Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Air inlet ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
    1.5" diameter is really too small to get any significant amount of flow, especially with all those bends.
    2.5" / 3" would be a better option and use flexi hose rather than PVC with sharp bends.
    i wana have like a descrete kinda inlet....like its not gonna go around the filter, just kinda a direct flow to the filter...or would flex hose still work better???

Comment

Originally posted by ClowesClause View Post
      i wana have like a descrete kinda inlet....like its not gonna go around the filter, just kinda a direct flow to the filter...or would flex hose still work better???
      Flex hose will work better.
      If you want it discreet, paint it black.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Flex hose will work better.
        If you want it discreet, paint it black.
        i shall try that soon, thanks

Comment

i run a 2.5 inch cold air feed pipe under the air filter and direct it passed the indicator, passed the horn, and out in the front grill as above. horn bracket needs to be moved/bent slightly for the pipe not to be bent.

it is very effective, if you blow in it or stick a hair dryer at the front it comes out with force the other end. The rain cant travel upwards, so safe there, but i did put 2 screwdriver holes at the bottom area to let it drain if i hit a puddle or something.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
          UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
          NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Originally posted by marcusv8thunder View Post
            i run a 2.5 inch cold air feed pipe under the air filter and direct it passed the indicator, passed the horn, and out in the front grill as above. horn bracket needs to be moved/bent slightly for the pipe not to be bent.

it is very effective, if you blow in it or stick a hair dryer at the front it comes out with force the other end. The rain cant travel upwards, so safe there, but i did put 2 screwdriver holes at the bottom area to let it drain if i hit a puddle or something.

That is pretty much exactly what i want to do....could u post up some more pics or DIY cuz i would really like to see what u did

Comment

Ugh... not this again. There's another thread going about this topic right now, and everyone is fighting me on it... "lots of people do it, so it must be good!"

Before you modify your car, do this. Have a friend drive a car while you're in the passenger seat. Have him go about 90kph. When it is safe to do so, put your head out the window. Keep your mouth closed, and breathe.
              It will be difficult.
              Why? Because the air is rushing around your face, essentially creating a vacuum around your nostrils. Rather than ramming air into the holes in your face, you are fighting the rushing air to suck it in, changing its path. You are working HARDER to breathe in that rushing air.

Now, when you put a cleverly disguised hole in the front of your car, this same thing happens. The front end of your car is meant to be aerodynamic. It is meant to cut through the air. A hole in the front of your aerodynamic front end is going to be like your nostrils.The air is going to rush around this hole, making your engine work harder to suck it in. There's a reason why intakes are placed in areas where they can breathe ambient air.

The only way to ensure such a "ram air" effect is to modify your front end so the air doesn't rush around. Technically, that "interfooler" joke of an intake filter is a better idea!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Before you modify your car, do this. Have a friend drive a car while you're in the passenger seat. Have him go about 90kph. When it is safe to do so, put your head out the window. Keep your mouth closed, and breathe.
                It will be difficult.
                did this about 100mph. you can't breath at all.

the daily: 2001 VW golf 2.0 (tom01golf on local and vw forums)
                the project: f22a1 400-450whp (build thread to come when things start picking up)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  Ugh... not this again. There's another thread going about this topic right now, and everyone is fighting me on it... "lots of people do it, so it must be good!"

It will be difficult.
                  Why? Because the air is rushing around your face, essentially creating a vacuum around your nostrils. Rather than ramming air into the holes in your face, you are fighting the rushing air to suck it in, changing its path. You are working HARDER to breathe in that rushing air.

Now, when you put a cleverly disguised hole in the front of your car, this same thing happens. The front end of your car is meant to be aerodynamic. It is meant to cut through the air. A hole in the front of your aerodynamic front end is going to be like your nostrils.The air is going to rush around this hole, making your engine work harder to suck it in. There's a reason why intakes are placed in areas where they can breathe ambient air.

The only way to ensure such a "ram air" effect is to modify your front end so the air doesn't rush around. Technically, that "interfooler" joke of an intake filter is a better idea!
                  you are right that its hard to breathe at high speed, however if you have an end piece that is correctly tapered then the air that rushes in is directed up the pipe, even if 90% hits the front of the car and goes else where, some air has gone up the pipe and will be cooler also.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
                  UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
                  NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Originally posted by marcusv8thunder View Post
                    you are right that its hard to breathe at high speed, however if you have an end piece that is correctly tapered then the air that rushes in is directed up the pipe, even if 90% hits the front of the car and goes else where, some air has gone up the pipe and will be cooler also.
                    i totally agree and well its already done so we can stop bickering about and i still stand by my statement of if F1 teams spend BILLIONS of dollars of R&D on there cars id rather trust them....deev, the way u explain it there radiators wouldn't work....and ultimatley isnt it my decision on what i want to do.....if ppl always say that vented hoods dont do anything the y do they make them

Comment

i still stand by my statement of if F1 teams spend BILLIONS of dollars of R&D on there cars id rather trust them....
                      An F1 car and an almost 20 year old Honda Accord are very different things.

deev, the way u explain it there radiators wouldn't work....
                      That makes no sense at all, lol.
                      Last edited by Ander; 09-07-2010, 12:15 AM.

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
                      I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Originally posted by Ander View Post
                        That makes no sense at all, lol.
                        well if the car is designed to flow through the air then the air inlets have a "bubble" if u will and no air will go inside which im saying is not true....air like all things in thing in this world want to take the path of least resistance ie: not moving around too much. therefore air will want to travel in a relative strait line and if this line happens to go into a hole (my inlet), it will flow into it

Comment

well if the car is designed to flow through the air then the air inlets have a "bubble" if u will and no air will go inside which im saying is not true....
                          No one is saying no air will flow in, just less than if you were sucking in ambient air.

air like all things in thing in this world want to take the path of least resistance ie: not moving around too much. therefore air will want to travel in a relative strait line and if this line happens to go into a hole (my inlet), it will flow into it
                          Unfortunately it doesn't happen to go into your inlet =/

Edit: Oh and I believe a radiator functions the way it does because it has a large amount of surface area, silly.

Member's Ride Thread

I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Lol. I suppose I'll add my piece in here. There is a lot of misconceptions about how ramair actually works. People will say things like stock cars have it and f1 blahblah.

I'd like to point out that on EVERY stock ram air set up the inlet is on the TOP of the hood, where aerodynamics direct the airflow into the inlet. If you have ever seen a windtunnel and how air flows you would understand why. To fully understand what deev is trying to say might be difficult, but air in the front of the car will be very low pressure due to the basics of aerodynamics. It will be pulled upwards towards the hood then back as the high pressure air from there pulls the air in front towards it in sort of a vacuum. A vacuum AWAY from your inlet.

That said, if you know these basics you can use them to your advantage successfully. I don't think there is anything wrong with your basic concept and desire, just certain physical laws are against it.

Hell, fabricating a front valance to direct high pressure air to an inlet would not be a bad idea.

:edit:
                            Also, the path of least resistance in this case would be up, away from your inlet, and over the hood. Going straight would be too turbulent.
                            Last edited by darkfusion42; 10-04-2010, 10:13 PM.

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
                            Traded with: Cb7xChun
                            Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
                            Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
                            My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

Like that?
                              Or do you mean ducting from below the indicator to the airfilter?

Where do i locate one of these bad boys?Like the idea very much and the look aswell.Ive had all kinds of intakes and the one i liked the most was the AEM V2 but id like to try one of these.
                              Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 10-04-2010, 11:15 PM.

02 Crv
                              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

eBay, lol.
                                Although I can't help but advise you to spend your money on something else.

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X