Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

3rd gear grind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd gear grind?

Just one last post for now. All my other gears shift fine, its only the 3rd gear that grinds and it doesn't grind if I ease it in slowly. I'm okay with that for now since I plan on dding my cb7 so I can beat on my maxima or 4runner. The transmission isn't notchy because thats how my s2000 and 4runner felt so...

Possibilities...
    - synchro?
    - clutch fork?

Both don't sound like simple fixes and I am wearing about rebuilding or touching the transmission myself so any suggestions? Should I pay a visit to a shop? Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Its a common problem arising from worn syncros.
    As the Syncro is worn, the shaft speeds can't match up as quickly resulting in the gears grinding before they mesh.

Easiest fix is a 2nd hand trans. But if you did decide to fix it, just keep in mind syncros aren't cheap

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
      Its a common problem arising from worn syncros.
      As the Syncro is worn, the shaft speeds can't match up as quickly resulting in the gears grinding before they mesh.

Easiest fix is a 2nd hand trans. But if you did decide to fix it, just keep in mind syncros aren't cheap
      Yeah I read that too. 2nd hand transmission...should I hit up boneyard row? Theres like an entire street with 10-15 blocks of salvage yards here in Houston. The guy that sold it also mentioned the fluid hasn't been changed before...should I drain and fill with Honda MTF in the mean time?

Comment

Originally posted by tv4184 View Post
        ... I plan on dding my cb7 so I can beat on my maxima or 4runner. The transmission isn't notchy because thats how my s2000 and 4runner felt so...
        So do you have a Maxima and 4Runner or a S2000 and 4Runner
        Rides:

Accord
        92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
        96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
        88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
        92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
        95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
        92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
        91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
        91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
        91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
        91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

If you change the fluid to Honda MTF or GM Synchromesh (I've had luck with that), it may give you a little more time... but nothing short of a rebuild will actually fix it. A used trans is an option, but worn synchros are a common problem, so it's not guaranteed that you won't have the same problem.

Originally posted by JDMDriver View Post
          Keep it on topic, please.

Comment

In my experience i used to have a really notchy 2nd gear. I have changed the fluid to Honda Manual Transmission fluid (not to say the original one was not Honda fluid) and it felt a bit better.

I must add though that it felt better as time went by (not instantaneous), like after several hundred (or maybe because i dont realise it getting better till after it has significanly become better) many kms later.

Then in the next service interval i changed it again (still using Honda fluids). It felt better again (once again only after driving it for sometime).

So if you do change the fluids (and hope for the best) if it is to get better it will not happen overnight.
            Last edited by JDMDriver; 06-22-2010, 09:43 AM.
            Rides:

Accord
            92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
            96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
            88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
            92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
            95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
            92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
            91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

In my experience i used to have a really notchy 2nd gear. I have changed the fluid to Honda Manual Transmission fluid (not to say the original one was not Honda fluid) and it felt a bit better.
              I hope it's not the original 10w30 fluid.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              If you change the fluid to Honda MTF or GM Synchromesh (I've had luck with that), it may give you a little more time... but nothing short of a rebuild will actually fix it. A used trans is an option, but worn synchros are a common problem, so it's not guaranteed that you won't have the same problem.
              There isn't a big difference between Honda MTF and GM Synchromesh right? Should I stay away from additives? Any idea how much a shop would be charging for a rebuild?

Comment

Do not use motor oil.
                I know they say you can use it but i have seen it give that terrible honda 3rd gear noise everytime.
                There are conditioners in the honda fluid that i have seen remove that noise.
                I have personal had that noise in my b series and switched out the fluids and i havent had that noise or problem going on 2 yrs now.
                Might be a good inexpensive way to your fix

Comment

Originally posted by tv4184 View Post
                  I hope it's not the original 10w30 fluid.

There isn't a big difference between Honda MTF and GM Synchromesh right? Should I stay away from additives? Any idea how much a shop would be charging for a rebuild?
                  Never put additives in your transmission.
                  I've actually heard that people preferred the GM fluid over the Honda fluid. I've only run GM myself, and I'm pleased.. but I don't have any experience with the Honda stuff to compare. GM Synchromesh did help significantly with my 3rd and 5th grinds... granted, I was running gear oil (had a shop change the fluid, and they put that in there... I didn't realize until I dropped the trans to do my clutch!)

Comment

I wouldn't dream of using the 10w30 oil. I read the thread talking about when Honda MTF first came out and I think I'll pick some up today. Anybody know anything about adding Auto-RX to our transmissions? I used it in my previous cars in the engine to dissolve deposits before going full synthetic but I haven't decided if its worth the $22/bottle. Their description for use in the transmission says one treatment for the lifetime of the transmission helps get lubrication to parts that aren't getting properly lubricated.

To keep this thread on topic, go check my thread in the image gallery for the answer to the question JDMDriver posted.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Never put additives in your transmission.

Comment

the synchro itself is cheap but cracking open the transmission can be costly.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

A few years ago, I had a similar problem with my 90 LX, the 2-3 shift was getting really tough. A shop opened it up (I pulled it) and wanted $1100 to rebuild. They claimed a big part of that was that Honda had updated 3rd gear so everything involved with that would have to be changed along with worn synchros and shifter forks. I told them to put it in a box. I wound up putting a used (supposedly 60K miles) in. It was supposedly from an Accord, but the right side mount studs had to be moved and the gear ratios are noticably shorter than the LX gears, so I think the tranny is from a Prelude. It is more fun around town, but a bit of a screamer on the highway. If you can verify a low mileage tranny, that is probably the better way to go.
                          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                          X