Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How torque for the oil drain plug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How torque for the oil drain plug?

I google the info and I got a general info of 30 lb-ft. If I don't torque it and just hand tighten like before, some times I see a small drip. Since I use 30 lb-ft, I haven't seen any leak.
    My question here is 30 lb-ft too much or too little?

Thanks,

32ft/lb for steel sumps

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

and don't forget to change that copper washer each time..

Comment

Originally posted by casterX View Post
        I don't have the copper washer but I bought some what seems like aluminum from Ebay and it seems to work well. By the way, the original got the thread repaired on the pan so the bolt drain plug is a 19mm and not the smaller 17mm.

Thanks,

Comment

You dont need to do it each time.. Just inspect the condition to make sure it will still seal and will still crush when you tighten it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
            You dont need to do it each time.. Just inspect the condition to make sure it will still seal and will still crush when you tighten it.

true.. but i'd rather spend the extra .50 and not worry about the old one not sealing or over tightening and striping threads, thus saving me an extra trip to the parts store or fixing stripped threads.. but that's just me..

better yet.. spend an extra $$$ for an oil drain valve and not worry about it ever.. does the job 2x quick and easy..

Comment

true.. but i'd rather spend the extra .50 and not worry about the old one not sealing or over tightening and striping threads, thus saving me an extra trip to the parts store or fixing stripped threads.. but that's just me..

better yet.. spend an extra $$$ for an oil drain valve and not worry about it ever.. does the job 2x quick and easy..

Fram makes something like that and it is epic. if the oil filter comes off by hand, i dont need any tools to do an oil change.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

looks cool but on a lowered car thats gonna be the lowest point on the pan and its not gonna be cool when you smash that on the ground and jack up the oil pan or possibly break it off.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                member ride thread
                11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Speaking of oil changes, and I'm in the mood to thread jack, how the f do you remove the oil filter with out spilling oil all over the down pipe and axle?
                  Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                  Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                  Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                  Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                  Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                  Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
                    Speaking of oil changes, and I'm in the mood to thread jack, how the f do you remove the oil filter with out spilling oil all over the down pipe and axle?
                    Sit a piece of cardboard at the base of the filter so the oil will flow down that instead of the block.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

my local honda dealer only wants $0.25 for each drain plug washer. But I just buy 3 OEM Honda filters when I run out and the guy throws them in everytime...pretty sweet. Plus I get a discount via work, I guess we have a business acct. w/ them so the filters are like 30% off retail.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

you can get the washers cheap at any hardware store for peanuts.... might as well change it every time!

also, we by honda genuine filters by the case all 3 accords, fit, and del sol use the same filter... it may be the same on my new lawn mower engine too
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Where do I buy one of those?
                          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                            looks cool but on a lowered car thats gonna be the lowest point on the pan and its not gonna be cool when you smash that on the ground and jack up the oil pan or possibly break it off.
                            Yeah thats what i'm actually wonderring...

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                              Where do I buy one of those?
                              Thanks.
                              x2

im really interested on doing this. i already messed up one oil pan

JENNA 91 LX

RIP 12-11-09 - 12/06/10
                              JANE 99 Infiniti i30
                              2-9-11 - current
                              "Life is simple, you make choices and you don't look back."

Comment

Working...
                              X