Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Suspension Brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Brands?

I know this is probably a repetitive question, so I apologize in advance, but I've been looking into dropping my car. HOWEVER, as sad as it sounds, I have no plans for ever racing/tracking my CB7.

I'm just hoping for a nice drop that will keep my ride nice and smooth (close to stock or perhaps better than stock if that's even possible).

I know I'm not supposed to run aftermarket springs with stock shocks, but I'm only in my second year of college and I'm currently job-less so i might have to wait a little to purchase some aftermarket shocks.

ANYWWAYS, my question is: What combination of springs(and shocks too I guess) would give me a drop with a really smooth ride?

Thanks ^_^

Lowering your car with stock shocks is very dangerous. If you can't afford to modify your suspension correctly, you can't afford to modify your suspension... period. Save up and do it right, or do something else instead.

On a budget, if you want a smooth ride, I would suggest Tein S-Tech springs and Koni STR.T shocks.
    The drop will be about 1.5". Subtle, but you'll notice a difference in handling and appearance. You just won't look "slammed". The ride will never be smooth if you're slammed, no matter what you do.

Expect to spend about $500-$600. An alignment will be absolutely necessary. For a 1.5" drop, a camber kit is not a necessity, as long as you keep an eye on the inside of your tires. Once the insides are worn out, the tires are done... no matter how much tread they have in the middle.

Be prepared to replace axles (about $75 for a remanufactured axle) or ball joints (about $25 for a lower ball joint... upper ball joints are sold complete with the control arm, and can get pricey... I don't know offhand how much they'd be.)
    If any axle or ball joint boots are ripped, they should be replaced. If you damage either while doing the suspension, they should be replaced.

Comment

Sprint makes 2.25" drop springs that are a pretty soft rate. I believe they are about 20% stiffer than stock.

Koni STR.t's are THE bang for the buck shock though, hands down.

Decide how low you want to go, then pick your springs, then match the shocks to the springs. If the springs that drop you as low as you're wanting are too stiff for your liking, then there's probably a reason for it. So you have two options. 1) don't go as low, or 2)man-up and deal with the harsher ride.
      There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thank you thank you! I've looked into the Tein S-techs and the Tein Hi-techs, which according to them is their "luxury" brand. I think I might go with that and the Koni STR.T's if I can get the cash for the Koni's sometime soon. Tein says the Hi-techs were "designed and tested" for use with stock shocks, so do you think that makes running with stock shocks a little better?

The reason I'm looking for a really smooth ride is because I always give rides to my friends a lot haha. But thank you for the input.

Comment

Do not EVER lower your car on your stock shocks. They're probably nearly blown already. They're old enough to vote! The Konis are fairly cheap, and will take just about anything you throw at them. Trust me. Do not halfass suspension. If that fails, you crash... and that'll be way more expensive to fix that buying new shocks would have been!

Comment

Oh damn, the crash thing scares the crap out of me. And yeah, my car is a 92 model and my parents bought it right before I was born when it just came out in 91, so its technically older than I am. But yeah, after what you said, I'm definitely going for the Konis. I thought I would just ride really rough with blown shocks, but I didn't know it could cause accidents when they blow. Thanks for that info deever

Comment

Working...
            X