Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

struts springs and coilovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

struts springs and coilovers

so im looking into suspension and i find all these great struts and springs and coilovers. my question is..could any coilover sleeve be added to any strut and spring combo? is it safe to do this? im thinking safety before anything.. im thinking of getting a strut and spring combo but i also want to adjust for winter use. seems like its a lil less money to do it this way than getting a full coilover set. does anyone have coilover sleeves?
    Last edited by buzz11; 09-08-2010, 02:51 AM.

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
    My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
    Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

you cant run coil sleeves, springs, and struts. the sleeves replace the springs but with added perches. you can get ebay sleeves for super cheap, but not safe, and say bye bye to your struts. if you want safe dont go cheap. and real coil over suspension is going to cost more usually. if your going to buy any sleeves i would recommend ground control, cause you call, tell them about your car and driving style, and theyll send you a perfect set of sleeves tuned for application
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Theoretically, you COULD add adjustable sleeves to any spring... but I sure as hell wouldn't risk it. domesticated is absolutely correct in saying the cheap perches are unsafe.

If you want coilover sleeves, get a set of Ground Controls. They're the only ones I'd trust. The springs on them are Eibach.

Match them to Koni Yellows. You HAVE to get good struts when lowering your car. Cheap stock replacement struts are not made to be lowered, or run with a high spring rate... and will blow quickly. They will also be unsafe because they are not designed to keep the car balanced. It may ride alright at first, but in an emergency the car won't respond as it should.

Comment

i had ebay coilovers on stock shocks on my first cb7.not fun at all.

Comment

be careful with koni yellows, they were built for just performance, not for really low stance. they also arent cheap. BC coilover kit for my neon is 999, koni yellow, GC coils, and GC camber plates is closer to 2200. make sure your know your needs and use before you buy suspension. an actual coil over kit is designed to handle a really low stance so that may be the option your looking for

Comment

i cant really comment on supension for a cb7. but i had a 91 honda prelude si lowered on H&R sport springs mated with Tokico HP struts, and i have to admit the ride, stance, and handling was perfect.

Comment

Tokico HP are practically stock replacement. They aren't made to be lowered much more than 1", and they aren't made for a spring rate any higher than about 15% over stock. NOT a good match to H&R Sport. Just better than ancient blown stock crap.

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                be careful with koni yellows, they were built for just performance, not for really low stance. they also arent cheap. BC coilover kit for my neon is 999, koni yellow, GC coils, and GC camber plates is closer to 2200. make sure your know your needs and use before you buy suspension. an actual coil over kit is designed to handle a really low stance so that may be the option your looking for
                Koni Yellows can handle just about anything you throw at them. You can also have them custom valved if necessary. The lifetime warranty is honored no matter how low you go. Granted, having them valved for your specific spring rate is never a bad idea. Neuspeed sells their "Cup Kit" with their own version of Koni Yellows and their Race springs. That kit runs about $700, I believe. A good camber kit can be $150-$400 on top of that.

A GOOD coilover kit will handle just about anything. Sadly, many of the kits out there are garbage. Not all coilover kits are created equal. Just like shocks and springs, you have to buy one that you know you can trust! Also, you have to buy one that will suit your driving needs. A full race setup will be expensive, but not necessarily better. It could actually be more dangerous on the street than a cheaper, milder kit... and not last as long, because it wasn't intended to combat potholes, speed bumps, and the mileage of daily driving.

Saying this in general, not in response to the quote above... People really need to learn about suspension. It's one of the first things people modify, and it's probably the one thing that is most commonly done completely wrong. People don't understand what they're doing, and they are seriously compromising the safety and reliability of their vehicle. The parts selected must be properly matched to each other, to the vehicle, the environment, and to the driver's intentions. You will NEVER be able to safely lower your car with new parts for under $500.

Comment

dropzone full coilovers ftw

cheap and fully adjustable!
                  Last edited by rum_n_coke; 09-08-2010, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    Koni Yellows can handle just about anything you throw at them. The lifetime warranty is honored no matter how low you go.
                    actually it specifically says in the warranty that if their is oil coated on the struts it voids the warranty. going to low will blow them. and if they had a lifetime warranty us neon guys wouldnt be in the market for them all the time cause we get them stock from the factory in the acr and we could just trade them in for new ones. guys who do a 2.5-3" drop on the neons with koni yellows blow the struts in a matter of months, sometimes in just a weekend for track cars. but i do agree with everything else youve said

if your going to spend money on suspension, do use the extra few bucks you have in your account. do your research, find out what you need and whats good, and save up for them or youll regret it later

i have skunk2 springs and tokico blues and theyve been on the car for years and they are still in perfect shape btw

Comment

Originally posted by rum_n_coke View Post
                      dropzone full coilovers ftw

cheap and fully adjustable!
                      Ummm... no. Dropzone makes some of the most DANGEROUS garbage on the market.

I'd sooner take my chances with a ghetto hooker using an old sock as a condom.

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                        actually it specifically says in the warranty that if their is oil coated on the struts it voids the warranty. going to low will blow them. and if they had a lifetime warranty us neon guys wouldnt be in the market for them all the time cause we get them stock from the factory in the acr and we could just trade them in for new ones. guys who do a 2.5-3" drop on the neons with koni yellows blow the struts in a matter of months, sometimes in just a weekend for track cars. but i do agree with everything else youve said

if your going to spend money on suspension, do use the extra few bucks you have in your account. do your research, find out what you need and whats good, and save up for them or youll regret it later

i have skunk2 springs and tokico blues and theyve been on the car for years and they are still in perfect shape btw

Interesting... I didn't know that (mainly because I got my Konis used...) Of course, anyone who knows anything about suspension knows that slamming a car to the ground doesn't necessarily make it handle better. The Neuspeed Cup Kit is something I'd feel comfortable using with the assumption that things are properly matched.

I also didn't know the Neon ACR came with Koni Yellows from the factory.

Skunk2 springs and Tokico HP (blues) aren't properly matched. The shocks may hold up, but it's not a good combination. The Skunk2 spring rate and drop are too extreme for those near-stock replacements.

But you're absolutely right. It takes money and LOTS of research to do a suspension properly. It's not all about just 'slamming' your car. Especially with cars that have suspensions like ours. Lowering the car changes the suspension geometry considerably, and that must be taken into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Skunk2 springs and Tokico HP (blues) aren't properly matched. The shocks may hold up, but it's not a good combination. The Skunk2 spring rate and drop are too extreme for those near-stock replacements.
                          came with the car and ill never put it on a track so it works for me theyve held up for a while and its a smooth ride. im sure your right though, i havent looked into them for my car at all

Comment

just spend like 5 to 600 on a good full coilover you can adjust them for winter and they will ride really good there are these ones called type one for 630 its better safe than sorry

Comment

Originally posted by 93blackcb7 View Post
                              just spend like 5 to 600 on a good full coilover you can adjust them for winter and they will ride really good there are these ones called type one for 630 its better safe than sorry
                              $650 will get you nothing "good". Nowhere near. That's what you pay for garbage coilovers. Better safe than sorry is absolutely true, but don't go thinking $600 is going to get anything that's anywhere near "safe".

Comment

Working...
                              X