Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Upper Control Arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper Control Arm

So i'm sure it has been posted before. I just could not find anything. My passenger upper control arm ball joint boot is torn. I was wondering if anybody knew of any aftermarket companies that made upper control arms, or companies that sell replaceable ball joints since honda makes you buy a whole new upper control arm with the ball joint already installed? Correct me if i'm wrong, it's just what somebody told me. Any suggestions?
    '91 DX 4dr, brown on brown

http://www.tasauto.com/
    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
    TASauto and I know Ebay sells them. U might as well just by the entire UCA tho, save u the trouble of having the old ball joint pressed out and the new one installed.

Comment

Pressing it in is not a problem as I have a hydraulic press and proper tools. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I'd be wary of pressing it in. The band of metal holding it in place is fairly thin, and I wouldn't want to subject it to extra strain.

If you notice, Honda only sells entire arms, not replacement upper ball joints. There's a reason for it.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I'd be wary of pressing it in. The band of metal holding it in place is fairly thin, and I wouldn't want to subject it to extra strain.

If you notice, Honda only sells entire arms, not replacement upper ball joints. There's a reason for it.
          Very right he is with that bit of info ^^ ..

Fact of the matter is, I just went thru this myself ..
          MUCH better buying the whole UCA .. trust us ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Tomi, did you have a ball joint slip out, or that band break?

I've never known it to actually happen... it's just not something I ever want to see happen! That's one reason I wouldn't get the Ingalls or SPC adjustable ball joints, without getting a new joint-less control arm (basically, the TASauto unit)

Comment

I've had several sliding ball joint kits installed and haven't had any problems with them. But I completely understand the concern with the metal weakening. Only takes one time. But this time around I opted for the anchor bolt kit. Now I don't have to trip on it at all.

Comment

Tomi, did you have a ball joint slip out, or that band break?

I've never known it to actually happen... it's just not something I ever want to see happen! That's one reason I wouldn't get the Ingalls or SPC adjustable ball joints, without getting a new joint-less control arm (basically, the TASauto unit)
                No Deev .. haven't had THAT bad a luck .. but my guy just told me to go ahead and get a new UCA with the BJ complete .. sooo, I needed one ..
                and I just got both .. fuck it .. I'm all good now!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

I have seen horrors regarding people changing the balljoints instead of the whole upper arm assembly.

1] Slip out. The original grip is not there anymore
                  2] Slip out. The original grip is not there anymore

and

3] Slip out. The original grip is not there anymore

You don't want your brake rotors having buttsecks with the pavement.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                  1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                  2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                  2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                  2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                  2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

It's called profitability

Look at the number of Honda Challenge cars running replaced Upper Balljoints. If the guys that run in those races trust and use them, then I'm pretty sure it's good enough for the street.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

i did both complete arms in about an hour the other night. its only 3 nuts per side, not counting the nut covers and tightening the bushing bolts.
                      way easier to just swap out the whole arm. besides, it has new bushings too, in case your old ones are worn.

we sell the parts separately at NAPA. but for the amount of work/time saved replacing the whole arm is the only way to go.
                      gives you the assurance that all new parts are on your car. no second guessing whether or not your old arm will hold up for the long term....

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
                        It's called profitability

Look at the number of Honda Challenge cars running replaced Upper Balljoints. If the guys that run in those races trust and use them, then I'm pretty sure it's good enough for the street.
                        Just because people do it doesn't mean I'd trust it to be safe. There are plenty of people slammed on cut springs and blown shocks... but that's not a testament to the safety of such a practice.

Also, how many of those cars are Accords? How many of the other cars have similar setups?

And profitability? Really?
                        Then why do they sell the lower ball joint separately, and not only in the full assembly? Why can you buy a TPS, instead of the entire throttle body with it already installed?

I understand what you're saying... but it's a weak argument. Not to mention, the fact that Honda only sells the arm and joint together is only PART of my reasoning. The other is that it takes a good deal of force to get a ball joint in and out of the arm, and the metal holding it in place is fairly thin. This is a very important load bearing part of the car. One that can kill you if it fails. Do you really think it is wise to do something that may compromise the integrity of such an important part?

If you save $100 by replacing the joints only... is that worth the risk? If you crash and get injured, would you be thankful that you saved that $100? I sure as hell wouldn't be. I'll pay a little extra to ensure that I don't get injured or killed, injure or kill someone else, or damage my car.

Comment

So which setup have you guys used from TAS?

This setup- http://www.tasauto.com/Product/Detai...100&d=1717&p=1

or this setup- http://www.tasauto.com/Product/Detai...805&d=1717&p=1

The second link is obviously adjustable and more money. Just trying to get an idea of what everybody is using here? Anybody using the 2nd kit?

I definitely am not gonna go with pressing the joint in myself into the arm. Thinking about it, if i'm gonna do it i'm gonna do it right. Thats why i really like the second link from TAS since no camber kit is needed with that setup, especially with lowering.

From what i've noticed on TAS website is that they also sell just the uppers L/H & R/H seperately, without the lower ball joint included, but it would be nice to just do it all at once, the complete kit and be sure it's done right.

Comment

I totally agree!

Comment

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
                              I've had several sliding ball joint kits installed and haven't had any problems with them. But I completely understand the concern with the metal weakening. Only takes one time. But this time around I opted for the anchor bolt kit. Now I don't have to trip on it at all.
                              Which kits are you referring to? Do you have any pics or links?

Comment

Working...
                              X