Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension

OK....Well now....

First of all, I want to know if I should cut the bumpstops in half, or down to like an inch and a half due to the 2" drop the springs will give the car. Or should I just cut them off entirely? I was considering just cuttin' them off completely...but wondered if maybe they might serve a better purpose than none at all and thought maybe I should just cut them down to size. I was thinking about an inch and a half. I can't find much on it here on the site. The DIY suspension install mildly covers it, and another thread I found and post by accrdpower says

"...the yellow spongy things are called bumpstops....i just took mine out. i'm riding on the struts anyway."

So uh, maybe just take them out completely?

Second, I can't get the DAMN TOP HATS ON THE FRONT STRUTS...I do NOT want to use my impact gun to rattle them on, that sounds like a bad idea. My brother said that could potentially heat up the struts and risk damaging them leading to a leak. I do not want that. Yesterday I put the strut up in place, attached the top fork bolt, and then tried attaching the bottom fork bolt but couldn't get the damn thing to line up.

I tried using the oem jack to push it up in to place, but I don't have anyone to help pull down on the upper control arm to get it to line up...It's damn near impossible. but, with the jack underneath it, under pressure it seems to stop the strut from spinning and I was able to tighten the bolt down some...But I ended up taking it back out cause I realized the whole bumpstop issue....

ACHTUNG please!! I really need some wisdom on this whole thing!!!
    '93 LX Coupe

update

ok, so apparently, DON'T cut the bumpstops off...I was reading that you'll bottom out the strut and fuck up the internal seals and collapse the diaghram. Which sounds horrible...1 answer found...

now about that whole getting the bastard fork to line up with the bolt hole......??? anyone got any suggestions!?
    '93 LX Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by jakeafton View Post
      ok, so apparently, DON'T cut the bumpstops off...I was reading that you'll bottom out the strut and fuck up the internal seals and collapse the diaghram. Which sounds horrible...1 answer found...

now about that whole getting the bastard fork to line up with the bolt hole......??? anyone got any suggestions!?
      The top hat is on crooked. At least from what you explain thats what it sounds like.

Comment

Crooked? That's odd, I figured with the spring in tight it didn't matter how the top hat went up there. If the 3 bolts are able to push through all the way, does it matter which bolt goes through which hole? hmm..
        '93 LX Coupe

Comment

ACK! Any takers on this? I was thinking about taking the oem jack and putting it on TOP of the UCA and pushing it down? Dangerous?
          '93 LX Coupe

Comment

92smokeaccord - I have a spring compressor, but I can't maneuver the strut and springs up behind the control arm with it on there. I have an idea, and my brother is going to be helping me with the install later tomorrow after work. I just need 4 hands and I've only got two!!
            '93 LX Coupe

Comment

Ok,

you're right about cutting the bumpstops in half. They're sort of hourglass shaped... so cutting them through the skinny part works well. You need some sort of bumpstop, you are correct.

As for the tophat not fitting... you need to compress the spring. Then install the tophat. Then remove the compressors. THEN install the entire unit onto the car. There's no need to try to fit the compressors into the already cramped space.

4 hands will definitely help, but it's not necessary. I've done suspension by myself, and I'm pretty darn clumsy.

As for lining up the bolt... yeah, it sucks. The rears can be even worse!
              The stock jack trick is one I used. Very helpful.
              Next, get a screwdriver that you're not fond of (in case you break it). And use that to align the hole. Being skinnier than the bolt, it will be easier to maneuver.
              Once you get it aligned enough to get the bolt in, you can gently tap the bolt in with a hammer (or a large ratchet, as I always do... probably not smart, but Sears will give me a new one if I break it!)
              With a flashlight, see if you can see the bolt through the other side. Once the bolt catches the threads, you're home free.

I've actually had to have someone stand on the rotor/drum to help align the bolt as well.

Comment

GREAT! I'm gonna try the oem jack/screwdriver thing here tonight I hope...If that doesn't work I'll wait till my brother can get over here so he can or I can stand on the rotor...
                '93 LX Coupe

Comment

OK...

This is outta hand! Thanks deev, I was able to get the lower fork bolt in and everything tightened up. Except the upper strut nut(hehe). I can NOT get that thing to thread...the strut spins WAAAAY too easy and the thread must be kinda fucked a little bit.

I even did as you said deev, busted out some spring compression stylee, then stacked everything together, tophat, the gold washer, and then tried tightening the nut down....I got it about flush with the top of the strut bolt, where the adjuster thing is on these struts. since I could NOT get it anymore, I decided that I would just try and get it on the car.

Success! I got it on the car!

FAIL!!! even with the tire replaced and lowering the car so a lot of pressure is placed on the damn strut, THE STRUT STILL SPINS!?!? mother of god man, what do I have to do to get that nut tightened down without the strut SPINNING!?
                  '93 LX Coupe

Comment

update

BOOOYAAA got it. I'll do the other side tomorrow and start on the rears...pfft. Sweet.
                    '93 LX Coupe

Comment

Working...
                    X