Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Need help. Crankshaft pulley bolt, The devil's seed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help. Crankshaft pulley bolt, The devil's seed.

Sooooo. I bought a CB7. And it needs a water pump changed. I did all that was necessary up until I encountered the crankshaft pulley. I tried to remove it. I have SEVERAL words describing how I feel after failing numerous times. If I said them all, you'd all be desensitized for life. No recovery guaranteed.

That being said here's my problem.
    I can't get the bolt to budge.
    I have tried an electric impact (rated at 230lb's of torque) and no luck. I was really hoping it would've worked since I don't own an air compressor or an impact wrench.
    I let a friend of mine try and it become a wet mess of PB Blaster everywhere.
    I even tried torching it with a MAPP gas torch and torquing it out! No luck. I checked the diy section found the timing belt change video and the guy was using a flipping acetylene torch!
    What am I to do? Should I rent a high powered air compressor and borrow an impact, or should I find an acetylene torch thing?
    I went to the parts stores nearby and they didn't have a pulley removal kit.

I don't want to break the budget, everything I've tried so far has been well under what it would cost to have the water pump changed.
    Should I just get it changed at a shop? It currently can't run. Gah.
    idk what to do.

Or do you guys have any tips?
    Last edited by Gathers; 05-16-2010, 11:15 PM. Reason: Added info

i paid a shop 20 dollars to have them blast it off. they put it on the lift, removed the wheel, blast it off and torqued it back to spec. drove it home and popped it off with my breaker bar.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Mine was a PITA to get out even with a air impact gun it would not come out. I used a propane torch and heated it up for a few mins and used the impact gun again and it finally popped off. If you want you can try it this way I don't know how hot a MAPP gas torch gets but I say try the air impact gun or do like wed3k said and go to the shop. Good luck
      Originally posted by 92jdm
      if you have any mechanical inclination, it should be easier than a drunk highschool girl after prom.

Comment

ive tried mapp gas and sometimes a bolt wont budge. problems with smaller air compressors is that they dont hold maximum psi for very long. shop compressors are huge and will allow you to really go at it on a bolt via impact.

i did a civic and used one of the large allens made to hold honda crankshaft pulley's. i used a huge breaker car and held that one way while my friend used his 19mm on his 30" torque wrench and we pushed opposite ways. this way, you're doubling the amount of torque. once we heard the crack, we blasted it off with an impact.
        I <3 G60.

Comment

you'll need the specialty tool first...and a long ass breaker bar...and to raise the car up to give yourself room.

I used an impact and got no where. I had to jack it up and REALLY hanker down on it. But you might have to what Wes said...some are more pita than others
          ____

Comment

Gah, I am sure the MAPP torch gets hotter than a propane torch. I THINK. I'd have to get the thing towed if anything. It overheats within 15 minutes. I didn't heat the bolt up for more than 6 minutes though, I didn't want to torch the seals up. But if it comes down to it, I guess I might have to get to a shop. Or some mobile mechanic lol. I can't for the love of jesus find the specialty tool needed. PITA I say. PITA!

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648.../dp/B0000TMLWQ

for the price, i cant believe i still dont have one.

I <3 G60.

Comment

I might purchase this, you think it'll do the job?

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                  http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648.../dp/B0000TMLWQ

for the price, i cant believe i still dont have one.
                  oh my! that tool is the shit!!! i have usuallly just taken off the lower cover on my tranny and had someone hold the tranny still. but that tool make that look pointless completely!!!!

too bad i did not have this last year when i rebuit my motor. or when the crank pulley bolt backed out after rebuilding the motor four months after that, or a month ago when my head gasket blew, (increadibly cheap head gasket)

I could have surely used that tool at least 8 times on my car in the last year

Originally posted by Gathers View Post
                  I might purchase this, you think it'll do the job?
                  if you are not having a problem right now keeping the crank from moving while using a breaker bar and a big ass pipe, do not be amazed if it still doesnt help. the tool only keeps the crank from moving
                  Last edited by KB7; 05-17-2010, 02:31 AM.
                  _

Comment

I have the tool posted above and it's been one of the best investments especially since I use it a lot.

Anyways, when it was time to do my mom's 98 Accord, I couldn't get the crank bolt loose, kept breaking my 1/2 drive breaker bars. Took it to a shop to use their air impact, still would not come off. I ended up buying a 3/4 drive 3' breaker bar and extention, used a jack stand as a base to support the breaker bar and keep it parallel with the ground and that finally got it off. Some times they are just really really tight. I also use the same breaker bar for hub nuts as those are also hard to take off at times so it was a good investment as well.

Comment

Soooo I decided to swap out for a newer F22 Sohc and sell the current engine I have to a mechanic. I had 257k miles on it anyway. I am getting the engine and 5 spd trans for 150 buckaroos!

Thanks a lot everyone! And I will be buying that tool as well. especially to wed3k

Comment

sweet deal. just realized your user name is a JDM manufacturer, hella oldskool.
                        I <3 G60.

Comment

I have the tool to hold the crank, but for years i just filled a cylinder with nylon lawnmower starter cord at BDC before compression stroke. Then turn the engine till it won't move anymore. Then you have to get the bolt to come loose, but the engine won't turn. Plus, rope is cheaper than special tools. I've even used a drop cord with the end cut off once in a pinch! Done this probably more than 20 times on many vehicles. Just make sure that you are coming up on the compression stroke, I don't think the valves would get hurt, but don't take any chances.

Comment

Originally posted by nblanton View Post
                            I have the tool to hold the crank, but for years i just filled a cylinder with nylon lawnmower starter cord at BDC before compression stroke. Then turn the engine till it won't move anymore. Then you have to get the bolt to come loose, but the engine won't turn. Plus, rope is cheaper than special tools. I've even used a drop cord with the end cut off once in a pinch! Done this probably more than 20 times on many vehicles. Just make sure that you are coming up on the compression stroke, I don't think the valves would get hurt, but don't take any chances.
                            That sounds like a really bad plan.

Work it with heat, MAPP gas is better than propane but not as good as the oxy acetylene torch. Keep using the impact and when the max PSI wears out of your tank go back to torching it. I probably had to torch mine with propane for about 15-20 min before it broke free with the impact gun.

ALSO! Wear nice gloves, either the mechanics "impact" gloves or welding gloves. That stuff will be really really really hot when it does come out.
                            Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Working...
                            X