Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Ignition Switch Replacement DIY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Switch Replacement DIY?

Anyone know how to replace the ignition switch?? I was thinking I could go borrow a few from the junkyard cause mine is no longer working.(got a wire that goes into the coil). Someone said that if you replace the ignition switch you have to use a new key too.. Is that true?

If you are changing the switch, then you can keep the same key. If you changing out the lock cylinder, then you will also use a different key, unless you get a locksmith to re-key the new cylinder.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
    JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
      If you are changing the switch, then you can keep the same key. If you changing out the lock cylinder, then you will also use a different key, unless you get a locksmith to re-key the new cylinder.
      he is right about this. there are 2 parts to the ignition. while sitting in the drivers seat with the steering column removed the right side where you put your key is the locky cylinder and the other side is the ignition switch. it has a white end round kind of plug maybe 1 1/2 inches deep and a long plug on the end. it just plugs into the driver side kick panel fuse box i believe. i removed that cover under the steering column when i did mine and ran it through there since i have no steering column cover on my car.

the ignition switch in 100% inside the car. if you are working under the hood you are working on the ignition coil or ignitor. both those are components of the distributor. the coil i think has no wires attached to it. just sits in there and has 2 screws that go through it. the ignitor (small silver thing should fit in the palm of your hand) has 3 or 4 wire plugs on it.

changing the ignition switch is literally a 3 minute job after you get the steering column off(idk how long this takes b/c my car was missing it when i got it)

changing the ignitor might take you 15 minutes if you never taken the distributor apart before. also dont forget to use the grease that comes with teh part if you change this out.
      Last edited by AaronRVegas; 07-05-2010, 01:28 PM.
      Parts For Sale
      BIG Thanks to HondaFan81 for all your help!!

Comment

Working...
      X