Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Has anyone used this Engine Restorer product?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone used this Engine Restorer product?

Hey guys, im about to do an oil change soon, and saw that this product helps fills in scratches and such that are in your cylinders. I know there's a post about this but im wondering, have any of you guys used this product before? and will it be safe to use? im running a '91 Accord EX 230,000 miles.

http://www.restoreusa.com/Engine_Restorer.html

That's the link to the site if you want to take a look at it. Thanks.

Originally posted by Aojiru View Post
    Hey guys, im about to do an oil change soon, and saw that this product helps fills in scratches and such that are in your cylinders. I know there's a post about this but im wondering, have any of you guys used this product before? and will it be safe to use? im running a '91 Accord EX 230,000 miles.

http://www.restoreusa.com/Engine_Restorer.html

That's the link to the site if you want to take a look at it. Thanks.
    Which scratches are you wanting to fill in?
    The honing "scratches"?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I've used it a bunch of times, but I'm not sure if it did anything.
      1994 Honda Accord SiR Sports Sedan

“When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.” - Abraham Lincoln
      CD5Tuner - A Fifth Generation Accord Community
      PS3 tag: Mechtroop

Comment

for an old car such as mine, do you think it'll cause any harm?

Comment

I used it in my old civic hatch. Hard to say if it actually did anything. I don't feel that it did any harm either.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

It won't really harm anything... but it won't help anything considerably either. IMO, it's a waste of money. No can of goo is going to fix internal engine damage.

The only can of miracle stuff that I'd ever use (and only in moderation) is SeaFoam. It's a great fuel system cleaner when put in the gas, and it will clean the engine very well when run through a vacuum line, or poured into the crankcase (which can cause damage if allowed to run with it in the oil... it is recommended that you change the oil TWICE after adding it...)

Comment

How about Chevron Techron Concentrate? I was thinking about adding that in my fuel.

Both the engine restorer as well as the fuel system restorer both sound like they work the same way to me. The only difference is that the engine restorer supposedly repairs the scratches in your cylinders.

So i guess the last question i want to address is...should i use the engine restorer or the chevron techron concentrate?
              Last edited by Aojiru; 04-11-2010, 01:30 PM.

Comment

About eight years ago I used that shit in four different cars (my 90 CB, 87 626, 76 Land Cruiser, and a 93 Tracer) and it did NOTHING but make the motor oil a different color... on the plus side it didn't cause any damage (that I know of). I'd say most people who try it and "feel" a difference are feeling a placebo effect or the effect that comes with changing your oil for the first time in two years .

What exactly are you trying to fix? Because whatever it is you will never find the fix in a can.
                Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Originally posted by frootloops View Post
                  About eight years ago I used that shit in four different cars (my 90 CB, 87 626, 76 Land Cruiser, and a 93 Tracer) and it did NOTHING but make the motor oil a different color... on the plus side it didn't cause any damage (that I know of). I'd say most people who try it and "feel" a difference are feeling a placebo effect or the effect that comes with changing your oil for the first time in two years .

What exactly are you trying to fix? Because whatever it is you will never find the fix in a can.
                  haha, im not trying to fix anything. It's just that, the can says it can repair the scratches in your cylinder, thus, restoring your compression, restoring your engline life, etc. So i was curious to see if anyone has tried this product and has worked successfully. So far, this engine restorer product seems like a load of crap! I think i might return the can.

But one thing i would like to know (if this Engine Restore product doesnt work) is that, should i use Chevron Techron Concentrate? I heard some good reviews on it.

Comment

Why would there be scratches in your cylinder walls in the first place?

See, the Engine Restore ads are misleading... they suggest that it's common knowledge that your cylinder walls are all pitted and scored up. In reality, in an engine that hasn't been abused (running dirty oil for lengthy periods of time, left to sit unstarted for lenghty periods of time, etc...), there should be no significant damage to the cylinder walls in the first place.
                    It's like me telling that i have a product that you need... because my product will prevent pain in your uterus for the rest of your life! (this example does not apply to female members... )

The fuel system cleaners can help a bit. Fuel can often have some sediment, or leave some residue of its own. Again, that won't hurt anything... but you don't necessarily need that either.

Products you find in a bottle won't really fix anything. Either you don't have problems to fix, or you do have problems that some snake oil won't fix.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Why would there be scratches in your cylinder walls in the first place?

See, the Engine Restore ads are misleading... they suggest that it's common knowledge that your cylinder walls are all pitted and scored up. In reality, in an engine that hasn't been abused (running dirty oil for lengthy periods of time, left to sit unstarted for lenghty periods of time, etc...), there should be no significant damage to the cylinder walls in the first place.
                      It's like me telling that i have a product that you need... because my product will prevent pain in your uterus for the rest of your life! (this example does not apply to female members... )

The fuel system cleaners can help a bit. Fuel can often have some sediment, or leave some residue of its own. Again, that won't hurt anything... but you don't necessarily need that either.

Products you find in a bottle won't really fix anything. Either you don't have problems to fix, or you do have problems that some snake oil won't fix.
                      Oh i see, hey, thanks alot man. Ever since my cousin bought this car back in 93, it's been oil changed every 3000 miles. Til now 234,000 and it's still running strong. So im assuming there isnt any siginificant engine damage if i were to abide by what you said about the whole dirty oil thing. In that case, i'll pick up one of the Chevron Techron Concentrates just to see if my fuel gauge stops giving me (close to) faulty readings. Thanks again everyone that helped me decide on this stuff and enlightening me!

Comment

it is snake oil...it will do nothing...don't waste your cash.
                        ____

Comment

Originally posted by Aojiru View Post
                          Oh i see, hey, thanks alot man. Ever since my cousin bought this car back in 93, it's been oil changed every 3000 miles. Til now 234,000 and it's still running strong. So im assuming there isnt any siginificant engine damage if i were to abide by what you said about the whole dirty oil thing. In that case, i'll pick up one of the Chevron Techron Concentrates just to see if my fuel gauge stops giving me (close to) faulty readings. Thanks again everyone that helped me decide on this stuff and enlightening me!
                          If the problem is faulty fuel gauge readings, no bottle of stuff is going to fix that. The in-tank sensor is probably failing.

Comment

The faulty fuel gauge readings used to be VERY observable. Meaning i could really see it fluctuate up and down.

But somehow, it's becoming normal again. Like it doesnt fluctuate as much as before. T

o give you an idea of my situation as of now. Let's say my needle is pointing at my red Empty box. However my empty light is not on. When i drive a little, my needle points just above the red empty box. That's how it is right now.

Comment

my empty light hasnt worked in years

Comment

Working...
                              X