Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

5 Speed Swap, Parts or Parts Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Speed Swap, Parts or Parts Car

Ok guy's I have a question, I was wondering if I could use a 5 speed parts car and use everything off of that or if it won't work? Or if it would be "easier/work better to buy all of the parts out of a junk yard? I am asking be cause I'm trying to save the most money and it seems as if a parts car would be nearly half the price as just getting parts.
    If your confused just ask so I can possibly reword it better.
    Thanks.

^^^^^
    Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7

If you can find a parts car for cheap, do it.

Most 5 speed conversions seem to run about $500 for all the parts. Some pay less, some pay more... but everyone seems to agree that it's a reasonable expectation.

If you can get a parts car for less than $500, or one with enough usable stuff to sell off to recoup your cost.. go for it. As long as you have the time, a place to store it and work on it, and a place that will take it when you're done with it.

Comment

Thanks Deeve. So from your response I'm understanding you can use everything off of a 5spd and be all good, no other parts need to be bought other then possibly motor/tranny mounts?
      Last edited by brsteinbach; 04-26-2010, 09:12 PM.

^^^^^
      Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7

Comment

Originally posted by brsteinbach View Post
        Thanks Deeve. So from your response I'm understanding you can use everything off of a 5spd and be all good, no other parts need to be bought other then possibly motor/tranny mounts?
        you could use motor/tranny mounts if they are there. but you'll also want to buy a new clutch, unless you're lucky enough to get a good one.
        Originally posted by scudweiser
        once again people, need i remind you that there is no road between the kitchen and the bedroom, and therefore women need not drive?

Comment

Mkay, good to know it would be ok to use the old mounts. What clutch would be a good replacement? I'm not going to be crazy with it cause this will be my first 5 spd.

^^^^^
          Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7

Comment

Originally posted by brsteinbach View Post
            Mkay, good to know it would be ok to use the old mounts. What clutch would be a good replacement? I'm not going to be crazy with it cause this will be my first 5 spd.
            im also doin a 5speed swap

im using a exedy clutch

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              If you can find a parts car for cheap, do it.

Most 5 speed conversions seem to run about $500 for all the parts. Some pay less, some pay more... but everyone seems to agree that it's a reasonable expectation.

If you can get a parts car for less than $500, or one with enough usable stuff to sell off to recoup your cost.. go for it. As long as you have the time, a place to store it and work on it, and a place that will take it when you're done with it.
              Quote for Truth

I had a parts car for my last Honda, and it was fantastic having all the parts at hand. Plus, like he said, you can definatly sell parts if you want to, but then again, those are parts you might need, right?

I say parts car will pay off in spades for you, if you have a place to store it and work on it. Obviously, if its going to be a dead car on teh side of a busy street, that's not so great. Do the best with what you have, and if its a good parts car, and you've got the room, go for it.

Comment

thats what i got in myne....does very nicely
                MIKE KOLODIEJ #11

Comment

you will need a mount from esp explicitspeedperfomance.com and you will need to have the right tranny for that mount. its better to get that mount than to cut and weld. i just swapped my car to a 5 speed not to long ago. i believe their is a write up in the diy section that will get you through it np.
                  Accord SE

93se
                  Members Ride
                  Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
                  Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

Originally posted by ingold View Post
                    you could use motor/tranny mounts if they are there. but you'll also want to buy a new clutch, unless you're lucky enough to get a good one.
                    you have to call esp and get a custom tranny mount and the tranz has to be a certain year and model. esp site has the info. better than cutting and welding.
                    Accord SE

93se
                    Members Ride
                    Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
                    Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

Originally posted by esskater892 View Post
                      you will need a mount from esp explicitspeedperfomance.com and you will need to have the right tranny for that mount. its better to get that mount than to cut and weld. i just swapped my car to a 5 speed not to long ago. i believe their is a write up in the diy section that will get you through it np.
                      Originally posted by esskater892 View Post
                      you have to call esp and get a custom tranny mount and the tranz has to be a certain year and model. esp site has the info. better than cutting and welding.
                      The most difficult part of the job for me was to weld the 5spd bracket to the car. Remember, you need the 5spd bracket. Auto bracket will not work in your favor. the Auto bracket sits higher than the 5spd one and the auto bracket is like an 1 1/2 inch futher to the firewall than the 5spd. so you have to have the correct measurments if you are going to weld. I have some info on welding in my sig if you have to go that route. eesskater mentioned the ESP mounts. that would eliminate the welding.excellent choice!

Comment

Working...
                      X