Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Air Intake Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Intake Questions

So I've been looking online/talking to mechanically inclined people I know about this and want to know what the consensus is here (or the varied opinions)

The stock airbox '90 EX-R (A4).. is it better to just change its filter (to a Apexi/K&N/what have you) or go with a cone filter? If the cone filter is the case would it be better to fit it to the original rubber piping or to put in a new metallic pipe?

Everything in this vehicle is OEM and I don't really plan to slap a huge turbo on or anything, just looking for some hp gains without too much hassle.

filterwise..
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=56646

Comment

go cone... you could buy a SRI but you could just put the filter on the end of your rubber tube and remove the air box... your not gonna "notice" gains from this but it does help some what

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

Originally posted by casterX View Post
        I just wonder if that's even useful now.. It says it was exerted from a magazine in 1999.. shouldn't the filter technology used changed a lot by now?

The air box has piping all down the side of engine bay, wouldn't that mean it would be more of a "cold" air intake than a cone that would be breathing alot closer to the engine? (Basically I'm wondering why the cone would be better lol)

Comment

its simly about the way its designed as you mentioned the airbox has pipeing goin down that side of the car... that can stay... just take the actuall box and put the cone in its place this allows the air to flow up from that pipe the airbox was origanlly sucking from as well as the the rest of the air flowing in and out of the engine bay

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

allright makes sense.. would you happen to know the size of the stock piping?

basically i'm wondering if I should get this

does cone size matter as long as a proper adapter is in place or does it benefit the engine more to have the proper (?) size?

Comment

Filter technology hasn't improved. Filter size does not matter.

Use a SRI/cone if you like the extra noise from the engine. Hold onto whatever you take out, in any case.

Don't spend a lot.

Comment

i would recommend just an sri with like a spectre or k&n cone filter. the k&n cone filter is a little more expensive than a spectre one but its a lot better. you could actually buy a whole sri system from k&n. it all depends on how much you're willing to spend. if you go cheap you'll get what you paid for.
                Frost White CB9: EX F22A6 Stock 5spd - Click Here

Comment

allright.. so I'm probably gonna go with an AEM SRI from what everyone has said/futher reading.. it will give me more hp at lower rpm then a CAI (granted not as much hp but w.e). Since I don't really plan on racing this auto anytime soon

thanks for the replies

Comment

As I said… if you're running stock, get the SRI for the noise it makes, because the horsepower gain will be nil.

A $20 unit will be just as good as the $80 one for you. Breathing isn't a bottleneck for our cars.

Comment

well i don't expect the hp gains to be very noticable.. mostly just wondering what the best intake would be for the DD car.

Comment

the only real difference is look but the best aftermarket air intake are the ones that are as far away from the hot air coming off the headers

Comment

Working...
                        X