Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Will a stock manifold/downpipe/cat benefit from a hi-quality cat-back system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will a stock manifold/downpipe/cat benefit from a hi-quality cat-back system?

Say I have a stock EX with all exhaust components in good condition including a brand new, but stock cat.

Will my car benefit from a high quality cat-back bolt on exhaust system? For example, an APEX-i WS2, or any other cat-back you think is hot.

Wouldn't the restrictions in the small cat be a choke point that would prevent everything behind it from flowing at its optimal capacity? Would I need to replace the cat, flex and/or down pipe to get optimal flow? And then is the header too small?

Or is there an incremental improvement in the larger cat-back pipes and muffler that makes them beneficial?
    90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

you will improve sound, thats about it bro. good luck on your build.

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

Seriously?

So I have to replace every component of my exhaust system for an increase in performance? Because the upstream components bottleneck the better quality cat-back components?

I'm limited, being in California, to which cats I can install.

Comment

you will gain sound and about 1hp without a tune..im in cali too so your best bet is to get a carb legal header and a low sounding exhaust or else cops are going to mess with you constantly..

also, your stock cat will work fine with a cat back exhaust system..only thing is that it does stop the free flowing exhaust from exiting better, therefore you are losing power there. but you can take your chance and run an aftermarket high flow cat, non carb headers, and a loud ass exhaust if you want

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
        Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
        Originally posted by bmxicansd
        so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

Wait, no, I don't want a loud-ass exhaust!

I'd prefer a completely silent exhaust, I have no desire to listen to noise and I don't want anyone to hear me coming. And I don't care about looks. All I want is better performance.

The best I can expect from a cat-back is 1-3 hp?

For better performance:
          My existing stock in ok condition (at $0) vs. a cat-back (at $300 or up)

I should just stick with stock?

Comment

you can benefit from a cat back exhaust if you get a tune. your best bet is to stay stock if you dont want a loud exhaust. or get an APexi WS2 exhaust and call it a day. for you to gain serious hp youre going to have to upgrade your headers, DP, and exhaust. and possibly get a good high flowing cat that is also carb legal (which I think there is a couple of them legal for use in CA, but dont quote me on that)

apart from just getting all that, you would only gain a little hp without a proper tune. It is best if you do not want a loud exhaust and dont want to buy other stuff to just stick to stock.

Rush

Comment

What's the benefit of the APexi WS2 exhaust without the cat, downpipe and header? It just gives you as much free flow as possible without increasing noise for $400 or so?

I appreciate the input. So far, you're saving me $$$ cuz I'm now leaning toward sticking with stock.

Comment

So I'm kinda bumping this cuz I'm still wondering if this is correct:
                Most of the high end, heavily chromed, 4" diameter bazookas are really there just for looks and to make the car sound loud?

I'm really only going to get 1 hp from a new muffler, even a pricey one?

Comment

the reason an apexi is good is because you get an aftermarket exhaust that isnt loud as shit and gives you that clean sound you want without it being over the top. It is pricey though.

like I said before, you wont benefit as much as you would if you got a complete H/DP/E and a good tune.

Rush

Comment

I'm not giving up on this.

Is there anyone who's bought a cat-back who can prove it's helped performance.

Bueller? Anyone at all.

cb7Rush, it's not that I distrust you, it's just that I can't believe everyone spends so much money on these things and all they get for their money is chrome and a tone they like.

Anyone?

Comment

Yes people do. People pay tons of money for looks and sound and imaginary performance every day.

The fact is our stock blocks are designed to have maximum torque and horsepower in the mid-range rpms (3k-5k). The flow capacity to support this is relatively low and so the stock exhaust manifolds and cat are a small diameter to retain adequate flow velocity at these lower rpms to promote efficiency at the engine's peak power.

Installing an aftermarket cat-back will allow better flow, but you're still severely limited by the oem manifold, cat, and cams. As said before, expect a few hp max at the wheels. Your EX already has a slightly better flowing exhaust system than the rest of us so keep that in mind. You won't realize any significant gains from an aftermarket exhaust unless you at least have an h23 IM and true 3" cold air intake. Those together with a catback will net you ~6-8 hp at the wheels. Get a cam along with exhaust and you're looking at +20 minimal with a tune. $$$
                      My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

This thread has made me very sad.

But I think it's saved me about $400.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X