Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Ever see a timing belt do THIS?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever see a timing belt do THIS?!?!?!

OK.....so my car stopped running..sorta lost power kinda quickly and have been racking my brain trying to track down the issue being it wouldn't start back up. It would crank really slow but no start.....I decided to pull the valve cover off after buying a few other new parts (didn't think it would be a timing belt being I just paid a member of this site over 3k for a rebuild and install of this motor not even 900 miles ago). Anyways, took the cover off and found this....!!!!!!UPDATE ON PAGE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The part of the belt that frayed off was TIGHTLY wrapped around the cam gear that goes to the dizzy. As you can sorta see in the above pic. Looks like brown fuzzy stuff at the center of the gear. Looked at the cam gears and noticed THIS>>>>>>

As you can see the arrows dont line up anymore....I thought that maybe because the belt was wrapped so tight around that one gear that it slowed it down just a little for a second and made the belt slip a few teeth. Do you think this is why my car shut off and why it fails to start now? And if it only jumped a LIL bit do you think any damage was done to my brand new h22????
    Last edited by Sway; 10-11-2010, 01:47 AM.
    91 LX Under Construction. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post2017900

#1. looks like the timing jumped.
    #2. also looks like something has been rubbing against the belt, which could have caused it to jump timing.
    You need to pull the timing belt covers and inspect. Cross your fingers and pray you didn't bend any valves.
    Last edited by 4U2H8ME; 09-02-2010, 09:05 AM.

Comment

thats nasty looking man, maybe the guy who helped u rebuild the engine will help you, for free.
      **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
      Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
      Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

What brand was that belt? I've heard of certain brands (that I can't recall the names of) fraying and causing the timing to jump.

If you didn't notice any evidence of pistons hitting valves, no damage should be done. Do a compression test to be sure.

Comment

I don't see any pics...
          MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

First, do not crank your engine ANYMORE! if you do you run the chance of causing more damage, first before running a copression test you need to get the engine back in time. then run the compression test. obviously the compression test will not work out of time. honestly i would say this problem stems from something missed during your rebuild, this is def a issue you need to take up with the guy that built your engine. 3K is enough to have had it rebuild in a shop that would have garunteed the work, in the future steer clear of getting people to "rebuild" things that they cannot offer a warrenty on. this could have been caused simply by the belt not being tensioned properly. or could be as serious as oil clogage and failure to lubricate the journals, causing the cam to bind and the timing to jump. this will best be diagnosed if the head is taking apart and removed from the block, and all working parts properly inspected for defect.

edit- and i hope that since you were still in your break in piriod you didnt beat on the engine.
            Last edited by Slice One; 09-02-2010, 10:58 AM.

Comment

As stated above, do not crank the engine anymore before putting it back in time.

I suspect you have no valve damage but a compression test is in order to verify.

What I think happened is your belt slipped one tooth or maybe even two teeth at the camshaft, causing the timing to become severely retarded and causing you to lose lots of power on the low end, hence your symptoms.

Oh, now i see the pictures (dialup connection!)...intake cam pulley is off 3 teeth or so relative to the exhaust cam pulley...The cause of this is probably the intake pulley binding and the belt slipping teeth on that--although I can't see the fuzzy stuff wrapped around it like you say is there. I'm not sure how far they can go without the intake valves contacting the piston but you may still be ok--I've had one off by about that much once (on my SOHC engine, not a DOHC) and was no worse for the wear. YOu would lose power here because less air fuel mixture is getting into the combustion chamber due to a late opening intake valve train.

compression test and re-time. Also, check that your timing belt tensioner pulley/balance shaft pulley assembly is assembled correctly. Are they Honda parts or whose are they? It looks like the belt was running up against something on the inside, perhaps the mounting plate of the timing belt tensioner pulley. I seem to recall if you install one of those parts backwards when you replace the tensioner pulleys on their mounting pivot that a tensioner arm or plate can interfere with the inside of your belt once the assembly is tightened up. Looks like that's what happened here.

good luck.
              Last edited by batever; 09-02-2010, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Other issues that stem from this install are :
                When they first ran my car it ran like ASS!!! Backfiring and everything. He blamed it on bad gas, however after ME doing research I found he had 2 wires on Dizzy backwards. And this guy is a mechanic??? Also half of my vacuum lines are not connected, half the motor mounts and tranny mounts do not have nuts on the bolts, the car will not go into reverse, the vtec has never kicked (checked my codes and it threw a cel22), ecu has a burned up area on q27 and q30 (the p13 they installed with the swap), they scratched up my fender doing the install, ...hell, there is more, just dont want to bore you. My family is trying to get me to file a claim in small claims court which I think I am about to do. I think 3,200 was enough to give me a DONE h22....not this bullshit.
                91 LX Under Construction. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post2017900

Comment

3200 for all those problems? OUCH! I'd definatly file that claim asap.

Comment

wow. i'd file claim for damages against that guy and take you're car somewhere else or do it yourself.

the daily: 2001 VW golf 2.0 (tom01golf on local and vw forums)
                    the project: f22a1 400-450whp (build thread to come when things start picking up)

Comment

And you say he's a member here? I say call him out so no one else gets burned by this shady fool.

Comment

i have seen this before on a customers car he did the tbelt and droped one of the cover bolts down inside it wedged against the bottom gear and plastic cover and the edge of the head of the bolt cut a straight line through the top of the belt just like yours.........

Comment

I highly doubt it hurt your motor. Just make sure to get a better timing belt lol.

Slamage is worth the Damage

Originally posted by crazymikey
                          "Yes, we did officer. By the way, your eyes look a little glazed, did you just come from the donut shop?"

Comment

it's not the timing belts fault, looks like something was just wearing against the belt. just open everything up and inspect it. if the motor still ran then you didnt bend any valves.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

please say who this guy is so none of us get ripped by some of his work. sorry for the bad luck bro. get that claim going and go to a REAL mechanic or learn to do it yourself so you know its done right.

Comment

Working...
                              X