Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

water as coolant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water as coolant?

will this hurt anything?
    I've always ran just water(except winter) as coolant.
    here lately I've noticed that the temp gauge goes up above half when i am sitting a while after driving. would this be because of the boiling point of the water, or would it be my thermo going bad?
    Originally posted by scudweiser
    once again people, need i remind you that there is no road between the kitchen and the bedroom, and therefore women need not drive?

I am a little rusty on coolant properties but I believe it is because you have the water boiling.

Antifreeze not only lowers the freezing temp when mixed in the right proportion with water but it also drastically increases the boiling point. My guess is that it is boiling and causing an air pocket near the thermostat housing causing it to take more pressure to be pushed by the water pump.
    Call me Travis.
    2006 Cobalt LS/SC ~ "Burt the Bloody Bumble Bee"
    1992 Accord LX ~ "Smoothie"
    1991 CRX Si ~ Hellion
    1989 GMC S15 ~ Oldie

Comment

go to walmart spend 10 bucks and get some coolant
      -----------------------------------------------

''It is what it is, Do what you want''
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167905

Comment

Funny he used the word rusty.
        I believe that it also corrodes your water ports, thermostat, water pump, ect.
        Bad Idea to use water only. Use coolant always !!!
        My YouTube channel
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWG...y6tJ7wJMI4J8vA
        Instagram
        https://www.instagram.com/dreamability71/
        Members Ride.
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210942

Comment

antifreeze raises the boiling point, lowers the freezing point and lubricates everything.

pure water is fine as a temp solution but you're just better off with an antifreeze/water mixture.

it also helps to keep your engine at a more average operating temperature which reduces the shrinking/expanding that metal goes through at certain temps, which in theory means your shit will last longer.
          ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

thanks guys
            Originally posted by scudweiser
            once again people, need i remind you that there is no road between the kitchen and the bedroom, and therefore women need not drive?

Comment

if you're going to use water, add a bottle of water wetter. water is cooler than coolant, also remember to check your rad cap and its condition/rating
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Water will cause corrosion in some parts of the system, which can result in clogging.
                If you aren't using pure distilled water, then the minerals can cause issues as well (tap water is a bad idea.)

You should never run pure water, unless you have a specific reason to do so. For a daily driven CB7, I don't imagine there is one.

Comment

water also has no lubricating properties which your water pump needs for longer service.

No need to go 50/50 (do NOT buy premix btw waste of money)

save some cash and prolong the water pumps life...use 70% water 30% coolant...good to go.
                  Last edited by bcjammerx; 09-13-2010, 01:47 AM.
                  ____

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                    water also has no lubricating properties which your water pump needs for longer service.

No need to go 50/50 (do NOT buy premix btw waste of money)

save some cash and prolong the water pumps life...use 70% water 30% coolant...good to go.
                    not if you are in a cold climate! 50/50 for us northerners is recommended for winter. I hear that in canada they do 60/40 coolant to water
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

You want to use deionized water. Distilled water promotes electrolosis.

Comment

Originally posted by red07frontier View Post
                        You want to use deionized water. Distilled water promotes electrolosis.
                        why does distilled water promote electrolysis?

wait--i'll have to get my water deionizer out!

If you buy the stuff from Honda it comes premixed 50/50. I presume deionized as well if it's indeed the case that deionized water is better for this purpose. It does cost some coin, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
                          I am a little rusty on coolant properties
                          Hey, Cobalt, nice pun!

Comment

i live in the virgin islands...no freakin winter...after seeing a couple heads warped firsthand, i vowed to use coolant alone..any problems with that?

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
                              Hey, Cobalt, nice pun!
                              Although off topic thank you
                              Call me Travis.
                              2006 Cobalt LS/SC ~ "Burt the Bloody Bumble Bee"
                              1992 Accord LX ~ "Smoothie"
                              1991 CRX Si ~ Hellion
                              1989 GMC S15 ~ Oldie

Comment

Working...
                              X