Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

balance shaft seal poped out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

balance shaft seal poped out!

was driving home from work when i smelled oil and the oil light started to flash i shut it down and popped the hood to find oil leaking from the timing cover. after pulling the upper cover half off i looked in to see the balance shaft seal hanging out at the end of the shaft by the belt.. now my ? is why?its simple enouth to fix but why would it come out.
    engine is a jdm f22a with less the 80k on it with an auto trans. any ideas or info on this would really help... thanks in advance

that is a comon problem on f22 i think on some blocks when they were made that hole was machined wrong, on those engines you can install a new seal with your fingers . honda sells a bracket that goes over the seal and is held on with one bolt.........

Comment

nice would anyone know thew part number of that bracket i just called my local honda dealer and they kinda seamed like they knew what i was looking for but didnt have this bracket in stock only the seal

Comment

I have replaced more than a few of these but can't remember the part number either. I will post it when I find it. Or someone else will post it soon I'm sure
        You CAN'T Fix Stupid!

Comment

06923-p0a-306

Comment

Originally posted by old honda tek View Post
            that is a comon problem on f22 i think on some blocks when they were made that hole was machined wrong, on those engines you can install a new seal with your fingers . honda sells a bracket that goes over the seal and is held on with one bolt.........
            you are the first person I have ever heard make this statement. Interesting...

How do you KNOW the engine has only 80k? Either way, t-belts are due for change every 70-90k. Replace all the seals, do it properly.
            ____

Comment

its called a retainer and the pn is posted. the new one should fit snugly in the block and the retainer gets bolted on top of the seal.
              <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                you are the first person I have ever heard make this statement. Interesting...

How do you KNOW the engine has only 80k? Either way, t-belts are due for change every 70-90k. Replace all the seals, do it properly.
                I have worked on honda& acura for over 16years and and probably changed over 50 seals on cars for popping out , and the onesthat pop out i was able to install the new seal with my fingers....

Comment

Originally posted by noobcake View Post
                  06923-p0a-306

Comment

This is where i bought mine.

http://www.suresealdrainplug.com/oringdrainplugs.html

They were efficient and will communicate with you via email if there are any issues.

I chose this over the Honda style ones as its

1) Its completely internal. Unlike the Honda seal which protrudes out. I think the Honda seal would cause your timing belt cover to not sit as flush as it should due to the seal achored outside.

I just don't like my timing cover to be uneven and the rubber seal it has not sealing all the dirt etc out.

2) held by 2 bolts (to me more even hold and stronger hold)

Note:

If you have recently changed your timing belt or dont want to remove your timing belt cover completely use the honda retainer. Its designed so they don't have to remove all the timing cover. The Honda retainer will slip into place after removing only a few bolts.

Hold it open using a socket while you fit the Honda seal in.

I only recommend the completely internal seal if you dont mind removing your lower timing belt cover completely or in the process of changing timing belts
                    Last edited by JDMDriver; 09-11-2010, 06:42 AM.
                    Rides:

Accord
                    92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                    96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                    88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                    92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                    95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                    92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                    91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                    91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                    91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                    91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Originally posted by old honda tek View Post
                      I have worked on honda& acura for over 16years and and probably changed over 50 seals on cars for popping out , and the onesthat pop out i was able to install the new seal with my fingers....
                      you know what I DO remember this! I heard about it RIGHT after I did my t-belt and seals and I was a little worried.

All of my oil seals required a bit of "love" to get them in so I never worried about going back and installing this. If I still have the cb then I most likely will install one with the next t-belt just to be safe.
                      ____

Comment

i bought one of those retainers, but i heard a trick with control arm bushings, and it might work with oil seals: put them in the freezer to shrink them a bit and it will expand when it returns to room temperature...

Be Clean

Comment

Originally posted by nostringz View Post
                          i bought one of those retainers, but i heard a trick with control arm bushings, and it might work with oil seals: put them in the freezer to shrink them a bit and it will expand when it returns to room temperature...
                          I suggest just using a socket and the old seal (turned the other way so the flat side is facing the new seal) method.

You place the new seal first, then the old seal (reversed) then the socket. Using the socket push the new seal into place. You can also use deep sockets to give extra length. You can either push by hand or levered with a screw driver or using the sprocket screw you can push in the new seal.

If you have Honda OEM seal they come pre-greased (in the inside lip), otherwise if its not Honda OEM and there is no grease put a dab of oil to assist in sliding it on and assist in breaking it in when the shaft spins.

I haven't used the freezer method but it does sound feasible. However I have doubts as these cars are subject to below freezing temperatures (eg Canada). If the seals do shrink enough to make a difference those cars should be leaking oil (if not blowing seals) in winter time. Just a thought.
                          Last edited by JDMDriver; 09-13-2010, 08:08 PM.
                          Rides:

Accord
                          92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                          96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
                          88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
                          92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
                          95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
                          92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
                          91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
                          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
                          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
                          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

the retainer is not used to install the seal , it is there to keep the seal from popping out .....

Comment

well thanks guys for all your help with that part number i got the retainer and had it installed in about an hour everything seams to be ok atleast for now...thanks again to all that posted

Comment

Working...
                              X