Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

breaking axle nut, knuckle already off the car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

breaking axle nut, knuckle already off the car

need some help or advice as to how i should go about breaking/loosening this axle nut..the axle i need to swap into my car is installed in the knuckle from the donor car...naturally the entire rotor wants 2 spin as i try to loosen the axle nut..any suggestions?

youre only chance with this is if you can take a large pipe or crowbar and wedge it between two of the wheel studs then figure a way to get that to not move.

I would suggest though that you find a friend who has an impact wrench, or buy your own and a compressor, and get a 36mm socket from autozone and go to town with the wrench set on kill. thats how i get mine off and back on.

Comment

I take a long screw driver and put it in the holes on top of the rotor, and it hits the caliper and stops it from moving. and then as you use a pipe on the racthet to get the axle nut off

Comment

yea i tried wedging a broken adjustable wrench with a kinda pointed handle into the back of the brake rotor/hub..that stopped it from turning freely but still may have 2 find a way 2 break the nut, got a 36mm and a torque wrench..pipe wont fit over the handle, so imma try 2 get a big ass 1/2in drive rachet n put the pipe on that next.

Comment

Yup ^^^^
          COUPE K24

Comment

Your best bet and easiest way to take that off is with a impact wrench.

Comment

Don't use your torque wrench to break that nut loose... it's on there way too tight. It'll destroy that wrench. Get a large ratchet, and a pipe that will fit over it.

Comment

use a breaker bar and a 3 or 4 foot long pipe in preference to a ratchet, and don't even think about using a hand torque wrench. If you don't own a breaker bar you can 'rent' one at autozone.

If you had a hand-powered impact tool (the kind that is shaped like a big punch or chisel but takes a socket on the end and you hammer on and it twists the nut free) that would probably work for this scenario as well.

Really, as stated before though, a standard impact wrench, either electric or air powered, would be perfect for this task.

good luck with it.
                Last edited by batever; 09-14-2010, 11:50 AM.

Comment

no autozone dude lol...theres this super poop Carzone, with like universal real BS name gauges for $300 n all kinda StreetGlow shit...grilles n stuff. Wanna burn that place. We got one Goodyear that idk if its even in business, Kmart Appliances, NAPA...real shitty performance 'market'..but yea im going 2 attempt the breaker bar/pipe extension...plus the torque wrench has a wide ass plate with the readings on it close to the handle, no pipe fits on that

Comment

Originally posted by jimy View Post
                    Your best bet and easiest way to take that off is with a impact wrench.
                    This will be the easiest way to get it off, them nuts are like 200-300 ft lbs or more(depending on how long it's been on there and who put it on). I allways use my 1/2in impact wrench. Just take the knuckle to a repair shop and ask them to knock it loose for you.
                    You CAN'T Fix Stupid!

Comment

Originally posted by myblk92ex View Post
                      This will be the easiest way to get it off, them nuts are like 200-300 ft lbs or more(depending on how long it's been on there and who put it on). I allways use my 1/2in impact wrench. Just take the knuckle to a repair shop and ask them to knock it loose for you.
                      ^^^^i like this idea. Take it to a shop and ask them to hit it with their impact wrench and a 36mm impact socket.. They'll most likely oblige. An impact wrench is the only tool that will take that nut off without having to secure the knuckle first.

Make sure to unstake the nut first so there is no impediment to them doing it for you and you have a high chance of them not charging you a thing.

Comment

Actually, if you have a bench vise I bet you could put the axle nut in the vise, then rotate the hub somehow (using a wooden punch and a hammer?) and loosen the nut that way.

Comment

or, reinstall the donor knuckle/axle back in the donor car and then have the axle nut with a breaker bar and socket.

Comment

If you can get your hands on a 3/4in drive ratchet (not a 1/2in the next size up) with a long pole, you can remove the nut with some force. I have broken all of my 1/2in ratchets trying to take that nut off. the 3/4in ratchet did the trick form me.

Comment

yea so that axle didnt have the correct splinage...so i found an abandoned one thats being stripped...ill hop to it 2morrow morning...the engine n tranny r gone but the knuckles n axles r there n still mounted..got my 3/4inch craftsman/pipe crowbar my rotor-jammer 36mm n flatheads/chisels/hammer to unstake the stake..

Comment

Working...
                              X