Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1990 Honda Accord Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Honda Accord Issue

Hey guys, sorry if this doesn't make any sense for I am new to this site. So today my 1990 honda accord just started to have problems. At first when started and on neutral, the car doesn't seem to idle correctly? To describe what's happening is that the car shakes and the engine doesn't sound too good? And then after driving the car for a couple minutes, I noticed that the check engine light turned on, then soon after the battery light came on with the oil light. Then that was when the car started losing acceleration and I was unable to brake. Then the two lights but the check engine light would go on and off. Then after a while the whole car just turned off on it's own. However all the electrical things on the car still works. Like the car still can turn on but once it's put into gear the car eventually dies about less than a minute later. Does anyone know what may be the problem? The car has manual transmission too by the way.

Thanks.

You might have a faulty ecu, that sounds like a complicated problem. I would recomend running through the normal troubleshooting methods.

Comment

Originally posted by esanchez View Post
      Hey guys, sorry if this doesn't make any sense for I am new to this site. So today my 1990 honda accord just started to have problems. At first when started and on neutral, the car doesn't seem to idle correctly? To describe what's happening is that the car shakes and the engine doesn't sound too good? And then after driving the car for a couple minutes, I noticed that the check engine light turned on, then soon after the battery light came on with the oil light. Then that was when the car started losing acceleration and I was unable to brake. Then the two lights but the check engine light would go on and off. Then after a while the whole car just turned off on it's own. However all the electrical things on the car still works. Like the car still can turn on but once it's put into gear the car eventually dies about less than a minute later. Does anyone know what may be the problem? The car has manual transmission too by the way.

Thanks.
      Is there oil in the engine?

Comment

If the check engine light is on, then your ECU is giving you an error code. Read the "sticky" thread at the top of this section for instructions on how to pull the codes, and how to read them.

From the sounds of it, you have an electrical issue. The first thing I would check would be all of your ground and battery connections. Make sure all are clean and tight. I had issues similar to yours (but not as severe) when my fender ground snapped.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
          Is there oil in the engine?
          I think if there's no oil, it may die the way it did... but I don't imagine it would start again!

Although that's certainly a valid question... and if that's the case, I'd look into getting a new engine!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            From the sounds of it, you have an electrical issue. The first thing I would check would be all of your ground and battery connections. Make sure all are clean and tight. I had issues similar to yours (but not as severe) when my fender ground snapped.
            Would that cause the battery and oil lights to come on? I could imagine for the battery and check engine, but the oil light and lose of brakes?

I hope this guy actually comes back and posts, it seems like alot of people just post once and don't come back after.

Comment

The loss of brakes probably came when the engine stalled, as there was no vacuum assist. The oil light as well.

I hope he comes back too. Not only does he truly need help, but I'm curious to see what's wrong! It could be something as simple as a broken ground wire, or something far more complicated.

Comment

That's what I thought at first to, but he didn't specifically say the engine stalled.

This foo better come back..... lol

Comment

Thanks guys. And yes there is oil in the engine. So what basically happens is that the car runs but after a while when I let go of the gas or go to neutral, I will lose all power to where the engine isn't on anymore. Then if the cars still rolling it will sometimes catch and run again.

I had a buddy look at it and he thinks one of my cylinders is blown? I'm not sure though, but he did say that he noticed that theres some kind of leak. And he believes the leaks where the cylinder is.

Comment

That’s a possibility, do you have access to a compression tester? You can rent them from a auto parts store for pretty cheap. I don't know how great you are with car engines, but if you need more help with that I'd be glad to give it to you. You could also cheak your ecu codes, thats another good start. But I wouldn't drive the car until you get the problem fixed.
                    Last edited by Cblove; 08-20-2010, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by esanchez View Post

I had a buddy look at it and he thinks one of my cylinders is blown? I'm not sure though, but he did say that he noticed that theres some kind of leak. And he believes the leaks where the cylinder is.
                      you can actually pull the spark plug wires out and using a flash light you can check if theres oil going thru causing your spark plug to get wet with oil that can cause you a misfire and posibly having a bad cylinder as well...

Comment

Are you blowing smoke at all? If you have a bad cylinder, you'll be burning either oil or coolant.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Are you blowing smoke at all? If you have a bad cylinder, you'll be burning either oil or coolant.
                          As far as I know and noticed, I'm not blowing smoke at all. It looks normal just sounds like the engine is having trouble staying on.

Comment

I'd start with pulling codes if you're getting a cel.

short

Comment

Ok, so I was going to pull codes, but then when I turned on my car to see if the check engine light is still on. The light was not on. Is this normal for the Check Engine light to go on after driving it but then it does not stay on?

Comment

Working...
                              X