Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

failing engine, my first cb7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

failing engine, my first cb7

sorry guys its long i have alot of problems but i wanna take care of the now that i can possibly get another car while i fix this one
    history: 93 accord
    (Felpro) head gasket 4/2010 with new head bolts from honda
    intake gaskets and throttle body gaskets replaced car was still overheating after head job and idling erratically, mechanic was not sure of problem so sent to an electrician who ran the fans straight so they only turn off when the car is completely off (really didnt have much money nad needed car to get to and from work), thermal sensor in head replaced 4/2010. fuel filter 3/2010 air filter, new spark plugs(NGK), new plug wires (duralast) not sure if they connect all the way in the plug well should i return them? new o2 sensor7/2010 the misfire issue i was having 6/2010 cleared up after the plugs and wires but returned next day i checked the dizzy its good (11/2009 bought rebuilt one) the dizzy plug is kinda messed up but still connected all the way. so far its been four days since the new plugs have been in and they are completely black and a little greasy.

the important stuff
    from reading here i already know that my o2 sensor, and iacv works just fine, i set the base idle but engine does not idle steady until about 15min afer startup and it shuts off if you dont rev the engine alot in the first 10min of starting, so it idles kinda steady at 600-700 RPM after 15minutes of hard driving or revving til it warms up to normal temperature. the egr valve was cleaned 7/7/10 and egr gasket replaced but engine does not shut off when egr vac hose is kinked, should it? should gas be coming out of the BOTTOM part of the FPR? if there is really something wrong with my dizzy plug that i didn't see yet can it cause a misfire? there is a small oil leak from the timing belt side of the eng (new time belt 4/2010) do you guys think it is the felpro gasket or did that mechanic not do a good job? there is not alot of power like it should be during drive it knocks real hard, i know i have alot of work to do like eng mounts (all four), full suspension

throttle body cleaned thoroughly 7/3/10 fans and a/c did not work after this tested the relays by switching out the power window relay, then tested the fans by making manual connections with a wire on the fuse box with the relay taken off the fans work one at a time, ac powers on with this test too but ac light does not come on. i don't know how to test the blower motor fuse it looks funny kinda green in the connector, the radio speakers go in and out sometimes when i open the driver side door.

Guys: I am really here cause i like this car but i dont want to work on it for the next year and then it dies am thinking bout selling it real cheap though i already put like 1500 into it over the past year, cant spend alot in it right now maybe $300 should i call it quits? am tired of loosing money to the mechanics, is it possible to do most of this myself ?

damn dude i wanted to help but thats alot of reading. lets make it simple. what codes are you throwing? if you dont know you can check them yourself. look for the 2p connector thread. Dont give up! its NOT a ford. LOL

Comment

wow, thats quite the load man!
      im looking to fixing the leak near the timing belt also! anyone know what the culprit is?
      ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

there are 3 oil seals in the timing belt path cam seal, crank seal, and balance shaft seal, Honda did have issues with the balance shaft seal coming out and made a retainer to hold it in so if your car has never had a belt job it may not have the retainer. So that could be your issue, but if you replace any one of those seals you may as well replace them all, along with the belts and tensioners, its not a fun job but the result is rewarding

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187851
        sold to: cb7rush\h22-accord\Luis\BurtonRiderT6
        bought from:jokerxfn-tommi-'93cb7ex

Comment

Originally posted by raCerwanaBe7 View Post
          sorry guys its long i have alot of problems but i wanna take care of the now that i can possibly get another car while i fix this one
          history: 93 accord
          (Felpro) head gasket 4/2010 with new head bolts from honda
          intake gaskets and throttle body gaskets replaced car was still overheating after head job and idling erratically, mechanic was not sure of problem so sent to an electrician who ran the fans straight so they only turn off when the car is completely off (really didnt have much money nad needed car to get to and from work), thermal sensor in head replaced 4/2010. fuel filter 3/2010 air filter, new spark plugs(NGK), new plug wires (duralast) not sure if they connect all the way in the plug well should i return them? new o2 sensor7/2010 the misfire issue i was having 6/2010 cleared up after the plugs and wires but returned next day i checked the dizzy its good (11/2009 bought rebuilt one) the dizzy plug is kinda messed up but still connected all the way. so far its been four days since the new plugs have been in and they are completely black and a little greasy.

the important stuff
          from reading here i already know that my o2 sensor, and iacv works just fine, i set the base idle but engine does not idle steady until about 15min afer startup and it shuts off if you dont rev the engine alot in the first 10min of starting, so it idles kinda steady at 600-700 RPM after 15minutes of hard driving or revving til it warms up to normal temperature. the egr valve was cleaned 7/7/10 and egr gasket replaced but engine does not shut off when egr vac hose is kinked, should it? should gas be coming out of the BOTTOM part of the FPR? if there is really something wrong with my dizzy plug that i didn't see yet can it cause a misfire? there is a small oil leak from the timing belt side of the eng (new time belt 4/2010) do you guys think it is the felpro gasket or did that mechanic not do a good job? there is not alot of power like it should be during drive it knocks real hard, i know i have alot of work to do like eng mounts (all four), full suspension

throttle body cleaned thoroughly 7/3/10 fans and a/c did not work after this tested the relays by switching out the power window relay, then tested the fans by making manual connections with a wire on the fuse box with the relay taken off the fans work one at a time, ac powers on with this test too but ac light does not come on. i don't know how to test the blower motor fuse it looks funny kinda green in the connector, the radio speakers go in and out sometimes when i open the driver side door.

Guys: I am really here cause i like this car but i dont want to work on it for the next year and then it dies am thinking bout selling it real cheap though i already put like 1500 into it over the past year, cant spend alot in it right now maybe $300 should i call it quits? am tired of loosing money to the mechanics, is it possible to do most of this myself ?
          i hate to sound like a half empty guy but if its knocking and haveing all these other issues, id say get something to drive daily and park the cb until shes straight

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187851
          sold to: cb7rush\h22-accord\Luis\BurtonRiderT6
          bought from:jokerxfn-tommi-'93cb7ex

Comment

Originally posted by 904drACCORDMANG View Post
            there are 3 oil seals in the timing belt path cam seal, crank seal, and balance shaft seal, Honda did have issues with the balance shaft seal coming out and made a retainer to hold it in so if your car has never had a belt job it may not have the retainer. So that could be your issue, but if you replace any one of those seals you may as well replace them all, along with the belts and tensioners, its not a fun job but the result is rewarding
            oh sweet! thanks. Ive been tracking down all my leaks, first the dizzy o ring and oil cooler, and now this!
            Guess ill just do it all at once when im getting the timing belt done

And to the OP, goodluck man!
            ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Comment

man promblems like that are really complicated plus take time and money to do...for me my tires were rotated the wrong screwing all my 4 tires which made the tire bend so it was undrivable for a couple of weeks till i bought new rims with new tread....so yea if i were you...sell it for parts since it way better pay....get a new decent cb7 if you thinking of getting another one.....i bought my for 2600...no promblems at all except the tires....!!!
              VS

Mercyboy: I rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

MERCYBOY THREAD:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158241
              1990 RHD Honda accord si CB3 Canada http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196287
              MY CB7 ON YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJID_IxwiNY

Comment

First things first - Check the timing yourself.

The fact that the plugs are black and greasy says that either its running rich or burning oil - Does it smoke at all?
                That could be part of the reason for a misfire.

Have you tested the Fan thermoswitch to see if that is why the fans aren't turning on, And did you bleed the cooling system?
                (The 2pin Thermo sensor in the head is for the ECU, and the single pin sensor is for the dash gauge. The one that controls the fan is on the thermostat housing)
                If you bridge the thermoswitch on the thermostat the fans should run (if you remove the wiring the electrician put in) - If they run the thermoswitch is bad, if they don't then there is a wiring issue or blown fuse/relay.

Also check your Fitv (fast idle valve) for the cold start issue.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

the car does not smoke unless it is revved past 4000rpm. oil comsuption and gas consumption are high though. i will try to check the fans like you say today and let you know the result

Comment

Wow... oh wow... it sounds like that motor needs a full rebuild. If your mechanically inclined and got a good head on your shoulders, and the proper tools & patience, you should be able to get things taken cared of. At this point, if the shell/interior is in too good of shape to junk, and everything but the engine of the car is working fine, then I would suggest that you go junkyard crawling and see if you can find a good motor and swap that in yourself. That is what I suggest. Good Luck with whatever route you go! Welcome to cb7tuner.com btw
                    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Working...
                    X