Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

msd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

msd

Is getting a msd 6a really going to make a difference in performance?

You won't see any difference over the stock ignition, unless your pushing over 600whp or running over 9k rpm.
    Last edited by GhostAccord; 06-14-2010, 08:45 AM.
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

So pretty much its a waste of money.. I thaught it would give me better throttle responds

Comment

Absolutely a waste of money.

Learn what parts do before even considering buying them. It's amazing how much money people waste on unnecessary crap for their cars.

Comment

A quicker flowing intake and a better flowing exhaust will give you a better throttle response. MSD claims it will help with throttle response, I'm not sure that you would see much of a difference with it.

I didn't see much of a difference with the Accel 300+ Thundersport Ignition. (multiple spark discharge) I ran it for about a month and sold it because it wasn't noticeably better than the new OEM ignition setup I had replaced on it.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Yeah I would spend the money on performance mods. The only advantage of an MSD is if you have an internal coil and you want to convert it to external coil. I did this on my 90 but I used an Accel canister coil.

1990 CB7 - Almost Done - Delta 272, SRI, 2.25 catback, Bisi intake manifold gasket, A6 intake double stacked, H22 plenum, AEM cam gear, F23a block, F22a head, Wiseco K20 pistons, DSM 450cc injectors

2004 Z33 - Brembo BBK, Nismo spoiler, Nismo lip, Nismo shift knob, AEM CAI

Comment

Even with that, there's really no reason to do it. People have said the reason for converting to external coil is for the "performance coil options" that exist for external only... but since we don't really need such things, there's no reason for it. That's like a man purchasing expensive tampons for himself... he has no need for them, but hell... might as well buy the good stuff, right?

These things might have a HUGE effect on other cars... just not on ours. The ignition systems used on the F and H engines are very good, and they'll handle what 99% of the tuners out there will throw at them. You'll be making more power than you'd want on a street car before you ever need a better ignition system. Unless you're looking for a full race or dyno queen, you won't need an upgrade.

Comment

I had nearly all the aftermarket bolt ons before I bought the ignition (MSD) and didn't notice ANY increase in feel nor did E.T.'s decrease the very next day at the drag strip. Go for a CAI, exhaust (2.5"), then a cam gear if you have access to a dyno. Then camshaft, tuning, and then gloves. Gloves for the snowball effect that most of us go through.
                F22a1, T3/T4 turbo, Greddy Type RS BOV on left-over AEM CAI piping, Turbo XS manual boost controller, PHAT intercooler, Crzy tuning, Walbro fuel pump, AEM FPR/fuel rail/pulleys/cam gear, Gude cam and throttle body, MSD ignition/cap/coil, NGK wires and Iridium plugs, Fidanza flywheel, ACT clutch, Nuespeed short shifter

9 lbs on stock internals (for 10 min)
                16.2 1/4 mile with basics
                ??.? 1/4 mile with turbo
                139 hp with all bolt-ons
                ??? hp with turbo

STAY TUNED

Comment

Working...
                X