Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Starting long-stored '91

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting long-stored '91

Hey guys!

I just found your site in searching for cb7 stuff, which I was doing because on Monday/Tuesday I should receive a key in the mail from my friend that will allow me to get his 1991 Accord sedan out of storage (he moved to Hawaii). Basically, I'm gonna get it in working order for when he returns, and until then it's mine to tinker with.

My main question for you all is this: the car's been sitting for 1.5-2 years, so aside from issues common to all cars in this situation (tire flat spots, battery charge, etc.) is there anything in particular I should be aware of when trying to get it going again?

Thanks very much for your input!

Cheers,

Andrew

Step 1 Purchase and install a new battery. If the car has been in storage less than a year the battery may be rechargeable.

Step 2 Change the oil and oil filter.

Step 3 Remove the spark plugs and squirt a small amount (a few tablespoons) of motor oil into each cylinder to pre-lubricate the engine. (I've also known guys to slap a socket on the crank bolt and rotate the engine through a couple of fuel free revolutions to help lube her up before cranking.)

Step 4 Take the car off the jack stands and add air (probably 32 PSI, but check your owner's manual) to all the tires.

Step 5 Change the fuel filter if the car has been in storage longer than three years.

Step 6 Drain the gas tank and add new fuel only if the car won't run.

Step 7 Replace the spark plug cables if the car has been in storage five or more years or if the cables look cracked and brittle.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post

Step 3 Remove the spark plugs and squirt a small amount (a few tablespoons) of motor oil into each cylinder to pre-lubricate the engine. (I've also known guys to slap a socket on the crank bolt and rotate the engine through a couple of fuel free revolutions to help lube her up before cranking.)
      err I wouldn't even worry about that but if you are just pull the coil or fuse and crank the starter.

Comment

I'll need to follow this advice myself. My H22 hasn't been started for over a year and a half now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
          err I wouldn't even worry about that but if you are just pull the coil or fuse and crank the starter.
          Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you do that, just like starting the car cold without preparation after storage, there's probably no oil in the head immediately available for those cylinder walls and while you're doing that gas is getting injected into the cylinders as well. How many starter cycles will it take before oil gets pumped to the cylinders? (I don't know, that's why I'm asking).

I would say:

1st) best is to manually lube the cylinders and turn the engine manually (OP/ajile: counterclockwise for these Accords! Normal direction of engine rotation is counterclockwise for the Accord engine.) at the crank pulley bolt.
          2nd best: just manually lube the cylinders
          3rd best (least preferable) is to just start the car without doing anything special about it.

I'm not sure whether pulling the coil primary and turning the starter motor with the ignition key is fits in this scheme, maybe 2.5th? Just my opinion.

That being said, when I took my car out of 6 mos storage I didn't manually lube the cylinder walls, and nothing bad (that I'm aware of) happened but that was mainly an oversight on my part and I would prefer to do it rather than not on a car that's been in storage.
          Last edited by batever; 04-10-2010, 01:12 PM.

Comment

I did the same. Left my car sit for a few months, and just started it up... no problems. However, I could definitely see issues arising with the pistons moving at high speed in dry cylinders. The ringlands in our cars are fairly fragile, and that could easily do damage.

My 86 Accord was sitting for about 6 months after I sold it to a friend... and he gave it back to me. We started it up, and I drove it home. As soon as I hit the highway, the engine was burning oil VERY badly... to the point where it has to be replaced or rebuilt (I've since bought two engines for it... neither of which has gone in yet...)

Though you must be careful adding oil to the cylinders through the spark plug hole. Too much will hydrolock the motor when the cylinder is in the compression stage.

I know the oil pump is mechanical, so turning the engine by hand very carefully should result in oil getting to the cylinder walls, correct?

Comment

Just give it the regular maintanence..new oil, spark plug, engine cleaner, all those sort of things..cause it's been sitting there
              VS

Mercyboy: I rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

MERCYBOY THREAD:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=158241
              1990 RHD Honda accord si CB3 Canada http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196287
              MY CB7 ON YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJID_IxwiNY

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Though you must be careful adding oil to the cylinders through the spark plug hole. Too much will hydrolock the motor when the cylinder is in the compression stage.
                An aerosolized petroleum lubricant would work well. I've heard of people using PB Blast but come to think of it that's not the best lubricant. But much better than nothing I'm sure.

I know the oil pump is mechanical, so turning the engine by hand very carefully should result in oil getting to the cylinder walls, correct?
                yeah I'd assume so as well.

Comment

Hey, don't forget to check the coolant level and, preferably, drain and replace it. I just realized that wasn't on visualpoet's list.

Comment

Op here.

Thanks very much for the feedback! A lot of good suggestions--I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get a chance to start working on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X