Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

strange oil leak problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strange oil leak problem

My car only leaks oil when its parked up hill. I looked at the drain plug and the oil pan gasket and both are dry. It looks like its coming from around the timing belt cover at the head level on the back side. I was thinking oil pump but I dont think its that high up and like I said it only leaks when I park up hill. I just replaced the valve cover gasket too and it still does it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    -Wayne-

310whp - 296tq

Besides pulling the timing belt cover and having a look inside, i have no ideas.

Comment

mine did the same thing, is it draining out on ur downpipe? not sure if this is the problem but mine was an easy fix. check all the bolts around your oil pan. when this happened to me ever time i went up a hill/parked the oil sloshed out, i tightened them up and have never had it happen since then. also could be cam seals?

Comment

Originally posted by h22dude View Post
        mine did the same thing, is it draining out on ur downpipe? not sure if this is the problem but mine was an easy fix. check all the bolts around your oil pan. when this happened to me ever time i went up a hill/parked the oil sloshed out, i tightened them up and have never had it happen since then. also could be cam seals?
        I would agree with h22dude and try tightening all your bolts and check all visible seals before tearing into it. i had this problem with 2 different motors. My f22 was leaking cuz the person that had it before me never tightened the valve cover down all the way. the other time was the cam seal to my h23

Comment

Originally posted by Rome702 View Post
          I would agree with h22dude and try tightening all your bolts and check all visible seals before tearing into it. i had this problem with 2 different motors. My f22 was leaking cuz the person that had it before me never tightened the valve cover down all the way. the other time was the cam seal to my h23
          I have had the leak since I bought it, and a few weeks ago I did the valve cover gasket. I didnt see any evidence of oil leaking from the cam seal but I wasnt exactly looking for it either. That seems to be a very possible source of the leak because its running from the the top of the motor to the bottom on the drivers side. I can see the oil trail its leaving. I guess I will retorque the valve cover just in case and maybe open the top timing belt cover for a better inspection.

~I think I will hit it with some brake cleaner and see if I can find the source that way.
          -Wayne-

310whp - 296tq

Comment

If you've already found it then good! but if not maybe try the balance cam shaft seal, its right under the cam shaft. you have to take off the belt cover though.

Comment

Sounds like it might also be a front main seal or oil pump gasket. Thats whats wrong with mine And im having the same problem

Comment

Originally posted by 93accordlx93 View Post
                Sounds like it might also be a front main seal or oil pump gasket. Thats whats wrong with mine And im having the same problem
                It's possible his front main seal is also leaking but that leak would not cause oil to leak from head-level from behind the camgear cover. It's most likely your cam seal, it's possibly the head gasket but unlikely.
                My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

[QUOTE=boostedlude3g;2601881 I guess I will retorque the valve cover just in case and maybe open the top timing belt cover for a better inspection.
                  .[/QUOTE]

unless you are using a torque wrench and setting those valve cover nuts to spec, I do not advise guesstimating the torque on those nuts. You could end up snapping a stud and that would be somewhat of a pain, all because you were hoping you were going to stop an oil leak.

Comment

Same leak I had on my EX - cam seal or between the end cam hold down and head. With the car parked uphill, the oil level in the cam wells make be high enough to get to the interface between the head and the cam hold down. If you've also got oil in your spark plugs holes, you can kill two leaks at once. With the tension released from the timing belt, I put a zip tie around the belt and cam pulley to keep it from shifting, then removed the rocker assembly and pulley to change the cam seal and lower seals. After reinstalling the cam and rockers, I was able to slip the cam pulley back on without affecting the cam timing.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                    X