Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

ball joint dust boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ball joint dust boots?

well recently ive been working on my suspension in the rear and have been having a lot of trouble separating the rear upper arm from the knuckle. the ball joint is stuck, so i went to autozone and rented a ball joint separator fork. the issue is i had to beat the crud out of the fork and its popping them apart but now the ball joint boots are torn.

my question is, does anyone have experience in replacing the boots and can give me some advice? they are ingall adjustable arms so replacement cost is too high. the joints were originally clean and working well. i believe honda sells the oem boots, but i also saw polyurethane boots from energy suspension. which would be better?

I have never replaced a boot myself. most of the time the boots get tor, dirt gets in them then they get replaced. You wont be able to find a boot any where either ( i tried )

Comment

the boots only tore because i was working on separating the control arms. they havent seen action since. i figured they could be saved with new boots.

i checked with honda and autozone and they both carry some form of replacement boots. im interested in the poly ones cuz they say they are easier to use and stronger . i just dont want to have to replace a whole joint just for the boot.

just looking for some opinions not involving joint replacement lol.

Comment

Originally posted by accordingly811 View Post
        the boots only tore because i was working on separating the control arms. they havent seen action since. i figured they could be saved with new boots.

i checked with honda and autozone and they both carry some form of replacement boots. im interested in the poly ones cuz they say they are easier to use and stronger . i just dont want to have to replace a whole joint just for the boot.

just looking for some opinions not involving joint replacement lol.
        I'd be concerned that moisture from the air is inside the joint now. When it cools outside it will condense inside the boot causing rust. If you're set on replacing the boot, I'd go poly. Very strong and won't rip as easily.
        Last edited by s2cmpugh; 06-23-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I would think the polyurethane boot would be the best as long as it fits the ingalls ball joint.
          [/url]

Comment

I was concerned about contamination as well but they are still greased and the car hasnt been driven since i tore them. garage kept as well. i figure as long as grease stays in there i will replace the boots and regrease the heck out of them. i would think the problems happen when the grease all disappears.

actually just found out the poly boots are noted for being front replacements. do you think the rear and front ball joints are fairly similar?
            Last edited by accordingly811; 06-24-2010, 12:05 AM.

Comment

the boots them selves dont really seal the ball joint off from out side contamination, they arent like a CV boot thats sealed with a clamp, they pretty much just slide on there similar to the ones found on calipers and the slave cylinder, there soul purpose it to hold grease in the space to lubricate the ball joint. id be more concerned with the ball joint its self as the fork process can sometimes damage the ball joint, when you take the boot off inspect it for abrassions, regrease with the proper grease, and refit the new boot that you go with i personally used the ones from advance auto parts, worked fine.

oh yeah and as far as i can tell from looking at them the covers are almost like a universal fit as i said its just for packing grease. so the ones they sell for the fronts should fit the back.

Comment

well i finally got the polyurethane boots in. they are really nice acutally. cleaned and greased up the first joint and put the first boot on. fits really nice and looks good ill get some picks and stuff up if anyones interested. they would make great replacements or even upgrades. stiff and probably gonna add some strength to the rear upper arm.

Comment

Originally posted by accordingly811 View Post
                  well i finally got the polyurethane boots in. they are really nice acutally. cleaned and greased up the first joint and put the first boot on. fits really nice and looks good ill get some picks and stuff up if anyones interested. they would make great replacements or even upgrades. stiff and probably gonna add some strength to the rear upper arm.
                  Those boots are shit. They were too stiff an would always pop the clip off and leak out the grease. And no lol they wont make your suspension stiffer.

Comment

My friend has some poly boots... he didn't clamp them on. Been fine now for years. He only used them because he tore the good boots when doing his brakes, and the joints were never exposed to dirt.

Comment

yeah they dont look like they are designed to be clamped on anyway. the only problem im concerned on is if the joint moves too much the boot might open slightly on the top and allow junk in. i got 2 different sizes and 4 total boots so i can always try the bigger size.

Comment

not 4 sure but have been told that can be fixed with tape and grease. lol. if you catch it in time . lol

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

Just use energy suspension bushings dust boots. Most balloint kits use ES covers
                          NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
                          DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Im using the energy suspension ones and they really arent junk, they just need a little love to get them on good enough. got them special ordered form autozone. i greased the joints up and slipped the new boots right on. no messing with clamps required.

now if the joint is at an angle the boot may come off the very top a bit but not very much. it actually hugs the ring around where the oe boots grab onto. i figure once the car sits and the control arms get pushed up the boots will sit better.

Comment

Working...
                            X