Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

when did your timing belt go out on you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when did your timing belt go out on you

i hear that your supposed to replace them every 100,000 miles, not sure though. anyway i have no knowledge of mine ever being replaced and i sure dont want it to go out on me. my cars about to hit 200k.

basically i wanna know at what mileage did yours go out on you and if you just replaced it or if it threw all the "insides" out of alignment and whatnot. its just been on my mind when i drive sometimes and i fear it could happen soon.

I just recently changed my timing belt since my motor is out of the car and I believe you change them every 100,000 miles but not sure.
    You should also change the water pump and the balance shaft belt.

Comment

If your timing belt breaks

Your engine wont run

Your camshaft will no longer turn leaving all valves in what ever position they were at when it broke ( SO most likely a few valves were open )

The pistons keep going and hit the valves and bend them

Its always a safe thing to replace your timing belt ( If you feel confident doing it )

And yeah if your going to replace the timing belt then you should always replace the water pump. Even if the water pump isnt bad yet your right there and you should do it anyways.

Comment

i thought it was every 60k miles

Comment

We had ours replaced around 50k and just got it done again at 150k. So that's about 100k. If you take it to the dealer, they replace it and re-balance your shaft and do an inspection on your valvetrain all included in the price of the timing belt replacement.

Please learn to type!!
          CHECK IT! My ride thread...
          http://www.myspace.com/stephenwaltonphotography
          Originally posted by deevergote
          You'll need to spend real money on parts with real engineering to see any real gains. Anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant, or trying to sell you something.

Comment

If you don't know when it was last replaced....assume that it needs replacement ASAP. Not worth the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by **CB7** View Post
              If you don't know when it was last replaced....assume that it needs replacement ASAP. Not worth the risk.
              exactly, told a friend this when he bought a car and the guy told him he changed the belt 20k miles ago but if you dont know them, dont take their word for it. Of course belt broke within the month, needed a new head.

Comment

God dammit guys. Your making me nervous about my car now. I have no idea when my timing belt was last done.

Comment

Every 100xxx if you're on low budget but ahead is always best! Better be safe than sorry.
                  This is why I love timing chain.

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

never...my dad's lexus didnt have the timing belt changed for 125,000 and when i pulled the motor, the t belt had strands coming out of it
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

For me it's been every 100k miles. Almost time for another. Currently almost at 300K miles now.

Comment

mine was changed about 15k before i bought it, had the timing belt recepts from honda for it, idiots did it them self tho and didnt replace the tensioner so now im afarid of it seizeing up and eatting my timing belt also they put it on out of timing ><
                        Blake.
                        1994 Accord Part out!
                        Me and my step dad's 1991 Accord EX Coupe MRT

82 accord-rip, 94 geo-sold, 82 cavilier-rip,81 civic-rip,88 accord- rip, 88 legend- rip, 91 civic- sold,97 geo-sold, 92 accord- sold 94 accord- RIP, 1990 Camry- RIP

Comment

mine broke at 250k
                          www.stl-imports.com

Referral: crx08

support the import community

Comment

The proper schedule is (100,000km's or 60,000miles) / 5 years - which ever comes first.
                            Mines due next year and I've done less than 20,000kms (12,000miles)

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

mine did not break as I did not neglect it.

Change it no later than 90k...no matter how many you've seen go past 120k, it's not safe.

it is recommended actually at 60-75k but everyone I know (honda technicians included at the dealership I used to work at) go no longer than 90k on THEIR cars... customers...60k HA HA...I go by their recommendations for their cars of course.
                              ____

Comment

Working...
                              X