCC, then the ECU is in backup mode.

I agree he needs to diagnose it properly first. He doesn't say whether the CEL is on with the engine running (no jumper) or what the codes are - both would be helpful information.
                        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

who cares if it throws codes, as long as the CEL isnt on during normal operation then it is fine.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

yes my car does NOT have trouble codes stored and the CEL is supposed to stay on SOLID when its tripped by the blue plug, and i run a P6 ecu now that came with the 93 A6 to all who might care to know btw, thanx

Comment

Your car "runs good but not like it should". What does that mean ? Just exactly how SHOULD it run ?

Like a Formula 1 engine ?

Like a D8 Caterpillar Diesel ?

Like a gas turbine engine ?

Can you be more specific ?

Comment

Working...
                              X