Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Shock questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shock questions..

I have megan racing sleeves, I was going to get koni yellows but the member on here already sold them, and they retail for quite high.

I was thinking of the following shocks, let me know what you guys think and any suggestions.

KYB GR2 Shocks
    Skunk2 Shocks
    Dropzone Shocks
    TOKICO Shocks
    Koni STR Shocks ( a bit pricey, rather buy the ones above, but if all else fails )

Let me know out of them which would ride better or atleast smoothen out my ride and more trustworthy.

Im really keeping my eye on the KYB's.

I would choose Koni over the others. Plus they're probably the same price if not cheaper than the rest of them (maybe not Dropzone but I wouldn't recommend them anyways).
    http://www.neuspeed.com/products/pro...type=ns_import

Comment

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
      I would choose Koni over the others. Plus they're probably the same price if not cheaper than the rest of them (maybe not Dropzone but I wouldn't recommend them anyways).
      http://www.neuspeed.com/products/pro...type=ns_import
      KYB is a good brand.

Koni I know for sure outperforms them, but I just want something where I can tune the stiffness here and there and as long as it supports my drop with bearable ride quality. I get get the KYB for $207 shipped.

The Koni Shock Sports are $250 shipped from neuspeed.com

I'd get the Koni reds, but they seem a bit cheap?

Hmm..................
      Last edited by Vex; 07-28-2010, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Well out of ur 5 choices there none of them are adjustable (if thats what u meant by tuning stiffness) maybe Tokico but u didn't specify the Blues or Illuminas. For the price and performance I would still go with the Koni reds.

Comment

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
          Well out of ur 5 choices there none of them are adjustable (if thats what u meant by tuning stiffness) maybe Tokico but u didn't specify the Blues or Illuminas. For the price and performance I would still go with the Koni reds.
          Hmm really? Koni reds are cheap, do they really outperform all my top choices? They only have koni red rears on the site?
          Last edited by Vex; 07-28-2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vex View Post
            Hmm really? Koni reds are cheap, do they really outperform all my top choices?
            Well I wouldn't call them "cheap" maybe "inexpensive" would be a better choice of wording. Cheap kinda makes it seem like they suck, which they don't. But regardless out of them choices they all are about $200 to $300, so basically they are all pretty much around the same price range. I haven't had experience with all of them but I've had Dropzone and 3 of them blew a month after I bought them. I have GR2's on my car right now and I have no complaints so far, and I have them with sleeves with a pretty low drop and they are holding up alright. Tokico is popular and Skunks never really have a good selection of shit for CB's. But Koni just makes good struts all the way around. Plus they gotta lifetime warranty (I'm sure some of the other do too tho). I've never heard of anybody complaining about their Konis. And let me clarify I meant the STR.T Konis, sorry bout that. For the price those are the ones I would go with, the STR.T Koni struts.

Comment

I have Koni yellows (part of the super cups) and they're great.

Comment

They're all within the same price range. If you really want the Koni's, might as well put out a few extra dollars to get them. I hear Tokico Blues are pretty good though.

Comment

I have megan racing sleeves

KYB GR2 Shocks - NOT recommended
                  Skunk2 Shocks - OK
                  Dropzone Shocks - Total Garbage
                  TOKICO HP - NOT recommended
                  Koni STR Shocks - Good
                  Koni Yellow - Hell Yeah
                  KYB AGX - Good
                  Tokico Illumina - Good

There you go.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                  1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                  2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                  2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                  2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                  2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by ExplodingCake View Post
                    There you go.
                    Not really what I was looking for, if you have no experience with the shocks please dont say good or bad. Please be more specific.

Comment

KYB is a good brand.

Koni I know for sure outperforms them, but I just want something where I can tune the stiffness here and there and as long as it supports my drop with bearable ride quality. I get get the KYB for $207 shipped.

The Koni Shock Sports are $250 shipped from neuspeed.com

I'd get the Koni reds, but they seem a bit cheap?

Hmm..................
                      KYB GR2s are stock replacement. You can't tune anything. They aren't good for performance applications, and aren't made to handle a drop, or a spring rate greater than 15% over stock. KYB AGXs are essentially adjustable versions of this. Also not made for a set of performance springs. Lower than 1.5" (which is nearly imperceptible) will void the warranty... and they aren't cheap.

Koni STR-T are not the Koni Sports. STR-T are non-adjustable, and the $250 price is on par with GR2 pricing... for a MUCH more capable unit.
                      Koni Reds are adjustable, but to do so, you have to remove them from the car. It's a pain in the ass to do this constantly while fine-tuning your suspension. If you want adjustables, shell out the cash for Yellows (Sports). If you just want something that won't make your car dangerous when lowered, go for the STR.T. Reds really shouldn't be considered... they're an idiotic design for cars with suspension like ours (on cars where the shocks can merely be unbolted, they make sense... but for us, you have to take everything apart.)
                      Koni Yellows (Sports) are hands-down the best off-the-shelf adjustable shock you can buy for our cars. And yes, I have them on my own car.

The others mentioned are garbage. Skunk2 shocks blow even with Skunk2 springs... that company knows nothing about Accords. I wouldn't buy anything for them unless it's going on an H22 engine.

Dropzone makes crap. I bought Dropzone suspension products many years ago, when I was stupid and knew nothing... and they nearly killed me. Literally. Broke on the highway at 65mph, normal driving.

Tokico is ok, but inferior to Koni in every way. The price is comparable. The HP is nearly identical to the KYB GR2, only with less favorable reports. The Illumina falls somewhere between the Koni Yellows and KYB AGX... but the price doesn't justify getting them over Konis.

The Koni STR.T is the ONLY shock on the market in that price range that can safely handle performance springs.

Comment

question for you.....How low are you?

I say this because most of these shocks are designed to operate at stock height, and anything past say 1.5 your going to run into issues. There stroke being shortened will not be able to compensate with the great demad put on them.

kyb gr2 and tokico blues should not even be considered if your running stiff (higher spring rates) springs and lowered more than 1.5 or either of the 2. As an example I had eibach springs and tokico struts and the struts couldnt really do well with that mild drop and semi-soft progressive spring.

I have no experiance with either the kyb agx adjustable or the tokico adjustable so I cant comment.

Koni on the other hand I have some experiance with. Now while the reds are a pain to adjust they are very capable. Again depending on the drop. You set the reds at the stiffest rebound rate and they do half decent with coileover sleeves and hard springs.

koni yellows are more designed to take a littlemore abuse with stiffer springs and would be the best choice if your rying to do more than 1.5 drop and have some stiffer springs.

Comment

I've had KYB AGX on H&R Sport springs, and now Koni Yellows on H&R Race springs. The difference is night and day!

The Reds are internally identical to the Yellows... just not externally adjustable. The STR.T is reportedly the same valving as the Yellows on the softest setting (which is ideal for daily driving, but not very performance oriented.) They will withstand just about any spring you throw at them, though.

The only other consideration for lowering (other than something fancy, like custom valved Bilsteins) would be the Tokico Illumina... they're made for a drop... but they pale in comparison to the Koni Yellows, and they cost about as much. I honestly wouldn't touch Tokico with a stick... that's my own personal preference, though.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            I've had KYB AGX on H&R Sport springs, and now Koni Yellows on H&R Race springs. The difference is night and day!

The Reds are internally identical to the Yellows... just not externally adjustable. The STR.T is reportedly the same valving as the Yellows on the softest setting (which is ideal for daily driving, but not very performance oriented.) They will withstand just about any spring you throw at them, though.

The only other consideration for lowering (other than something fancy, like custom valved Bilsteins) would be the Tokico Illumina... they're made for a drop... but they pale in comparison to the Koni Yellows, and they cost about as much. I honestly wouldn't touch Tokico with a stick... that's my own personal preference, though.
                            Thank you deev, I actually took the time to read some informational information.

I will go with Koni STR,

BECAUSE, I dont do any performance related driving , my car is for show. first off, its an automatic. only cars ill be racing is geo's. As long as it handles my drop, im fine with it. Thanks to those that actually took the time to write something worth reading.

Comment

I dont have any experiance with the STR.T. Are they adjustable at all?

Like you I never bought the kyb agx or tokico adjustabl cause the konis are about the same price and are a better product.

Comment

Working...
                              X