Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

catalytic converter..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

catalytic converter..

is there any gain in hp if you remove the catalytic converter??

i was just wondering because my uncle is a bitch and he was argueing with me that a car without the catalytic converter is faster then a boosted stock car.. if that makes any sense

It won't give you noticeable gains. However , out factory cats are mildly restrictive , so taking it out will give better engine response and ,ehhh some power you don't even notice.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Get a high flow cat. You'll stay emissions legal, gain a little HP, and best of all, you won't be choking mother nature.

Comment

But definitely not faster than a boosted stock car. Lol

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
        Traded with: Cb7xChun
        Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
        Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
        My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

yea man taking it out will help on hp gains. not much , every little bit helps .809king did you ever score on a muffler ?

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

Back in 03/04 a magazine did a test with a ~450 hp Supra(those were huge numbers back in those days). They had two identical DP's one with a cat, one without. The Supra gained a whopping 10 hp from the catless DP. That is a 2% gain. Our F's have what 120 or so in well maintained, non rebuilt, 20 yr old form? Is it really worth that extra 2.4 hp?
            Call me Travis.
            2006 Cobalt LS/SC ~ "Burt the Bloody Bumble Bee"
            1992 Accord LX ~ "Smoothie"
            1991 CRX Si ~ Hellion
            1989 GMC S15 ~ Oldie

Comment

I think we might be talking about 1hp here, possibly 3 at the most. Not worth polluting the environment over....

My swap thread
              Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

1/10 of a HP

Seriously though...you would get more by vacuuming your car, or only filling your gas tank 1/2 instead of full...or by cleaning out the trunk...or by changing your oil...or changing your air filter...etc etc...or by going on a diet.

Will it gain...sure...but that is only said because scientifically it does...is it significant? No.

"not notice" that means it is such an insignificant amount that the gain is not worth the time it takes to remove the cat...or think about doing so. More importantly, it is not worth the money you spend replacing the piping. That money is better spent on intake mods.

and none of those would harm the air my lungs ingest.
                Last edited by bcjammerx; 09-27-2010, 01:12 AM.
                ____

Comment

Everybody is looking at this question wrong. Look at it like the K&N Air Filters or SplitFire spark plugs people do.

Removing a clogged catalytic converter can give up to a 100% horsepower increase !!!!!

Just to clarify...hi-flow cats do not "flow" any better because of any internal design superiority. They flow better because the inlet and outlet pipes are larger to better match the plumbing of high performance header and cat-back systems. So, you would have a difficult time installing a hi-flow cat into an otherwise stock system.
                  Last edited by dano28; 09-27-2010, 09:30 AM.

Comment

High flow cats don't really offer much of a gain. No cat at all offers very little... maybe 1hp, as said above. The tradeoff is a terrible exhaust tone, an awful smell, and lots of toxic fumes being released into the air. People that run around without a catalytic converter are the people that are responsible for the ever-increasing emissions legislation that is making it harder and harder to pursue our hobby.

If the cat is clogged, yes, there will be a gain... but you'd be stupid to remove it.

Now, I assume your uncle is an oldschool car guy, right? A catalytic converter installed on a mid-70s or early-80s V8 that was producing 160hp... yeah, those are choked by pretty restrictive emissions components. Our cars are quite different.

Comment

a stock cb7 is probably faster than my "boosted" Volkswagon is that makes you happy.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
                        Back in 03/04 a magazine did a test with a ~450 hp Supra(those were huge numbers back in those days). They had two identical DP's one with a cat, one without. The Supra gained a whopping 10 hp from the catless DP. That is a 2% gain. Our F's have what 120 or so in well maintained, non rebuilt, 20 yr old form? Is it really worth that extra 2.4 hp?
                        yes.
                        when you got other multiple things that equal 2-3 hp
                        little things add up and especially with a NA
                        when you delete unnecessary components such as AC, EGR, PS, balance shaft......
                        although just doing ONE of these alone will not gain noticable difference, drive your car then delete them all at once and see the difference if that makes sense
                        -Tyler

Comment

jjust gut it. thats what i did and i passed inspection

Comment

Originally posted by tm123 View Post
                            yes.
                            although just doing ONE of these alone will not gain noticable difference, drive your car then delete them all at once and see the difference if that makes sense
                            thats one thing i love about NA is that the correct combination can make or break an engine setup.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by tm123 View Post
                              yes.
                              You are comparing a TURBO SUPRA...to an n/a engine? one making over 450hp...and the other making barely 120? You will NOT gain 2hp...I would like to see the data on their setups, they make cats for boost that do not restrict flow...maybe we should use updated data?

...we are only going to say this 5 times...gutting/removing a healthy converter will not yield sufficient hp, no where near enough to be worth it in any way shape or form.

I get what you are trying to say about modifications adding up but this is not one of "those" mods. "those" mods do not gain only 1 hp (which is a generous est. imo for a gutted cat) but 5-10 at least. Why? Because 1hp is gained or lost with the wind blowing, the oil being old, the car not being warmed up/cold, it is nothing.

DO the OTHER mods...which are dyno proven to work...and then think of this...1hp

...if I tried to sell you a product guaranteed to give you a 1hp gain, I could never prove it. Would you buy it? I would hope not. And...your car does not make xxx hp each time you punch it...it actually varies each time...by more than 1hp too. This mod is not just a waste of time/effort...it is just plain not worth it period.

I have gutted my cat...when I knew NOTHING about cars that is. Then I learned. I know folks look for cheap "tricks" to gain some power, but this is not one of them...it is along the same lines as removing the vacuum line on the FPR and thinking it will give you extra powa.

Allow me to be Frank...
                              Frank is a mean sumbitch that has no tact

"No one respect folks that gut/remove their cat expecting "performance" gains on modern cars...it is a pointless thing to do."

Ok...easy Frank...keep it cool man
                              Last edited by bcjammerx; 09-28-2010, 07:00 AM.
                              ____

Comment

Working...
                              X